fridge burner flame very small

antiqueman

Hi all
I was away in the shed last week and it seems all the meat for the bbq went off after a couple of days, fridge not cooling on gas, yesterday I took the burner out and it has a very small flame so cleaned it all although it looked fine, put it back together but still a very small flame so I removed the gas supply pipe to the burner and put a light to it, hardly any gas coming through. I am waiting for her outdoors to get back so she can press the relevant buttons and I will have a look to see if I can trace a blockage. Any thoughts in the meantime would be appreciated. maybe the thermastat valve is not opening fully oh its a 3 way dometic.
as always you clever lot always have ideas. Thanks in anticipation.

I also had a similar problem,going to spain this year.Soot had dropped down from the flue.My cure was to cover the jet with a bit of rag,take the top vent off moving the baffle wire up and down,blew the soot off the jet with my bike pump and been working fine since.Mind you on our tour of scandinavia it didn;t work very hard.

If all other appliances are OK it could be the gas valve, not the cheapest option though as they are approximately £150 depending on model, at that price you don't want to replace it if it isn't faulty, I have removed the knob on mine and sprayed inside it a few time with isopropyl electrical cleaner or with WD40 Fast Drying Contact Cleaner
After spraying inside I have turned the knob backwards and forwards a few times, that has kept mine going for a few years after being told it was faulty
This is my flame now

First thank you for all replies wonderful site this.
This is what I have done, some may say this is not the way to mess with gas but this is what I have done, firstly I disconected pipe from on of gas switch and connected a rubber pipe to the feed to the burner to a propane bottle to see if this proved the pipe clear, the burner had a big flame so nothing wrong with burner or feed pipe. next I diconected feed pipe to thermostat and found gas there " oops I lit gas with a lighter, so my conclusion there was gas to inlet but no gas to burner I then connected spare gas bottle to the thermostat inlet but nothing or very little at the outlet, so I took the whole control valves apart bit by bit, lots of bits and some seemed to have no purpose but all seemed free but I could not blow through inlet to exit so thought it was thermostat valve so I removed it, had to bend the tabs holding it to remove it, all seemed fine but I pressed the gas on button and pressed the little pin that the thermostsat presses on and I could blow through from inlet to outlet so presumed the thermostat bit was a failure. anyway while maid looked on ebay I put it back together blew in the inlet with on valve pressed and I could blow through the system. I put it all back together now have a good flame.
not sure how I cured it or if my methods are normal but meat will not go off in there now.
I am still open to replies.

First thank you for all replies wonderful site this.
This is what I have done, some may say this is not the way to mess with gas but this is what I have done, firstly I disconected pipe from on of gas switch and connected a rubber pipe to the feed to the burner to a propane bottle to see if this proved the pipe clear, the burner had a big flame so nothing wrong with burner or feed pipe. next I diconected feed pipe to thermostat and found gas there " oops I lit gas with a lighter, so my conclusion there was gas to inlet but no gas to burner I then connected spare gas bottle to the thermostat inlet but nothing or very little at the outlet, so I took the whole control valves apart bit by bit, lots of bits and some seemed to have no purpose but all seemed free but I could not blow through inlet to exit so thought it was thermostat valve so I removed it, had to bend the tabs holding it to remove it, all seemed fine but I pressed the gas on button and pressed the little pin that the thermostsat presses on and I could blow through from inlet to outlet so presumed the thermostat bit was a failure. anyway while maid looked on ebay I put it back together blew in the inlet with on valve pressed and I could blow through the system. I put it all back together now have a good flame.
not sure how I cured it or if my methods are normal but meat will not go off in there now.
I am still open to replies.
Lol while Maid looked on Ebay lucky you to have a maid glad its fixed hopefully

Atb Michael

When you say thermostat valve do you mean where the flame safety device (thermocouple) fastens to the control valve. If so maybe just a sticky solenoid in the valve.

As far as I know, there is no thermostat on the gas side. The temperature control knob simply increases or decreases the size of the flame.

well it has a copper pipe leading to a bi metal strip that seems to control a gas flow valve so I presumed it was a thermostat there is another copper pipe that leads to the electrical knob with numbers on it. so why would it be there, I am not saying you are wrong just seeking knowledge.

The bimetal strip is how the thermocouple works. It was my mobile engineer that explained the gas control knob to me. I'm no expert.

the thermocouple has another totally different connection, wish I had took pics now but not pulling the bloody thing out again, the thermocouple is connectected to gas on knob.

dunno, the valve that was not opening was behind the knob with the numbers on it on the gas side.
@ fazerloz, sorry not used to this new system yet to get quotes in.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back