First week ever wild camping - where would you go?

Mrscake

Free Member
Hi all,

My husband are are are newbies. Never spent the night in a motorhome before, so we decided to quit our jobs, rent the house out and go full time :D

We pick the van up in early Jan and are planning to head into France/Spain mid-Jan, but we absolutely need to do a UK reccie to settle in. We are in tier 2, close to the New Forest in Hampshire. Don't want to take the mickey and travel too far. Where is good for the first week or so? We were considering the Isle of Wight, or around Milton on Sea?

Thank-you everyone, looking forward to becoming part of the community.

I would avoid the Isle of Wight if the tier system is still in place. I think they are in Tier 1 and I suspect you wont be that welcome and from memory its not great for wild camping spots.

I would avoid the Isle of Wight if the tier system is still in place. I think they are in Tier 1 and I suspect you wont be that welcome and from memory its not great for wild camping spots.

That's helpful thank you. Islands eh... :)

Welcome along, driveway or very close to home, do hope you have solar panels etc for charging battery up, if only one think about adding 1 or 2 more, 200w of solar min on the roof and remember not much power in winter, health to wear the new van.

We have 2x270w. Hoping that's enough for phones/laptops.

Maybe we should look into Dorset coast for a week.

That's helpful thank you. Islands eh... :)

Yes sadly you are starting your wilding lifestyle at an odd time. Its always been a bit iffy in the UK but during the pandemic its been even more controversial. Pick your spots carefully would be my advice and just keep out of peoples way. In rural communities, islands etc they have become a bit fearful and territorial. It might be worth checking out a few CL or CS 5 van sites as back up if you cant find wild spots suitable. These are run by the Caravan and motorhome club and the caravan and camping club. Some have very basic facilities some have EHU and even showers but all only allow up to five vans.

Once you get over to mainland Europe you will find it all much easier. There are literally thousands of Motorhome overnight parking spots and wilding is generally much easier. Well it was before Covid.

Sorry to say I would not come over to Spain yet this vires is getting bad and you wont find it on the news many villages and towns you are not allowed to pass through unless you have a pass :(

Many helpul comments..
i agree with post no 11 in terms of timing...
However you were well aware of that !
Renting the house is great..But make sure you are organised with Doctor DVLA/insurance.
We use boatmail as a mailforwarding agent.. you will need something similar or a friend/family member.
You will come scross other hiccups re address.
Motorhome..
You appear to have Solar and se leccy sorted 1
What about Gas
I wrecommend a re-fillable system.
Others survive quite happliy with a combination of foreign bottles and connections
In winter your gas usage will rise.
Obviously using sites with EHU will help with this..a small 1 kW fan heater will help
Our first "full-timing" trip to france had a few hiccups ( Gas in particular)
For 2020 early on will be tricky in UK not just because of Covid but finding chsep sites which are open
For us it would be too cold and dark for too long..
Going abroad in say Frb will help with this.
BUT what about next winter..In practice 3 months is the limit (unless you go to Morocco !)
I do not(even by implication) criticise your decision but hope I have alerted you to some of the problems.
You also need an accommodation plan if for (whatevere reasn) the vehicle is unusable at any time
A plan to deal with illness/hospitalisatioon as well
Do you both drive ?
We have had 7 great years spending 5 or 6 months "living" in the vehicle
Good luck !

Yes sadly you are starting your wilding lifestyle at an odd time. Its always been a bit iffy in the UK but during the pandemic its been even more controversial. Pick your spots carefully would be my advice and just keep out of peoples way. In rural communities, islands etc they have become a bit fearful and territorial. It might be worth checking out a few CL or CS 5 van sites as back up if you cant find wild spots suitable. These are run by the Caravan and motorhome club and the caravan and camping club. Some have very basic facilities some have EHU and even showers but all only allow up to five vans.

Once you get over to mainland Europe you will find it all much easier. There are literally thousands of Motorhome overnight parking spots and wilding is generally much easier. Well it was before Covid.

Thats really encouraging, thank-you.

Many helpul comments..
i agree with post no 11 in terms of timing...
However you were well aware of that !
Renting the house is great..But make sure you are organised with Doctor DVLA/insurance.
We use boatmail as a mailforwarding agent.. you will need something similar or a friend/family member.
You will come scross other hiccups re address.
Motorhome..
You appear to have Solar and se leccy sorted 1
What about Gas
I wrecommend a re-fillable system.
Others survive quite happliy with a combination of foreign bottles and connections
In winter your gas usage will rise.
Obviously using sites with EHU will help with this..a small 1 kW fan heater will help
Our first "full-timing" trip to france had a few hiccups ( Gas in particular)
For 2020 early on will be tricky in UK not just because of Covid but finding chsep sites which are open
For us it would be too cold and dark for too long..
Going abroad in say Frb will help with this.
BUT what about next winter..In practice 3 months is the limit (unless you go to Morocco !)
I do not(even by implication) criticise your decision but hope I have alerted you to some of the problems.
You also need an accommodation plan if for (whatevere reasn) the vehicle is unusable at any time
A plan to deal with illness/hospitalisatioon as well
Do you both drive ?
We have had 7 great years spending 5 or 6 months "living" in the vehicle
Good luck !

Luckily my inlaws are letting us use their address, so thats helpful for lots of things. Gas wise we have an underslug LPG tank and EU adapters. Diesel heater.
We were thinking Cyprus for next winter, in the EU not in the Schengen.

Safety Wing do decent nomad insurance, so will go with them.
We do both drive yes.

Its an adventure, if we hate it we will just come back and resettle in. But I do think of the families of refugees living in tents with no heaters etc and think this life is luxurious really. We have a fridge :)

Thanks for your post.

Thats really encouraging, thank-you.

Luckily my inlaws are letting us use their address, so thats helpful for lots of things. Gas wise we have an underslug LPG tank and EU adapters. Diesel heater.
We were thinking Cyprus for next winter, in the EU not in the Schengen.

Safety Wing do decent nomad insurance, so will go with them.
We do both drive yes.

Its an adventure, if we hate it we will just come back and resettle in. But I do think of the families of refugees living in tents with no heaters etc and think this life is luxurious really. We have a fridge :)

Thanks for your post.
Great .. It would be the long dark nights BUT..Cyprus ...
You seem to have thought of most things
Yes Diesel heater better than LPG

Out of interest what Van did you go for, is it a Known ‘Marque’ or a bespoke (PVC?) build?
With 540w of solar, underslung lpg tank and a diesel heater I’m assuming the latter.

If the drive at home isn’t convenient then perhaps legal tarmac wilding at either Port Solent or Arundel might be best. I’m assuming you’re SO/PO way though.

Hi all,

My husband are are are newbies. Never spent the night in a motorhome before, so we decided to quit our jobs, rent the house out and go full time :D

We pick the van up in early Jan and are planning to head into France/Spain mid-Jan, but we absolutely need to do a UK reccie to settle in. We are in tier 2, close to the New Forest in Hampshire. Don't want to take the mickey and travel too far. Where is good for the first week or so? We were considering the Isle of Wight, or around Milton on Sea?

Thank-you everyone, looking forward to becoming part of the community.
Can I recommend 2 of our favourite places ,Red wharfe Bay Anglesey, and Semer water Yorkshire..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back