Ford Ka (1st gen) a frame fitting

travelbug

Hi all,

I just bought a secondhand caratow A frame for my ford ka but don't have fitting instructions. I've worked out how it fits but in interest if safety would like to check with the official fitting instructions. Does anyone know where I can download a copy? If not does anyone have any pictures of one installed? I've tried to contact the company but they're not answering 🙁

Thanks.

Hi all,

I just bought a secondhand caratow A frame for my ford ka but don't have fitting instructions. I've worked out how it fits but in interest if safety would like to check with the official fitting instructions. Does anyone know where I can download a copy? If not does anyone have any pictures of one installed? I've tried to contact the company but they're not answering 🙁

Thanks.

I had a Ford Ka from new (firms car) and when I had a accident with a builders truck the Ka spot welds popped apart like it was stuck together with Blu tac, the metal did not tear it literally popped apart, I would not trust it.

I had a Ford Ka from new (firms car) and when I had a accident with a builders truck the Ka spot welds popped apart like it was stuck together with Blu tac, the metal did not tear it literally popped apart, I would not trust it.
I understand what you're saying, but I worked on a lot of cars over the years, including welding for MOTs and replacing panels, and from my experience the outer panels on most modern cars are not particularly strong. Indeed, there are now quite a few cars with plastic wings which deform very easily.

At the end of the day the other options are walking, cycling and motorcycling, and I'd still rather get in pretty much any car rather than those options if I'm on the road.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Del,

I did look there but they only have user manuals rather than technical info on how to fit.
Ok, managed to get through to them and in a nutshell as I bought it secondhand they're not interested. Also, they don't have fitting instructions even though they advertise DIY kits on their site... go figure!

Make a x frame to bolt onto front x member and fixing points for a frame to clamp onto it,remember there must be a braking sys on the kit by law.

I cannot help with the 1st generation Ka but the 2nd generation is the same as a Fiat 500, you remove the crash protection bar behind the front bumper and the chassis bracket fits in its place with the original bolts, four bolts each side as in this picture of the crash protection bar
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I've done a bit more googling and managed to find some images of previously sold caratow brackets for 1st gen KAs. The one that came with mine is different (without the large vertical plates) and it looks like a previous owner made their own L shaped brackets and fixed it directly to the 'chassis rails' - hence my confusion because it didn't look right. The 'official' bracket fits to the front crossmember through holes the fitter has to drill.

In case anyone is wondering here's the correct part in 'Euro' form...
20200627_101251.jpg

Caratow supplies brackets so you can change cars and keep most of the kit you have, so I'll see if they can supply this as they don't come up secondhand very often..wish me luck!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back