Fire drill

One thing barge/Ian mentions is the drop down bed, we've got one too, so if next doors MH is a Frenchy MH's on fire we will be well and truly fried. Because, by the time we raise the bed spun the seats round, put key in ignition, turned it over and drove away, we'd by a gonna. As for opening doors, they park that flipping close, you'll be lucky to open it enough to let a fly out!
Either way we are doomed, doomed I say.
Might as well just bathe in petrol and light a fag.

I would never park that close to another van that fire would be a problem and if someone parked that close to me the would get told to feckin move. We’re are constantly risk assessing without really thinking obout it in our life’s and I’m happy to leave it at that. Worrying about the day I’ve never seen isn’t my thing.

I had a grab bag to hand at all times and my essentials were food, water and survival stuff. The risk of real trouble was a constant for half of the year and slightly less for the rest. With the motorhome, the layout has meant that useful stuff has been next to the Hab door anyway. As long as me and the Wife and dogs got out, I would not be bothered about the motorhome burning and I have seen videos of how quickly they burn, so would not try to fight the fire.

One thing barge/Ian mentions is the drop down bed, we've got one too, so if next doors MH is a Frenchy MH's on fire we will be well and truly fried. Because, by the time we raise the bed spun the seats round, put key in ignition, turned it over and drove away, we'd by a gonna. As for opening doors, they park that flipping close, you'll be lucky to open it enough to let a fly out!
Either way we are doomed, doomed I say.
Might as well just bathe in petrol and light a fag.
That’s why I tried the drill. Bill raised the question of how long it may take to get out in case of fire in an adjacent van, so for our own info I thought it worth while doing an experiment to find out. In doing so I discovered little things along the way that could make the outcome a lot better if a real emergency came along.

In reality despite my background I am not an obsessive about H&S matters, and find those who are can be a pain in the arse. I would never have done things like rock climbing, climbing ladders, judo and riding motorbikes if I was completely risk-averse. But such experiences in life do impose disciplines that make you risk aware. Now I know how long it takes to get out of danger in the van I can unconsciously make better decisions for me and my family. So the exercise was worth it.

I agree, it never hurts to just think "what if" may never need to, but how much effort does it really take to consider it. I have done quite a few " official" risk assessments in my time and, despite all the poo-pooing, ( a lot of bad publicity from yellow vis and hard hats!) have highlighted issues and mitigated risks which could have had dire consequences for the employee, but for which a simple solution was available with a little thought.

I'm looking not to obstruct my habitation battery master switch, nor gas cylinder cutoff. and extinguisher, state of charge and access. left to our own devices most motor homers do leave a reasonable space from neighbours vans, but a quick getaway is the key to a neighbours conflagration.

I agree, it never hurts to just think "what if" may never need to, but how much effort does it really take to consider it. I have done quite a few " official" risk assessments in my time and, despite all the poo-pooing, ( a lot of bad publicity from yellow vis and hard hats!) have highlighted issues and mitigated risks which could have had dire consequences for the employee, but for which a simple solution was available with a little thought.
It’s really simple things that can save your life. IE when I go to a hotel I make sure I know were the stairs are, it’s that simple. For me it’s just the same when crossing a road, I wouldn’t do it without looking carefully both ways. The chances of anyone being caught in fire situation are slim, but the consequences of not doing simple things beforehand can be your end.
I see a mention or two about fire extinguishers. Always position them at an exit point. Never allow the fire to get between you and an exit. And most importantly they are only there to fight fires in their incipient stage. If in doubt just get out.

Reactions: REC
Seems like none of you will be coming to French aires then…….

0B291356-B4EE-4943-B653-3178EC1FA4D8.jpeg

That’s us, second from the left.
Parking for 6, and there’s 8 vans…..

Free! you'd have to pay me. 😂

Not knocking the facility though, great places for many, not my cup of tea though.

I do use the aire in Metz though, and that gets ridiculously packed, but if there for more than one night I'll use the campsite next door. I like grass under my feet. :)

We really avoid places where there are already vans parked unless REALLY REALLY spread out. So I suppose we risk assess when parking too...potential noise being the main issue. Lots don't worry about being close and I respect that. Just not for us.

Having some idea of what to do in the event of an emergency is a good idea. Personally, I'd just get us out of the van via whatever exit was available. I'd not bother trying to do any firefighting, and it was my job for 32 years.
Just get as far away from the van as possible, as quickly as possible. The timings in the OPs' post I'd take with a pinch of salt. Simply because you were aware of what was going to happen. Doing those things when waking from a sleep state, disoriented by smoke, fright and so on eats well into your reaction time, no matter how much you plan/rehearse. That's in no way a criticism of what he's done, just a fact of life.
The simple advise we used to hand out was "Get out, Stay out and call the fire service out". Any more than that and you are putting your life at risk. Even in the home. A smoke detector will give you in the van, maybe, 30-40 seconds warning before things become fatal. Putting on coats, finding bags, wallets, keys etc wastes time. As does getting the van ready to drive it away from another vehicle or fire. I presume we all insure our vans, so make a claim. Anything else isn't worth it.
Don't have nightmares!

Having some idea of what to do in the event of an emergency is a good idea. Personally, I'd just get us out of the van via whatever exit was available. I'd not bother trying to do any firefighting, and it was my job for 32 years.
Just get as far away from the van as possible, as quickly as possible. The timings in the OPs' post I'd take with a pinch of salt. Simply because you were aware of what was going to happen. Doing those things when waking from a sleep state, disoriented by smoke, fright and so on eats well into your reaction time, no matter how much you plan/rehearse. That's in no way a criticism of what he's done, just a fact of life.
The simple advise we used to hand out was "Get out, Stay out and call the fire service out". Any more than that and you are putting your life at risk. Even in the home. A smoke detector will give you in the van, maybe, 30-40 seconds warning before things become fatal. Putting on coats, finding bags, wallets, keys etc wastes time. As does getting the van ready to drive it away from another vehicle or fire. I presume we all insure our vans, so make a claim. Anything else isn't worth it.
Don't have nightmares!
Calling on your experience and in relation to butane/propane can you comment on the following please;

1. With an open gas canister once the fire has caused a breach in the closed system will the gas in the cyclinder behave in the same way as feeding a hob ie expend gas until empty with no risk of explosion?

2. In motorhome fire (let's presume a full tank of fuel) is a closed unused but full cyclinder likely or unlikely to explode?

3. If a cyclinder does fail due to temperature do cyclinders tear or actually explode with flying shrapnel?

Ty

Calling on your experience and in relation to butane/propane can you comment on the following please;

1. With an open gas canister once the fire has caused a breach in the closed system will the gas in the cyclinder behave in the same way as feeding a hob ie expend gas until empty with no risk of explosion?

2. In motorhome fire (let's presume a full tank of fuel) is a closed unused but full cyclinder likely or unlikely to explode?

3. If a cyclinder does fail due to temperature do cyclinders tear or actually explode with flying shrapnel?

Ty

This might answer your question.

Ty
Annsman posted this elsewhere

To be honest, I wouldn’t like to say for certain how ANY LPG cylinder was going to behave! I’ve seen them do nothing, completely rupture and some just burn off at the connection. It probably depends on the heat generated by the fire.
I’ve seen a film of a LPG powered car go off like a bomb was in it, but one where the tyres bursting was more violent.
Our standard procedure for incidents where larger LPG cylinders was involved was, and this was 15 years ago now, ( which I find hard to believe, because I look sooo young!) was to set up a 200 metre exclusion zone, put fixed branches on it and see what happened. Usually nothing!
To answer point 3, When they are full-ish and do go they rupture along the seam and tend to flatten out. I think that’s designed in. I’ve never seen one, or heard of one becoming shrapnel. But never say never!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back