Electric motorhome

Toffeecat

Looks good but im very suspicious of range quoted by companies. And its only £200,000 Euro. Gulp! Ok if you do campsites with hook up and charging points. What about wilding and using lights tv etc. Watch that range drop.

Reactions: RAW
If you run out of juice the AA will bring you a few gallons of charge wont they.
In fact i have heard the AA & RAC will be running vans with gens or large battery packs to jump charge you to get to a nearby charging spot,that is if there are no other sucking on the teats.

I met a nissan 200E electric camper conversion ontop of the col d' izeran 2700m. They said the climb of 1000m from val disere 20 kilometer took 22% of the battery rather than about 10% if level but they expected to get down the other side almost for free. They had a german lifting roof conversion you could sleep 2 in. 2 bikes on the back. They had driven from Germany at 120 kilometer average per charge. 20% to 80% fast charge in an hour or long overnight on a 6amp hookup. They had 130 watt solar on the roof for lights and a compressor fridge. It can be done already

I met a nissan 200E electric camper conversion ontop of the col d' izeran 2700m. They said the climb of 1000m from val disere 20 kilometer took 22% of the battery rather than about 10% if level but they expected to get down the other side almost for free. They had a german lifting roof conversion you could sleep 2 in. 2 bikes on the back. They had driven from Germany at 120 kilometer average per charge. 20% to 80% fast charge in an hour or long overnight on a 6amp hookup. They had 130 watt solar on the roof for lights and a compressor fridge. It can be done already
It can be done, but still far from practical for many. The nearest bit of coast to me is beyond 120km, so just to get to the coast would need a stop and charge, on a Friday evening after work going off for the weekend this is not so good. Then there was the other favourite for me when traveling down to Cornwall, leave in the evening and drive to near bottom of M5, arriving at around 11pm, and an early start in morning to miss the traffic, this would need at least 3 one hour stops, and 11pm becomes at best 2am, the easy journey suddenly becomes much more onerous, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to that size of van. On the otherhand, a local estate uses these for those that do mainly short journies, such as the buildings manager, and they work really well for that.

It can be done, but still far from practical for many. The nearest bit of coast to me is beyond 120km, so just to get to the coast would need a stop and charge, on a Friday evening after work going off for the weekend this is not so good. Then there was the other favourite for me when traveling down to Cornwall, leave in the evening and drive to near bottom of M5, arriving at around 11pm, and an early start in morning to miss the traffic, this would need at least 3 one hour stops, and 11pm becomes at best 2am, the easy journey suddenly becomes much more onerous, and I'm not sure I would want to go back to that size of van. On the otherhand, a local estate uses these for those that do mainly short journies, such as the buildings manager, and they work really well for that.
It may be early days, but the minor inconveniences you describe will be worth it to be able to tell your grandchildren that you were one of the first to try to give them a future. I will certainly not buy another diesel.

Problem with above post that to make a battery pack is twice as dirty as a car running about 15 years,and to top that,cloths made around the world produce more dirty gases in one minute than all the cars running in the uk for 10 years,so where do we start to fix all this,dont think there is a easy solution.

Problem with above post that to make a battery pack is twice as dirty as a car running about 15 years,and to top that,cloths made around the world produce more dirty gases in one minute than all the cars running in the uk for 10 years,so where do we start to fix all this,dont think there is a easy solution.
It's turned out to be even worse than that, due to the wind turbine manufacturers using gas which is much worse than co2 for green gases the so called green energy has so far been anything but, then we have the national grid being behind on recognising the need to shift large amounts of (relatively) low voltage power across the country which has been very costly. Electric vehicles are still evolving and I feel many will end up on the scrapheap very early as they are superseded by better models. As the technology evolves I hope it will work out, but as far as I'm concerned it's not there yet and is not suitable or sustainable for widespread use except in limited circumstances. Gf used to drive a Renault Zoe occasionally at work and we looked at buying one, not only are they very expensive for the class of car, the battery lease costs are around same as or higher than it costs for petrol used on standard car.

It's turned out to be even worse than that, due to the wind turbine manufacturers using gas which is much worse than co2 for green gases the so called green energy has so far been anything but, then we have the national grid being behind on recognising the need to shift large amounts of (relatively) low voltage power across the country which has been very costly. Electric vehicles are still evolving and I feel many will end up on the scrapheap very early as they are superseded by better models. As the technology evolves I hope it will work out, but as far as I'm concerned it's not there yet and is not suitable or sustainable for widespread use except in limited circumstances. Gf used to drive a Renault Zoe occasionally at work and we looked at buying one, not only are they very expensive for the class of car, the battery lease costs are around same as or higher than it costs for petrol used on standard car.
Yes perhaps it is early days. But dont give up looking. I wont!
I do not believe what Trevskoda says is true but if it were, the answer is do not buy things made of "cloths" and Also try to buy lesser CO2 transport.
I worked out that 6000 miles of driving our little camper to Spain made less CO2 than heating our house for the winter. That might be a good idea?
Whoever you are the more money you have to spend the more damage you will do to the future, almost by definition. Where do we get the money to solve the climate crisis? By taxing the excessively rich and all learning to have enough with less?

Climate change is not a technological problem only to be solved if cost benefit analysis shows it is worth it. It a moral wrong where some people cause other people (mostly but not all in the future) to suffer and die. It must be stopped!

Yes perhaps it is early days. But dont give up looking. I wont!
I do not believe what Trevskoda says is true but if it were, the answer is do not buy things made of "cloths" and Also try to buy lesser CO2 transport.
I worked out that 6000 miles of driving our little camper to Spain made less CO2 than heating our house for the winter. That might be a good idea?
Whoever you are the more money you have to spend the more damage you will do to the future, almost by definition. Where do we get the money to solve the climate crisis? By taxing the excessively rich and all learning to have enough with less?
I dont tell porkies:censored:,lots of info to be read and i just qt others on tinternet.

All the cars, buses, HGV, and Motorhomes in the world account for 14% of CO2 emmisions. It seems to me that things that are not as tangible as driving about in a diesel Motorhome are doing far more damage.
The average uk citizen produces 7 tons of CO2 per annum, the average US citizen 22 tons.
After you visit Las Vegas, you realise that we are doing is a bit like farting in the wind. Oops sorry just added more greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
The world can cover every citizen making about 2 or 3 tons of CO2 per person, so nevermind the USA you are still part of the moral wrong. My foot print is about 5 ton so me too!

If my f/print was 5 ton then i would try slimming world,darn it there books are more c/footprint,maybe i should roll over and die,feck burn house more blinking co2,i will try vanish but again more plastic,my head hurts.

If my f/print was 5 ton then i would try slimming world,darn it there books are more c/footprint,maybe i should roll over and die,feck burn house more blinking co2,i will try vanish but again more plastic,my head hurts.

You need to go on a CO2 diet Trev.

You see when you tell people that they lack morals Derek, they just stop listening.
Im off to plant some trees, to improve my morals.:)
Yes that is a significant problem. I apologize .
However when for decades people have avoided the issue as a small thing that action can be kicked into the future and may even not be humanities fault.
Now that 99.9% of scientists who are expert in a relevant field see climate change as mostly Anthropomorphic, therefore our responsibility. We need to change our view or nothing will happen.
I became a whole food plant based diet person 6 months ago otherwise I would be 7 ton very average Brit myself. I need to do more myself but find further change more difficult, but I feel I must move further in the next few years or I will not be able to look my grandchildren in the eye.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back