Engine loosing power

UFO

Over the last week the engine looses power around 2000 rpm. I can power through but clearly something is not right. Some times it is OK, sometimes it is not. It can happen at the start of a day but after stopping it is OK.

It is a 2009 Fiat Ducato 100 MultiJet (it has a Ford engine, Kuga I think, the one with a timing chain not belt).

We are currently in Croatia with around 6 weeks before we get home.

Aby ideas?

Over the last week the engine looses power around 2000 rpm. I can power through but clearly something is not right. Some times it is OK, sometimes it is not. It can happen at the start of a day but after stopping it is OK.

It is a 2009 Fiat Ducato 100 MultiJet (it has a Ford engine, Kuga I think, the one with a timing chain not belt).

We are currently in Croatia with around 6 weeks before we get home.

Aby ideas?
Any warning lights? I had issues with a 2009 motorhome on a 2008 Transit chassis, engine warning light coming on, serious loss of power. Turning off and restarting cured it for varying periods of time (minutes or hours). It turned out to be a turbo issue and a French dealership told me that I could probably continue like that for the rest of the trip and get it fixed in the UK (they would have needed the moho for a few days), but a couple of days later it cured itself and never recurred.

Any warning lights? I had issues with a 2009 motorhome on a 2008 Transit chassis, engine warning light coming on, serious loss of power. Turning off and restarting cured it for varying periods of time (minutes or hours). It turned out to be a turbo issue and a French dealership told me that I could probably continue like that for the rest of the trip and get it fixed in the UK (they would have needed the moho for a few days), but a couple of days later it cured itself and never recurred.
No warning lights. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will cure itself.

Might be as simple as some bad fuel especially in that part of the world next time you fuel up brim it with premium fuel then give it a hard run to clear the filter. Worth a try.

Had a similar problem recently with my Ford. Apparently they’re renowned for EGR valve problems. The garage said it was the same with…. Listed a few other brands which I forget. I decided to have the ECU recoded. The guy was great. Gave me two options:- sport mode or economy mode. Sport mode would send stuff flying everywhere as I went around bends on two wheels, economy mode would give me better pick up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and 10% better fuel economy. Cost £250. Compared to a replacement EGR valve at the garage for £700 ish it seemed a bargain. Basically (I’m not very technically minded) the guy plugs in his laptop runs a program and can just turn the EGR valve off. I checked with my MOT garage if it would affect the emissions test and the said no. So, I had it done. Best £250 I’ve spent! Zips away at junctions and the economy has gone from around 29mph to just over 32mpg. Doesn’t seem a lot, but in 25 or so full fill ups I’ll have paid for it.

Had a similar problem recently with my Ford. Apparently they’re renowned for EGR valve problems. The garage said it was the same with…. Listed a few other brands which I forget. I decided to have the ECU recoded. The guy was great. Gave me two options:- sport mode or economy mode. Sport mode would send stuff flying everywhere as I went around bends on two wheels, economy mode would give me better pick up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and 10% better fuel economy. Cost £250. Compared to a replacement EGR valve at the garage for £700 ish it seemed a bargain. Basically (I’m not very technically minded) the guy plugs in his laptop runs a program and can just turn the EGR valve off. I checked with my MOT garage if it would affect the emissions test and the said no. So, I had it done. Best £250 I’ve spent! Zips away at junctions and the economy has gone from around 29mph to just over 32mpg. Doesn’t seem a lot, but in 25 or so full fill ups I’ll have paid for it.
The EGR value was replaced in the last couple of years. When it was playing up the engine management light came on so I don't think it's the EGR valve this time. Also with the engine management light on there was no difference in the performance.

Last serviced beginning of April. Not sure what was changed, filters, then as I don't have the paperwork with me.

I would have said one of the turbo hoses was leaking but if it is powering through it I don’t think it will be that

The EGR value was replaced in the last couple of years. When it was playing up the engine management light came on so I don't think it's the EGR valve this time. Also with the engine management light on there was no difference in the performance.
On my 160 Iveco engine there is a solenoid that controls the EGR and that can be problematic. It's very easily accessible, from memory at the rear of the engine bay in a central position below the scuttle.

If you have similar it would do no harm to disconnect it and use some contact cleaner spray on the connections.

Mine does not have the outside temperature function. It appears that this is only on the multifunction display, mine is the simple display.
I asked because the outside temp reading is part of the dpf function ,a blocked dpf could explain your problem , ithe sender is mounted under the drivers door mirror it may have had a new pattern mirror fitted that's not got a sender fitted . Usually when the sender fails you loose the temp display in the dashcluster without the temp reading the dpf cleaning dose not operate probably

I asked because the outside temp reading is part of the dpf function ,a blocked dpf could explain your problem , ithe sender is mounted under the drivers door mirror it may have had a new pattern mirror fitted that's not got a sender fitted . Usually when the sender fails you loose the temp display in the dashcluster without the temp reading the dpf cleaning dose not operate probably
I suspect there is no DPF given the age of the vehicle, just an EGR.

I would go with Canalsman suggestion ... a semi blocked fuel filter (or some issue with fuel lines, like leaky joint).
May also be worth putting some diesel cleaner through the system as a simple option.

Back