Finding my own POI

gratefulj

I had to be at a meeting yesterday evening in Hastings and so planned to spend the night. After consulting the POI map provided on here I felt the options were a bit limited and so decided to find my own urban parking. I found a really quiet street running parallel to the seafront that was unrestricted between 6.00pm and 9.00am and full of (what I later found out) were the good hotels. Due to the location, CCTV and 24 hour desks at the hotels I felt very secure and had an uneventful night. I felt a bit like a guest and was tempted to go in and get some breakfast (not sure what the guy on the balcony was thinking though).
I'm going to the local leisure centre this morning to have a swim and use the shower then it's off down the coast.

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 307
We have parked in some really expensive streets. Had a few odd looks but if you don't overstay your welcome and DON'T leave any mess behind no one seems to mind. It's when the few move in and stay for weeks / months on end that upset the locals. No one is going to say anything about an odd night.

We parked here for a night and went and had a meal. 1 hour free parking and free after 6pm - 9am so you can park at 5pm and stay till 10am

Rick Steins.jpg

We were of course in the Motorhome ...

Last edited:
That’s what we do when urban wilding head for the posh bits. The Grange area of Edinburgh has some good quiet streets for overnights with no restrictions.

That's fantastic, was the food good??

Very

They even do morning coffee and dogs are very welcome which is more than can be said for the cafe two doors away. We went in and asked if it was Ok to take our dog in only to be told that the owner did not let dogs in. I then asked why a Labrador was sitting on one of the seats opposite his owner. Reply was that he was a regular. So its alright to have a dog sitting at the table and leaving a mess on the seat someone else is going to sit on but its not Ok to have a dog sitting under the table.

We always try to park in upper class areas, the houses are normally that far back from the road with large gardens that they can’t see me, but even if they could, they’ve got better things to do.

It’s the middle class busybodies that are the pain in the Ar$e.

I had to be at a meeting yesterday evening in Hastings and so planned to spend the night. After consulting the POI map provided on here I felt the options were a bit limited and so decided to find my own urban parking. I found a really quiet street running parallel to the seafront that was unrestricted between 6.00pm and 9.00am and full of (what I later found out) were the good hotels. Due to the location, CCTV and 24 hour desks at the hotels I felt very secure and had an uneventful night. I felt a bit like a guest and was tempted to go in and get some breakfast (not sure what the guy on the balcony was thinking though).
I'm going to the local leisure centre this morning to have a swim and use the shower then it's off down the coast.

Have you considered ‘Logging or Marking’ you’re favourites ?.
I just use google maps & star my favourite overnight stops, but ONLY mark ones that I have stayed TWO or more nights, I don’t bother with the one nighters as it would turn my map into a ‘Blob’.
415A7F1B-5587-4874-A93D-F2827E6DC229.jpg
I took this screen shot when I was in North Cornwall about 8 weeks or so ago as you can see by the Blue Dot.
But a massive bonus by doing this is you can then zoom in on a chosen park up for better details or to send a friend if meeting up !.
For example
0B837B50-5572-4394-9669-AD17938EBEBB.jpg
Here’s 3 that I used jan this year when exploring That part of the uK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Google Earth on my Netbook and use different coloured pushpins for different spots I come across. I have colours for LPG, good daytime parking spots etc. etc.

Have you considered ‘Logging or Marking’ you’re favourites ?.
I just use google maps & star my favourite overnight stops, but ONLY mark ones that I have stayed TWO or more nights, I don’t bother with the one nighters as it would turn my map into a ‘Blob’.
View attachment 68739
I took this screen shot when I was in North Cornwall about 8 weeks or so ago as you can see by the Blue Dot.
But a massive bonus by doing this is you can then zoom in on a chosen park up for better details or to send a friend if meeting up !.
For example
View attachment 68740
Here’s 3 that I used jan this year when exploring That part of the uK.

That's a good shout especially the more than one nighters as I found a few spots (Worthing, Winchester, Sixpenny Handley and Glastonbury) that are goodun's.
You sure have been about as well hey

So it was midnight and we had just unloaded a oversize load at back of Science Museum, I asked the driver where he was off to, and his reply was I'm out of hours so am parking up here till morning, so there was his truck parked up in one of the most exclusive areas of London amongst a assortment of very expensive vehicles, he did retract the lowloader down to 40ft thou.

That's a good shout especially the more than one nighters as I found a few spots (Worthing, Winchester, Sixpenny Handley and Glastonbury) that are goodun's.
You sure have been about as well hey

Ahh I’ve finished with all my abroad stuff now, it really doesn’t interest me at all, you just can’t get decent Bacon!.
There’s folk on here that have been LOADS of places. But to be honest in my mind it’s actually NOT about how many places or even Where you’ve been, it’s the smile on your face & your state of mind while doing it that matters Matey.
& even when I stay at the same park up for a cpl of nights it certainly doesn’t mean that I sit there all day as well !.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back