foraging in April

wildman

give the apparent lack of food in the shops more people may be foraging than usual so I'll post my foraging guide for the month ahead, usually found on my FB page.
Wild food in April updated 2020

Medical Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or medical professional. The information given Is from many unverified sources. Please carry out your own checks.

Information given is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any

Disease. Statements do not claim to have been evaluated by any

Medical body anywhere in the world. If you are pregnant, nursing

Taking medication, or have a medical condition please consult a Doctor first

These notes are for foraging in the Northern hemisphere based on plants found in the UK most are common and widespread across Europe and the Americas. The southern Hemisphere has different seasons and different weather so some plants may never be seen. However additions are welcomed if someone has the time to add further notes in the comments, I shall then add them in a section at the end for inclusion next year.

Legal and moral notes. In some countries there are laws that ban foraging, al land is owned by someone remember to get the land owners permission. Do not collect more than you need or strip entire plants, a leaf hear and another there works just as well. Do not pick what you are not 100% sure of. Remember to leave some for the wildlife and also enough to regenerate next year. Enjoy the exercise.

Alexanders

Recipes for Alexanders

Here are just a few ways to prepare this wild food.

Fresh stems, flowers and leaves

To enjoy these as a fresh vegetable – similar to asparagus – try peeling the stems and boiling them for five to ten minutes, or until tender. Do the same with unripe flower heads, or eat them raw.

Larger leaves can be blanched briefly, while younger ones can be eaten raw.

Candied stems

You can also candy stems like angelica, to use for decorating cakes or to eat as a sweet snack. First, boil the peeled stems in a pan of water and sugar (one cup of each) for 10 minutes. Then drain and lay them on a non-stick parchment that has been covered with caster sugar, and sprinkle some more on top. When they’re dry, shake off the excess sugar and store in a sealed, dry container.

Tempura flower heads

Both the ripe and unripe flower heads can be dipped in tempura batter and deep fried until golden, Japanese style.

Spicy seeds

The hard black seeds appear later in the year and can be used as a spice, much like black pepper.

Roasted roots

Scrub, peel and slice the roots – much like you would with parsnips – toss them in sunflower oil, season, then roast at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes or so, until tender.

Ramsons

wild garlic still about and just planted some bulbs I hope they spread. Ramsons (also called wild bear leek) are similar to ramps, but they originate from northern Eurasia. They have been eaten by peoples of the region since Mesolithic times, and they are an important food for wild animals, such as boar and bear.

Unlike ramps, the showy clusters of white flowers bloom when the plants are in full foliage, making ramsons even better candidates for ornamental woodland gardens. The plants are more variable in height, reaching between 4 to 18 inches, and their large clusters of white, starry flowers are very showy. Foliage first appears in early- to mid-spring and flowers reach full bloom by late spring. Fabulous on a cheese sandwich, in a salad, stew, or bread the uses are endless

Three-cornered leek

Dandelion flowers

Dandelion leaves great for salad, flowers for wine and root for erzats coffee.

Stinging Nettle - Great veg in a soup, make excellent wine and beer as well

Bramble Shoots

Beech leaves eaten in a salad, pick young leaves, masts are edible when ripe but don’t eat too many.

Daisy leaf - Expectorant and anti-inflamatory young leaves can be eaten in a salad

Gorse flower

gorse wine 1 gall (4.5Ltr) flowers

3lb (1.5kg) sugar

2 lemons

1 orange

7 pints (4ltr) water

1 Teaspoon of grape tannin

yeast and nutrient

Primrose - Flowers are edible and can be candied but prefer to see them

Bistort - Young leaves used in a salad or cooked like spinach, it also makes an astringent tonic, and anti-inflamatory

Carrageen

Cow Parsley - Also known as hogweed, hyposensitive leaves and rhizomes, in the past used as a sedative and aphrodisiac ale was also made from leaves and stems

Fairy-ring Champignon

Hawthorn leaves - Antidiarrhoeic, flowers are a cardiotonic and sedative

Hop Shoots

Morel - One of the easier to identify mushrooms shown below

Sea Beet

St George's mushroom

Sweet violet

Tansy leaves - For many years, tansy has been used as a medicinal herb despite its toxicity. 19th-century Irish folklore suggests bathing in a solution of tansy and salt as a cure for joint pain.[13] A bitter tea made with tansy flowers has been used for centuries as an anthelmintic to treat parasitic worm infestations, and tansy cakes were traditionally eaten during Lent because it was believed that eating fish during Lent caused intestinal worms.[12] Various Tanacetum species are used ethnomedically to treat migraine, neuralgia and rheumatism and as anthelmintics. Traditionally, tansy was often used for its emmenagogue effects to bring on menstruation or end an unwanted pregnancy, and pregnant women are advised to not use this herb.[31] Research published in 2011 identified 3,5-dicaffeoylquinic acid (3,5-DCQA) and axillarin in tansy as antiviral compounds that are active against herpes simplex virus.

Greater Plantain - Broadleaf plantain is also a highly nutritious wild edible, that is high in calcium and vitamins A, C, and K. The young, tender leaves can be eaten raw, and the older, stringier leaves can be boiled in stews and eaten.

Ribwort Plantain the same as above

Sea Radish

Pennywort

Never eat anything you are unsure of.

We have a lovely supply of ramsons about three miles from here, it is on an old railway line that is now a cycle path, Maggy picks a carrier bag full while I walk the dogs, then she picks the nettle tops from the same area but where the dogs cannot cock their legs on (very important;)) then we make soup, green pesto which freezes lovely and use the ransom leaves and flowers on salad, I have some pictures somewhere of the ransom, it is a large area of it and no evidence that anyone else picks it

We have a lovely supply of ramsons about three miles from here, it is on an old railway line that is now a cycle path, Maggy picks a carrier bag full while I walk the dogs, then she picks the nettle tops from the same area but where the dogs cannot cock their legs on (very important;)) then we make soup, green pesto which freezes lovely and use the ransom leaves and flowers on salad, I have some pictures somewhere of the ransom, it is a large area of it and no evidence that anyone else picks it
I'm after some Ramsons to plant at home Terry, we'll have to do a trade when we're all back on the road.

I've got a good supply of Horseradish growing.

In this day and age foraging will not feed you. I did use to enjoy mushrooming and rabbiting with my dad though, great memories netting Warren's and putting the ferret down...thump..thump..and a rabbit exits at 30 mph straight into the net.

In this day and age foraging will not feed you. I did use to enjoy mushrooming and rabbiting with my dad though, great memories netting Warren's and putting the ferret down...thump..thump..and a rabbit exits at 30 mph straight into the net.
Murder.
bunny.png

On the Algarve, we're currently foraging wild spinach.
In competition with the goats that the goatherd brings our way, weekly
It's cut and come again and has a very strong flavour. Too strong to just wilt in a little butter.
A tree down our lane is loaded with ripening Nesperas.. a kind of Medlar.
Who needs shop bought lettuce. ?
We've got a bed of Nasturtiums. Even the flowers taste, and look good

On the Algarve, we're currently foraging wild spinach.
In competition with the goats that the goatherd brings out way, weekly
It's cut and come again and has a very strong flavour. Too strong to just wilt in a little butter.
A tree down our lane is loaded with ripening Nesperas.. a kind of Medlar.

Beetroot leaves make an excellent substitute for Spinnach Paul. In fact I think they are better and get them whenever I can.

Luckily, my neighbour grows a lot of beetroots.

The Irish use carrageen to make a custard.

Just a quote to draw your attention Trev.
I had an Aunt & Uncle who would sometimes holiday in your part of the world and bring back as a present dried seaweed I think it was called dillusk or something like that, I really liked it. Do you know the stuff I mean, and is it still available?

Just a quote to draw your attention Trev.
I had an Aunt & Uncle who would sometimes holiday in your part of the world and bring back as a present dried seaweed I think it was called dillusk or something like that, I really liked it. Do you know the stuff I mean, and is it still available?
Yes some eat it and some use it for beer making i think, many of the things eaten here are only in mainly small historical places, just for the blow ins.

It's such a shame that we never paid more attention to the stories of our grand parents or great grand parents if we were lucky enough to meet them. The 1929 depression must have driven many families into foraging and poaching. My Grandfather used to say the dog was worth one more shot. It was not allowed to damage what was shot. He taught me how to get fish out of a river by hand, but it was easier to go in after them. Even the best orchards in the area. How lucky we are now not to have lived through such times.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back