Fifth Gear Fun!

Big Chief

Free Member
I just thought some people may be interested in what happens when 5th gear gives up on the fiat gearbox and it's derivatives, Note how all the teeth are missing from the large gear and a chunk out of the brass synchro hub, the connecting gear has it's teeth worn down too. I found 30 of the missing teeth when I drained the oil. £400 of parts and a couple of hours work sorted it out though.
IMG_20211201_113916740.jpg
IMG_20211201_113926551.jpg
IMG_20211201_114124885.jpg
IMG_20211201_113916740.jpg
IMG_20211201_113926551.jpg
IMG_20211201_114124885.jpg

Looks like some has been beating the synchro, be gentle with the poor thing.

If your that quick I bet there will be a few on here you could help out.

We lost 5th a couple of years ago and it cost just over £400 for a recon unit fitted. What us owners of geriatric Ducato engined variants realise (eventually !!) is that they have very lazy synchro's, try to beat it and it'll cost you money as sure as eggs is eggs before too long

are different models of gearbox prone to different things? I haven't noticed any issues with 5th (or 6th) but I do get a crunch when selecting 2nd until fully warmed up (and even then sometimes).

There is a oil hight upgrade for those boxes, a little elbow fil which raises the level by about half a ltr.

are different models of gearbox prone to different things? I haven't noticed any issues with 5th (or 6th) but I do get a crunch when selecting 2nd until fully warmed up (and even then sometimes).
I'm guessing the OP will have been from a x244, x250 had the reverse judder.

Hi Everyone.
can I just ask how difficult is it to source these replacement gears, The reason I ask is I know of several people that have had vans off the road for months waiting for fifth gear parts.One local garage has had a Hymer sitting on their forecourt for the last twelve weeks.Thanks for any reply’s.

Can you give a link please young Trevor, ta
No sorry, just know from the lads here in the trade, its just a little u bend fitted to gearbox fill point which is turned up thus raising the fill level.

Hi Everyone.
can I just ask how difficult is it to source these replacement gears, The reason I ask is I know of several people that have had vans off the road for months waiting for fifth gear parts.One local garage has had a Hymer sitting on their forecourt for the last twelve weeks.Thanks for any reply’s.
I ordered the parts on ebay and they came the next day

In addition to increasing the oil quantity to 2.7 litres, Fiat also changed the spec of the oil, sorry I don’t recall which exactly (75/80 FULLY SYNTHETIC?)

One of the tips that used to be given on motorhome forums was to stick large magnets to the gearbox casing.

That way the bits did not drop down and chew up the gears etc. :)

And yet all these top makers laugh at skoda, only one g box let me down and that was due to someone changing d shafts before me and not knowing where or how to fill the box with oil.

The biggest problem Skoda has ever had is the owners of the cars ;)
100% true, but there were some mods good dealers sorted before they sold them, I also did these on every car, engine vac hose changed along with fuel lines and rad bleed hose along with the one at heater in the footwell, then fitted a 88c weller thermostat and one jet size up in carb first chock.
Always filled them with 50/50 antifreeze which stopped the alloy head from being eaten.

100% true, but there were some mods good dealers sorted before they sold them, I also did these on every car, engine vac hose changed along with fuel lines and rad bleed hose along with the one at heater in the footwell, then fitted a 88c weller thermostat and one jet size up in carb first chock.
Always filled them with 50/50 antifreeze which stopped the alloy head from being eaten.
I've always used 50/50 antifreeze in all my vehicles and on the Citroen CXs used distilled water/antifreeze mix.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back