Fiat Van MOT Failure mainly due to ECU Fault Code B100 / B1000 Air Bag. Help.

How do you turn on the ignition & headlights on (stage 2) when the batteries have been disconnected (stage 1) and not reconnected (stage 3)?
What system are you discharging?

Still think a phone call to Crash data is the best bet.
Costs nothing and you get advice from someone ho knows what they are talking about.

Capacitor s so no voltage in system.

Sorry for not replying to all your messages, I couldn't post.
I was a noob and didn't realise I had to upgrade to enable posting.
So, I did.

Thankyou all so much for your comments and help.

The local Fiat garages are CLOSED !! YES really!
Glynn Hopkins told me that the length of our van was too long for them. 6.99M

D Salmon are closed and no idea when they reopen.

I looked into the Crash Data place and have managed to locate the module, now there was a task!!
Some of your suggestions about disconnecting and leaving for several hours, I will give a try first. Nothing Ventured and all that.

RE the headlight.
I have now re read the entire report, rather than the notes.
The light, they say, "Will not adjust Requires new headlamp". I do trust the garage as we have been with them for years.

Anyway, thank you all again and hopefully, I will let you know, how I get on.

How do you turn on the ignition & headlights on (stage 2) when the batteries have been disconnected (stage 1) and not reconnected (stage 3)?

Costs nothing and you get advice from someone ho knows what they are talking about.
Just to mention my call to Crash Data.
Seemed like I got a new member of staff.

I saw on their website that it mentions, "
Airbag Warning Light Reset
If you have an airbag warning light displayed on your dashboard, but you havenʼt been in a crash, we can still help. Whatever your airbag module problem, give us a call, weʼre always happy to help you find a resolution.
When I said this to the person on the phone, they just said send it in.
She was asking someone around her questions.

Thanks for the comments. It's certainly another lesson learned !!

You turn on the ignition by inserting the key and turning it to the "on" position. At least, that's how it's done on the Pajero I was describing. You turn on the headlights by turning the switch to the appropriate position, with a similar caveat re. Pajeros.

On many vehicles, the ECUs are effectively computers in hibernation if the 12v system remains energised when the ignition is 'off'. De-energising the 12v system effectively turns the ECUs off fully, forcing a 'reboot' when the system is re-energised. It doesn't matter how you do it, the important thing is to de-energise the entire electrical system, including discharging all capacitors, and on many vehicles this is most easily achieved via the headlights and brake lights. That said, this technique will only work if the error code is stored in volatile memory, which allegedly is the case with my old Pajero but (as I previously wrote) which I can't guarantee for the OP's Fiat.

Just another update to bore you all.
My socket set was just too big and I got one nut off with a spanner, but the others were impossible with my equipment (too big as I said)

So I ordered a smaller socket set https://amzn.to/3t2I5LL (it is an affiliate link and I may get money for free) If that's against forum rules then please let me know and I will remove.

It worked like a charm and I was easily able to remove the last two nuts.
I did try draining as much power as I could and then reconnected but the bag light still showed.
So, now it's in the post to crash data.

One thing that I hadn't realised was that our van now appears to have 3 batteries. This was never said to us at Marquis where we got the van from.
We knew there was one under the bonnet and one under the rear passenger seat which I have assumed was the leisure battery as connected to the solar panel thingy. But this one near the airbag module was a new one to me.

This then might tie in to what some have responded re low battery and the air bag reset issue. I was under the impression from someone, not sure if it was marquis, that when we plugged in the van, it charged the under bonnet battery and the leisure battery. I have no idea if that is true and whether this third battery is charged at all.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's help and I am learning a lot!!

RE the headlight.
I have now re read the entire report, rather than the notes.
The light, they say, "Will not adjust Requires new headlamp". I do trust the garage as we have been with them for years.

[/QUOTE]This happened to me with a car that the adjuster snapped due to rust, sorted by fitting a few washers under one corner of the h/lamp mounting bolts to get the dip beam and main down to correct level and left a we bit. ;)

Last edited:
Just another update to bore you all.
My socket set was just too big and I got one nut off with a spanner, but the others were impossible with my equipment (too big as I said)

So I ordered a smaller socket set https://amzn.to/3t2I5LL (it is an affiliate link and I may get money for free) If that's against forum rules then please let me know and I will remove.

It worked like a charm and I was easily able to remove the last two nuts.
I did try draining as much power as I could and then reconnected but the bag light still showed.
So, now it's in the post to crash data.

One thing that I hadn't realised was that our van now appears to have 3 batteries. This was never said to us at Marquis where we got the van from.
We knew there was one under the bonnet and one under the rear passenger seat which I have assumed was the leisure battery as connected to the solar panel thingy. But this one near the airbag module was a new one to me.

This then might tie in to what some have responded re low battery and the air bag reset issue. I was under the impression from someone, not sure if it was marquis, that when we plugged in the van, it charged the under bonnet battery and the leisure battery. I have no idea if that is true and whether this third battery is charged at all.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's help and I am learning a lot!!
Are you sure you have a Battery under the bonnet, mine doesn't.

what model /years your van

Are you sure you have a Battery under the bonnet, mine doesn't.

what model /years your van
I'm 95% sure. There was a lifty catch to expose the terminal, so unless I lost my marbles, it is a battery, but you never can tell.

We have a Fiat Tribute 669 Auto (semi) It says reg date 2016.
2 double beds in the rear. Upper bunks for people that are very thin or kids ! + a front single bed that is made from the table and the front chair. Put it together once and looked most uncomfortable.

Two full size proper beds for us in our self build.
van to back.jpg

I'm 95% sure. There was a lifty catch to expose the terminal, so unless I lost my marbles, it is a battery, but you never can tell.

2 double beds in the rear. Upper bunks for people that are very thin or kids ! + a front single bed that is made from the table and the front chair. Put it together once and looked most uncomfortable.
Maybe under that lifty catch are your lost marbles are 🤷‍♂️.
I have an X250 model where as your model is the slightly later X290 I think, the starter battery is the one you found under the passenger floor. Under flap is only an attachment point to jump start it, + terminal. Unless I'm wrong, then it will be me on the marble hunt (not the first time!)

We had the same airbag dash light on our fiat last year. Sometimes it can be a loose wire causing this under the seat. Ron looked and wriggled wires no joy, so did the mechanic.
So our local garage not a fiat dealer took the ECU out put a new one back in and reprogrammed it.
We are in Shropshire so not local for you but I watched him do it whilst sat in the passenger seat.
He came to us to test it on his diagnostic machine but we went to him for the repair.
I think right mechanic will sort you out good

Maybe under that lifty catch are your lost marbles are 🤷‍♂️.
I have an X250 model where as your model is the slightly later X290 I think, the starter battery is the one you found under the passenger floor. Under flap is only an attachment point to jump start it, + terminal. Unless I'm wrong, then it will be me on the marble hunt (not the first time!)
Yes you are correct , the contact under the flap is a jump start point for the +ive supply and NOT a battery (y)

Mine did the same I had a leaking windscreen I put the laptop on and reset the fault new windscreen moved the wires under the seat not been a problem since at least the screen was under warranty it was fitted incorrectly 2 years ago and leaked down the drivers side A post and was filling the drivers footwell with water under the plastic

Interesting to hear your experiences in Shropshire mariesnowgoose. I am new to the area, and am not mechanically minded at all Is there a garage you could recommend for a Swift man?
Thanks Al

Only just seen this. B0100 is an internal error in the airbag ECU (the unit below the glovebox in the photos in above posts).

No checking of cables, unplugging and reconnecting or resetting fault codes will fix it.

If you go to a Fiat dealer, all they will do is fit a new airbag (SRS) ECU, minimum £450 bill.

If you send yours the Crash data or similar companies (there are a few) they may be able to repair your unit for about £90. If not, as sometimes happens depending on the cause of the corruption or failure, they can often supply a repaired unit for less than £200.

Turning the headlights on before reconnecting the battery doesn't of course switch the headlights on when the battery is disconnected - how can it? It does however ensure that there is a load on the battery at the point you reconnect the terminals, suppressing any possibility of voltage spikes that could damage your newlyu repaired or replaces airbag ECU, or any other components in the electrical system. It's recommended procedure for bare vans, but with motorhomes often having interconnected electrical connections due to pathways between vehicle and leisure batteries and shared earths etc, not always installed in full compliance with the base vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, it's even more important to do it properly.

You are quite right !!!
I am still learning B-)

Further update......
I sent the module off to Crashdata and it came back the next day.
Managed to fit it back in and .... and..... and...... IT WORKED!!!!
Yeah!!!!!

Thankyou everyone. You saved me huge amounts of money and time.

In my original panic, I had contacted our motorhome God, Tom from Apex Motorhome Services (Kent)
I was introduced to him by Gaslo after my experience of the fragility of the AWS scheme where the previous badged individual had condemned my gas due to it not having a metal locker lining!! I now know better!

Tom had us booked in to sort some other gas issues but I had asked him to sort the module. He also suggested me removing and sending to Crashdata for speed.
When he arrived, he congratulated me on not butchering too much of the rest of the van in trying to get to the module, and explained that he used crash data quite often and it's a well known "Issue" with our make of van.
I had misread the printout, thinking it was due to low battery. He pointed out that the comments were actually that the voltage was too HIGH.
His thought process was that if the van had been sitting around for several months, then someone gets in and drives, turning on the heaters etc, then this might be the issue. I know nothing about cars and their electrics etc, but anything is possible it seems.

Tom did some other bits and pieces for us and found the battery was knocking on 5 years, since new, so possibly change it as again that could have contributed to the issue.
I won't go on much longer but just wanted to praise Tom. Wher the previous "AWS" guy had condemned my gas for not having the metal locker, he had not spotted a "Serious" problem, to do with the gas inlet and where the gas goes if there's a leak. Tom spotted this, adapted so that the dropouts would be utilised and we wouldn't die. That's why Gaslo recommend Tom. So, cheers to Tom.

Thank you all again.
Take care

Further update......
I sent the module off to Crashdata and it came back the next day.
Managed to fit it back in and .... and..... and...... IT WORKED!!!!
Yeah!!!!!

Thankyou everyone. You saved me huge amounts of money and time.

In my original panic, I had contacted our motorhome God, Tom from Apex Motorhome Services (Kent)
I was introduced to him by Gaslo after my experience of the fragility of the AWS scheme where the previous badged individual had condemned my gas due to it not having a metal locker lining!! I now know better!

Tom had us booked in to sort some other gas issues but I had asked him to sort the module. He also suggested me removing and sending to Crashdata for speed.
When he arrived, he congratulated me on not butchering too much of the rest of the van in trying to get to the module, and explained that he used crash data quite often and it's a well known "Issue" with our make of van.
I had misread the printout, thinking it was due to low battery. He pointed out that the comments were actually that the voltage was too HIGH.
His thought process was that if the van had been sitting around for several months, then someone gets in and drives, turning on the heaters etc, then this might be the issue. I know nothing about cars and their electrics etc, but anything is possible it seems.

Tom did some other bits and pieces for us and found the battery was knocking on 5 years, since new, so possibly change it as again that could have contributed to the issue.
I won't go on much longer but just wanted to praise Tom. Wher the previous "AWS" guy had condemned my gas for not having the metal locker, he had not spotted a "Serious" problem, to do with the gas inlet and where the gas goes if there's a leak. Tom spotted this, adapted so that the dropouts would be utilised and we wouldn't die. That's why Gaslo recommend Tom. So, cheers to Tom.

Thank you all again.
Take care
Great you're fixed, and thanks for putting up the repair actions taken, some less generous people pop up ask for help and then disappear making us all none the wiser 👍

Hello,
Just wondered if anyone can help with recommending a possible mobile site that can help.

Our motorhome Van failed it's MOT due to headlight too high nearside and also air bag light on dash.

The notes on the MOT show Fault Code B100 possibly B1000 from what I have read on forums.
The notes also show ECU internal fault, suspect new control module needed and reprogramming. Advise customer to go to Fiat as unable to reprogramme.

I have tried one local Fiat dealer that has failed to get back to me despite emails and voicemail left.
Another local Fiat dealer has such appalling reviews on trustpilot, that I would prefer to leave them alone.

I saw click mechanic and they said no, so I am getting worried as to how we can get it sorted.
Just wondered if anyone could recommend anyone whether a garage or preferably someone that can come out to us.

We are in the Essex area, CO5 postcode.
H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back