Electrolux domestic fridge servicing advice please

gypo

We have an Electrolux domestic 3 way fridge in our van. I’m sure it needs servicing as it’s burning the gas dirty if that makes sense and we are getting the smell of the exhaust fumes from it in the van.
A will back I took out the baffle from the exhaust and cleaned it up and also made up a tube that could be inserted down the exhaust to hover out the soot, this worked for a while but now it’s smelling again.
Do I need to actually take the fridge out to access the burner and jets etc or can it be done via the bottom external vent cover?(see pic attached) I’ve taken the plastic cover off the exhaust for now to allow the fumes to clear a bit easier.
I half heartedly tried to take the fridge out before but it’s in there very tightly.
Cheers
D

Hi ya,
Just a question, Is your fridge installation ‘Roomsealed’ kinda,,,,?
I’m guessing that they would have checked this on your Habitation CO reading print out, I really don’t think that you should be able to smell the gas burning from the inside at all is the reason I ask !.
I’ve got the same set up but obviously VERY much older. I just take both the covers off & clean with an Air Line blower & a soft bristled pair brush a cpl of times a year.
Have you got a Exhaust Blow back defuser for the end of your Exhaust?, it’s like a plastic cover with holes in it !.

Hi, the first time it happened I made sure it was all sealed from the room then cleaned the exhaust with my hover attachment and all was well.
I have the plastic bug thingy but it’s a bit tired brittle and blackened up, I’ve ordered another to replace it. You can see on the photo how black it is around the exhaust.
I think I need to get at the burner and give it a good cleaning but not sure if I can do this without taking the fridge out?
The van is a 2006 model and I’m sure the fridge has never been serviced.
Cheers
D

You can get at the burner through the bottom grill.

As for smelling fumes in the van, I have yet to own a van which has a properly sealed fridge. You can improve the sealing yourself with lengths of domestic sealing lengths (made from foam rubber with an adhesive back.

Thank you both, when we are home I’ll have a good look at it, currently jollying in France :)

One last thing any idea where to get the sealing strips from please?
Thanks

** Disclaimer: Info below provided as-is - if you damage your van or blow yourself up, it ain't my fault! If in doubt, ask a professional! **

If you cannot get access to remove the burner assembly via the fridge vents then, you'll need to get the fridge out. Its a pain in the neck, but doable even in the confines of a PVC (I have serviced mine yearly).

Turn off the gas at the bottles and run the hob/fridge to drain the pipework. Via the lower vent hole, undo the gas connection on the fridge, and also the electrical connections. The fridge will be screwed into place from the door side, so find and undo all the screws.

On my van the fridge always 'sticks' and there is nothing much to get a hold on. If you have an upper vent you may be able to reach an arm in and tip it up thus 'unsticking' it. On mine, brute force is required from inside the van to pull the top of the fridge forward, this lifting the rear, bottom of the fridge. After that it slides out fairly readily. Find a sturdy plastic box (I use an electric drill plastic case cause its the right height), and position this under the fridge front as a platform upon which to stand the fridge when it emerges from its cavity.

Once its out, you need to get the burner off and the 'orafice' (gas jet) out from the end of the pipework (note its position and orientation). You might want to replace the orafice (and the burner) depending on its condition. Get some rubbing alcohol https://amzn.to/2LZioHj and using a plastic tray, submerge the entire burner and orafice in the alcohol. I actually do this in a an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner! https://amzn.to/2LDrD0V and it comes out sparking!

While the burner is cleaning, remove the top of the chimney (if its removable) and pull out the 'spring' if its fitted. Clean the chimney top with a pipe cleaner (I use this: https://amzn.to/34RhPYB ), then clean the chimney also from top and bottom.

Take a hoover to the back of the fridge/cabinet while you can, and check/clean or replace the seals in the cabinet from where the fridge emerged.

Take a look at your cleaned burner, and judge whether you re-install it, or just replace it. They are 50-70quid depending on model.

In true haynes manual fashion, re-assembly is the reverse of removal!

Once its back in, ensure fridge is off, and reconnect the gas. Turn the gas on at the bottle and check for leaks with ferry liquid or proper gas leak-check fluid. Leave the covers off for now, and fire up the fridge on Gas, check the quality of the flame (blue, not orange!), test fridge on 12V and 240V before completing the job.

** Disclaimer: Info above provided as-is - if you damage your van or blow yourself up, it ain't my fault! If in doubt, ask a professional! **

Thanks for taking the time to go into such depth explaining and providing the links
I’m pretty good on gas installations so have no problem doing the job. It will be one of those Saturday morning jobs by the sounds of it that usually run into the afternoon!
When we are back I’ll get onto it and get it sorted.
Cheers
D

If you look INSIDE the fridge there might be a little viewing window to see the flame,
17CDCF9D-5B3F-43E4-9C4A-F48BDA9B700F.jpeg

& of course it should be burning BLUE if all ok
But I can see from the colour of your exhaust that yours might be more yellow at a guess

T
If you look INSIDE the fridge there should be a little viewing window to see the flame, & of course it should be burning BLUE if all ok
But I can see from the colour of your exhaust that yours might be more yellow at a guess
Thanks I’ll have a look in a bit once we get back to the van.

Hi, I’ve looked inside and there is no window, I took the bottom vent off and I can just see a flame to the right hand side, very hard to see tho the colour of it. I’ll wait till it’s darker here and try again.
Thanks
D

This looks like my fridge, I’ll give it a whirl when I’m back, thanks all for the info and help, between us I’m sure we will get it sorted

One last thing any idea where to get the sealing strips from please?
Thanks

Just google 'sealing and insulation tape', there is a big choice. What I used may be no use for your setup.

Also, when you are working on the burner, take the top vent off as well to look for any gaps where the fumes might get into the van (it is the external draught that blows them in). Seal with gaffer tape. It helps to park with the fridge side of the van out of the wind ... if possible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back