French Cols

barge1914

Has anyone travelled the Col de la Bonette, Col de la Cayolle, or Col de’Allos? I am wondering if there are any issues for a 6m A-Class, such as critical heights or widths? Likewise Col de la Lombard’s into Italy. Any feedback welcome.

Done first 3 with 6 mtr pvc but seem to remember Craola had a narrow bridge with a sharp bend off it. To cross to Italy we use Mont Cenis with plenty of parking at lake just before border + aire at lake side
Try grand route of the alps website we done the full route geneva to menton

Last edited:
Done first 3 with 6 mtr pvc but seem to remember Craola had a narrow bridge with a sharp bend off it. To cross to Italy we use Mont Cenis with plenty of parking at lake just before border + aire at lake side
Try grand route of the alps website we done the full route geneva to menton
Where is Craola, I can’t find it on Google maps, is that the correct spelling?

Route des Grandes Alpes. We’ve been all along there except for the Col de la Bonette. A fine route. Next trip we are heading up all the dead end valleys that the Route cuts across, and visiting the passes in the maritime Alpes we missed last time; then over C.de la Lombarde and doing the same with all the valleys on the Italian side. We never go anywhere by the easiest route…where the fun in that.

The Murvi is a 6mtr panal van and we have travelled over most of the cols between Italy and Switzerland,France,Austria and the only one we had
a problem with was the Splugenpass just north of the artist colony in Chiavenna.

I had to stop and to and fro a bit to get round one of the tight hairpins much to the amusement of some motorcyclist
having a brew on the side of the road.

Dezi

Oh my. I don’t know how my spellchecker turned Craola into Col de la Cayolle. It was Craola I couldn’t find.
Not you spell checker my spelling Heres a tricky bit and I see 3 mtr hight warn sign at the Col + some pics we took enroute
Screenshot 2021-08-02 16.17.16.png

Attachments

• France 2014 Autumn  Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (14).JPG
    France 2014 Autumn Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (14).JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 128
  • France 2014 Autumn  Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (4).JPG
    France 2014 Autumn Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (4).JPG
    726.2 KB · Views: 133
  • France 2014 Autumn  Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (21).JPG
    France 2014 Autumn Up & Down to Col de Cayolle (21).JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Length won't be a problem, don't know how high your van is though.

Col de la Bonette, while the highest is comparatively a motorway compared to the others, which are single track with plenty of passing places for much of there length. They are all good drives though.
If you don't mind dead ends I can recommend Colle del Nivolet, if it's not too far out the way. Plenty of space at the top during the week, packed solid with locals on weekend. Famous as the escape route on The Italian Job.

https://goo.gl/maps/V2WyvgLKsao8K77A6

Bit of dash cam from Col de’Allos

Col de la Bonette, while the highest is comparatively a motorway compared to the others, which are single track with plenty of passing places for much of there length. They are all good drives though.
If you don't mind dead ends I can recommend Colle del Nivolet, if it's not too far out the way. Plenty of space at the top during the week, packed solid with locals on weekend. Famous as the escape route on The Italian Job.

I’ll have a look at that, glutton for punishment!

Colle del Nivolet. That’s one to add to our itinerary, missed that one. Although we first planned the trip before Brexit so we may have to prune a few places.

Don't forget Mont Cenis all 2 lane rd after the Col there's a restaurant then bit further on right a turning down to the aire (reading reviews they say no services I thought there was a tap)

Last edited:

Certainly don't fancy some of those passing places 😱

Not you spell checker my spelling Heres a tricky bit and I see 3 mtr hight warn sign at the Col + some pics we took enroute
View attachment 100701
I’m revisiting this route. Since we first planned it COVID and a change of van have intervened. Whilst our van in theory fits within the dimensions allowed 6m x 2.35 x 2.9 we have awning and high level non-folding mirrors that add another 0.3m to our total width at high level. So I now have my doubts seeing the shape of the tunnel. Is it wider and higher than the max dimensions as most French tunnels are…or should I forget it?

Hmm. Have you done this route, or just looked at it on U-tube? At least it doesn’t seem to have tunnels like the Col de Cayolle. I’m curious to find out if there are high level obstacles since our non-folding mirrors add another 0.3m onto our 2.35 width.

We are planning to go to Ceresole Reale. That looks a cracking route up to Col del Nivolet. However there seems to be quite a lot of traffic. I’m wondering how much of a nuisance we might find ourselves in a 6m x 2.35 x 2.9m A class with non-folding mirrors…it depends on size and number of passing places…any thoughts?

The Murvi is a 6mtr panal van and we have travelled over most of the cols between Italy and Switzerland,France,Austria and the only one we had
a problem with was the Splugenpass just north of the artist colony in Chiavenna.

I had to stop and to and fro a bit to get round one of the tight hairpins much to the amusement of some motorcyclist
having a brew on the side of the road.

Dezi
Hi Dezi
We’re there sufficient and wide enough passing places? We are 6m x 2.35 x 2.9m high with high level mirrors that add another 300mm on the width at high level. Any tunnels?

We are planning to go to Ceresole Reale. That looks a cracking route up to Col del Nivolet. However there seems to be quite a lot of traffic. I’m wondering how much of a nuisance we might find ourselves in a 6m x 2.35 x 2.9m A class with non-folding mirrors…it depends on size and number of passing places…any thoughts?
You won't be a nuisance at all. The tightest bits will be in towns, but I don't recall anything of the drive up that would give me any concern at all.

Only thing I would suggest, Is don't drive up on a Sunday eve, when it seems like half of Turin are on their way home. During the week, once past the last towns, the road is pretty empty.

It's a great route and the stop up the top is one of the best, well worth doing. It's certainly one of the top places on my list to get back to.

I do have a video up on utube, from one of the reservoirs up.

Added a few pics to whet the appetite.
IMG_0276.jpg
IMG_0285.jpg
IMG_0288.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Dezi
We’re there sufficient and wide enough passing places? We are 6m x 2.35 x 2.9m high with high level mirrors that add another 300mm on the width at high level. Any tunnels?

I remember theres some lowish tunnels on the Splügen Pass. Can't remember what I was driving though, but pretty sure the tunnels are short of 3 m though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back