Fiat Ducato Engine Management Light

terry111

I've a 2019 Ducato 2.3L _ 150 BHP and the engine management light is solid orange. I had topped up with fuel from Tesco about 10 miles previously (coincidence maybe). I stopped for 10 minutes, restarted and light was out but came on again after a few miles.
Any ideas? I want to continue my trip and am looking to do about 400 miles before I am home and near a convenient garage in about 7 days time.
Some have suggested revving it high for a while to try to clear the dpf or whatever. Does that sound like a possibility? Any other ideas?
Thanks

Could well be the DPF, EGR or .... anything. If it is running OK then I'd continue just on my trip. Sometimes high revs for a while will clear these type of errors for a while. You of course really need to plug into the OBD and check what fault cosed are present, If your passing through Yeovil pop in I'll check it for you.

Could well be the DPF, EGR or .... anything. If it is running OK then I'd continue just on my trip. Sometimes high revs for a while will clear these type of errors for a while. You of course really need to plug into the OBD and check what fault cosed are present, If your passing through Yeovil pop in I'll check it for you.
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I was near Yeovil earlier this year but I'm presently in South West Scotland. I'll continue on my way and perhaps it will mend itself!

If this is non add blue and euro 6 I believe you have two EGR valves. One is very difficult (hours=expensive) to replace. Hopefully it’s not an issue with these. I would get the codes read and if it is to do with these do some research on the internet and find a garage that has good experience on working on these engines.

Do you have AA or RAC breakdown cover, call them and ask for the code to be read as you’re not broken down as such (yet)

Drive it like you have stolen it for a while,
Modern diesels don’t like to be driven like driving miss daisy,
Too many people try to save 20p by driving slowly to get more mpg then end up
Spending £100s sometimes £1,000s getting the blocked ever valves changed or worse the dpf,
It is much cheaper and less hassle to just drive them properly and forget trying to get another 1 or 2 mpg out of them

Were you nearly on empty when you filled up?
I had a problem shortly after filling up from empty and I had dragged dirt from the bottom of the tank, (still had 50 miles to go to empty:cool:) it was my car, a Volvo V70 which the AA couldn't diagnose a problem with it, when I arrived home I plugged my laptop in and found it was a fuel shortage

Were you nearly on empty when you filled up?
I had a problem shortly after filling up from empty and I had dragged dirt from the bottom of the tank, (still had 50 miles to go to empty:cool:) it was my car, a Volvo V70 which the AA couldn't diagnose a problem with it, when I arrived home I plugged my laptop in and found it was a fuel shortage
No, not at all.Topped up to full from 3/4

Tried that but AA just said take it to a garage, or drive it until it breaks down. No use,at all!
Bugger that! Call them again and get them out to you ‘broken down’ and if it miraculously starts when the engineer arrives just shrug and say you don’t know anything about engines.

Without the cap in place, and sealing properly, funny things can happen including your CEL (Check Engine Light) coming on, or sputtering/missing on the engine, or even outright stalling. If you have any doubts about your gas cap sealing properly, or if it is missing… buy a new one.

This happened to me with car a few years ago after re fuelling.
I simply tightened the fuel cap and it sorted itself out,

We had it twice on the previous van, a 20 plate and 3000 miles apart . Confirmed by my brother a mechanic , and a DAF mechanic plus my knowledge of previously partly managing a fleet of DAF trucks , drive at 50 mph in 4 th gear ( high revs ) for 30 mins on a motorway , don’t interrupt the drive , this should clear the DPF . You will probably find the cruise control won’t work either until it’s cleared . As already mentioned i try and drive economically as it was drilled into me at my Company but this doesn’t help. Mine was ok until it reach 22k . Good luck.

Back