Emergency jump starter

campervanannie

i was looking at getting one of these to use as a back up one that will be ideal for a 2.8 Diesel engine and 1.4 car petrol engine looking for recommendations and are they any good.

I tried the little ones but found them useless, better with s full size job to be honest, cost now about 40/60 bucks, they were 15 when i bought mine.
starter pack.png

I'm fortunate insofar as the leisure battery sits at the other side of the engine to the ignition battery so in an emergency (when I've left the lights on) I can just jump one from the other.

Same here, I have a switch on the dash which runs a 200ah relay connecting all my batts together. ;)

Yes my batteries are all fine and fully charged thanks to Phil, I was just thinking of buying one of those compact ones to carry in the van/car.

I've got one of the small ones that I got off Amazon a couple of years ago, had no problem starting my 3 litre diesel Merc engine when the battery went dead.

I carry one of the little ones and in my opinion, it is excellent and has started my car with a completely flat battery lots of times, I bought it for the car because I had a parasitic leak, well worth the £66 that it cost

YABER Car Jump Starter, 1500A Peak 20000 mAh Car Battery Booster (All Gas or 7.0L Diesel) Portable Battery Jump Starter with Dual QC3.0 USB Ports and 2

I haven't needed to try it on the van but it is rated for large diesel engines, this one is no longer on Amazon but if I had needed one for the van I would have bought a bigger one like this

having just fitted a new Engine battery to my Fiat Van , what a pig of a job that was , I wonder how I could ever fit jump cables to my battery positive terminal as the positive terminal is hidden under the top scuttle ?? of my van and has a cover over it too ? I understand that jumping an Engine is not a good idea these days either as it can cause a lot of electrical problems if you do this ??

having just fitted a new Engine battery to my Fiat Van , what a pig of a job that was , I wonder how I could ever fit jump cables to my battery positive terminal as the positive terminal is hidden under the top scuttle ?? of my van and has a cover over it too ? I understand that jumping an Engine is not a good idea these days either as it can cause a lot of electrical problems if you do this ??
I was led to believe that jump starting is ok it’s if you jump start another vehicle from your vehicle it can damage the doner vehicle and why would the RAC, AA and green flag offer homestart if it damaged vehicles.

i have one of the small power packs someone advocated on here about 5 years ago , it claims that it will start a 2.0 deisel but the only time i had to use it i started my 2.3 easily, the main use i have for it is as a power pack recharging phones & cameras

I went round to my sons school where a lady with a big jeep had left the lights on, a chap tried to start it with one of those silly we starter things, no mission, so i jump started her from my van after letting it run for 5/10 mins to bring her battery up, if they were that good the aa and rac would carry them, they dont.
And never mind that, if so good why dont cars/vans come with them instead of big proper batteries.

Last edited:
Im makeing one. that I will use.as power supply
Started with a lipo 100 ah battery plus drill box .
Put pics up weekend when finished.

The portable jobbies , will work in some cases , ie when the veh battery is marginally low . You have to remember to keep them charged . as @trevskoda posts says most of it . If you have a leisure battery you already have a bigger reservoir of electrical energy . A suitable contactor and its just a matter of a switch in the cab . Its common practice to have such a set up in the big US Rvs as standard OE fitment .

Important to use the jump starting points, if fitted.

Don't know if this vid is relevant to your van, but it will be similar.

I have an AntiGravity Micro Start XP10 which I bought about 6 years back. It is brilliant for starting my 4WD diesel tractor and a 2 wheel tractor. I have also used it to start a diesel Skoda Octavia. I also bought a small compressor for it and this not only pumps up the van tyres when necessary but it also works on the large tractor tyres provided you let it cool down every 10 minutes or so. It comes in a very neat wallet so is easy to carry around in the van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back