Fiat Ducato 160 multi jet

Scotia

Fired up the m/h this .morning and let tick over for a wee while then noticed what i thought at first was water dripping, turned out to be diesel coming from the filter housing. Not had a chance to remove or to be honest its too freekin cold. Anyone else had this happen before ?
20210123_130302.jpg

Might just be a bit of shrink and expansion on one of the seals o rings due to the extreme temperature variations.
I've sourced a complete nee unit and filter for £50 will wait untill it warms up before exploring what the problem may be.

I think there is a common problem with these plastic filter housings leaking. It’s either that the top hasn’t been torqued down properly, or over tightened that causes them to leak. ( either the sealing gasket distorts or the casing cracks)
If your replacement is the same type, ensure the top is torqued down properly using the right tools.

Sister's neighbour had a problem with his car last week.
When he took it to his normal garage for servicing they weren't able fix it as impossible to get hold of the spare part needed.
Was nothing special either, as far as I know!!! o_O:(

She lent him her car as hardly using it just now.
Can quite happily leave it for several days before she has to touch it.
She hadn't been in it for a whole week before she lent it to him, and she's OCD with hygiene and covid anyways.

I think this problem with getting hold of vehicle parts could be something we hear a lot more about in the coming weeks.

It’s a known problem with the plastic type fuel filter. When I was working I got the official importer to bring in a load of the filter assemblies and then used to sell quite a lot of them. I always carry a spare complete unit in the MH as that can fracture whilst in use.

There is a special tool to remove and replace the filter element, it must be done off the MH, in a vice with the tool and a torque wrench.

This filter was discontinued and replaced with a solid filter for later ducato models.

Been a common fault with those type filters can start leaking for no reason whether new or after a service regardless of who done it. When you reassemble it I'd suggest plenty of lubrication on threads and seal there is a tool to hold casing and screw top back on
https://tinyurl.com/y46bgaf6
Heres a link to the tool https://tinyurl.com/y6ymgqfe just watched the video and one thing I've found having done several is that the filter doesn't a[ways lift off the bracket easily and if not just undo the 2 bolts r/h side and lift it off with the bracket attached

Last edited:
It’s a known problem with the plastic type fuel filter. When I was working I got the official importer to bring in a load of the filter assemblies and then used to sell quite a lot of them. I always carry a spare complete unit in the MH as that can fracture whilst in use.

There is a special tool to remove and replace the filter element, it must be done off the MH, in a vice with the tool and a torque wrench.

This filter was discontinued and replaced with a solid filter for later ducato models.
Do you have a link for the later housing also is that a direct replacement or easy modification.

The tool works perfectly, just make sure you only tighten to 30NM which you`ll find is moulded into the top of the filter housing.

A few years back there was a bad batch of O-Ring seals that leaked no matter who fitted them either dealer or DIY.

Lots of people then over-tightened them causing the large ring to crack which then meant a whole replacement was needed

I bought a brand new filter housing with fitted filter as a spare just in case we had a problem whilst on a trip.

Quite a simple job to just swap a complete housing road side rather than fannying around trying to torque / tighten up one that had started leaking.

Yes, they are terrible things and a spare housing sounds like a very sensible plan. I did mine a few years back without the tool but I took the housing off and did it on the bench. Its never leaked but really needs a new filter so lockdown is the perfect time to attack it again. Any doubts and I'll put a new housing on.

Keith

Yes, they are terrible things and a spare housing sounds like a very sensible plan. I did mine a few years back without the tool but I took the housing off and did it on the bench. Its never leaked but really needs a new filter so lockdown is the perfect time to attack it again. Any doubts and I'll put a new housing on.

Keith

The tool clamped into the vice make it a very easy task.

Who on earth came up with the idea of using a plastic fuel filter housing seriously needs a check up from the neck up :mad:

The earlier metal screw on cannister fuel filters with water drainage tap at the bottom were much better and never leaked.

The one on my VW car is great being all metal, it`s very very easy to get to being right at the top of the front left corner.

The only thing that does not feel right is only tightening the bolts to 5NM but it`s fine and never leaks (y)

Parts ordered, I was going to leave until the warmer weather but remembered I shall be needing it in a couple of weeks when I go to do an install at a brewery. ( essential work )

Had the same problem on a 2009 model. Removed the plastic noseal-o matic and replaced with an aluminum unit used for various microlight and motor sport applications fitted with a water drain tap at the bottom. Just manually drain a couple of times a year, poke the existing water sensor up out of the way and everyone is happy. A lot cheaper and a far better build quality.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back