Engine battery

Very descriptive Annie, that’s the sort of language I understand, and what a good bloke Phil is to get you sorted.
Yes 12v and van electrics still baffle me on most of my past vans firstly were a car battery that you charged at home and you were lucky if it lasted 4 days but campsites would recharge them for you for a small fee, then the suffisticated system where you plugged into the EHU and it gave you lights and run a fat little Thompson tv and it charged your leisure battery all very straight forward now on this van I have 350w of solar panels charging 3x marine gel batteries and a blue Victron magic box in the garage that runs it all I have to flick a switch to plug things in and to flick switch when on ehu I have buttons to press to read the how much power I have then I have a switch to charge my scooter from solar or Engine but until lockdown never realised that none of it charged my van battery but it didn’t matter as my van was never stood long enough until Boris grounded me and my van. But all is well now checked 10 mins and my van battery is now showing 13.4. 👏👏👏👏👍👍👍

8421ECBC-30FD-4F09-9124-537BB6A0FBAE.jpeg

For those who are interested in the solution...

I sent Annie a 4A smart battery charger/maintainer and a dedicated OBD power plug that is made to keep power to the vehicle whilst you change the starter battery. The plug can handle 30A as it uses multiple pins, so the 4A from the charger is fine. With them connected together, it charges the starter battery.

Last edited:
For those who are interested in the solution...

I sent Annie a 4A smart battery charger/maintainer and a dedicated ODB power plug that is made to keep power to the vehicle whilst you change the starter battery. The plug can handle 30A as it uses multiple pins, so the 4A from the charger is fine. With them connected together, it charges the starter battery.

Phil, i`m not wanting to appear pedantic but i think you meant to say .................................................................. OBD power plug

Anyone who does not know what one is will get a bit of a shock when they search for ............................................. ODB o_O

I don’t care how you spell it, it works. 😂😂

Annie, i never implied that it did not work and i use a similar device for when i change batteries on vehicles to save all the codings etc. etc. however .............

I knew instantly what Phil meant and quite clearly is a simple typo but there will be a lot of people on here that will not know what it is and will probably want to search for it.

I never meant any harm and if anyone is offended by my post then will the moderator please remove it.

Thank you.

Annie, i never implied that it did not work and i use a similar device for when i change batteries on vehicles to save all the codings etc. etc. however .............

I knew instantly what Phil meant and quite clearly is a simple typo but there will be a lot of people on here that will not know what it is and will probably want to search for it.

I never meant any harm and if anyone is offended by my post then will the moderator please remove it.

Thank you.
I’m sending you a hug 🤗 because I was only joking about the spelling. 💋

As both ends of the link are live there should be a fuse near to each battery to match the capacity of the wire/cable connecting the two together. Should the cable be accidently damaged one side or other of a single fuse then there could be a risk of fire.
I have solar charging to my leisure batteries and a standby charger to the starter battery, 10amp fused at each end of the connecting link.
standby charger.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back