electric bikes

argoose

The problem I had started with the flashing red after no real distance and developed to flashing red almost immediately. I would take it back to be repaired if you can. The flashing red was after 20 miles of constant use with quite a long uphill drag. Being a 200 Wh battery it seems acceptable. With no gearing you will rely on motor a lot more as well. I don't think battery is faulty, plus bikes are over five years old so well out of warranty.:o
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

argoose

Won't do you much good if (in the unlikely chance) the bike comes to the attention of the police, driving a untaxed, uninsured, vehicle with no type approval, MOT or helmet, could well lose you your licence. Thank you for your input

Cass

Bought a couple of these a year past April from our local Halford, got an excellent deal, certainly the way forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaOas_glPmU I have one of theses ok for pottering around town, the downside is the 20 inch wheels, My husband has one with 28 inch wheels and I struggle to keep up, my legs are going like mad but I cant go any faster.

runnach

I have one of theses ok for pottering around town, the downside is the 20 inch wheels, My husband has one with 28 inch wheels and I struggle to keep up, my legs are going like mad but I cant go any faster. You need to use the gears. :cool:

BusyLizzy

We both got a whisper bike each from scotby cycles Carlisle. We got the biggest capacity battery . My bike is what I would call a ladies bike but is classed as unisex to allow for getting older or disabilities that restrict you being able to swing leg over back. Ivenonly been out once but it’s meant the difference between being able to actually go a meaningful distance or not. I will change saddle for a wider gel one but definitely glad we got them .

Snapster

We have owned a couple of Kudos e bikes for about 6 years. They have been great, but both motors are starting to get noisy, the spring forks on one are a bit clunky, but the batteries are fine, still. They are heavy though, 29 and 25 kg. Anyway we decided to buy two more bikes and eventually bought two from our local Decathlon. They are the B-Twin Elops 900e. Step through for Mrs S and the crossbar model for me. Both have lights permenantly fitted ( powered from the battery) and 7 speed Shimano gears with mechanical disk brakes. They are really nice to ride and very quiet. The 3 assistance levels seem to cope with anything we have thrown at them and they are easy to ride with no assistance on reasonable level roads or tracks. Batteries seem to last well, I reckon we would get at least 25-30 miles before a recharge, maybe longer if you are prepared to assist more. We got a good deal on them, €200 off each. ( in France) Both weigh around 21kg each with the battery removed and fit...

bedonwheels

I have one of theses ok for pottering around town, the downside is the 20 inch wheels, My husband has one with 28 inch wheels and I struggle to keep up, my legs are going like mad but I cant go any faster. Reading that I too now have 'wheel envy'...

Last edited:

colinmd

I have had a Dechathlon full suspension ebike for several years, really liked it, but needed a easy mount bike due to hip, decided on a Cube crank drive, this is much better at climbing hills and range, but I do miss the rear suspension.

trevskoda

People buy them here for a novelty or for kids and a while later end up sold on web sites or auction houses for buttons

Clunegapyears

Got two kalkoff igattus. Big and relatively heavy, but tow a dog trailer on one. They can cope with most off road too. Range is dependent on how often you go into ‘pleasure’ (top) mode, but we’ve got about 75 km out of a full battery. Ian, we charge after each use off the sine wave inverter. - normally. They do pull quite a lot of power and we flattened our lithiums in Hereford as we charged before and after our ride, on leisure batteries that were full to start with!

colinmd

How do folks go on with charging ebikes when wild camping...is hook up essential? Got two kalkoff igattus. Big and relatively heavy, but tow a dog trailer on one. They can cope with most off road too. Range is dependent on how often you go into ‘pleasure’ (top) mode, but we’ve got about 75 km out of a full battery. Ian, we charge after each use off the sine wave inverter. - normally. They do pull quite a lot of power and we flattened our lithiums in Hereford as we charged before and after our ride, on leisure batteries that were full to start with! We use a cheap modified sine wave invertor, IIRC it draws around 7amp whilst charging. It takes several hours to fully charge a battery, but that is not the way to do it, best to charge little and often p.s. now we both have ebikes I am in process of upping our LB capacity by 60ah.

Last edited:

Snapster

Our batteries last about 50km or so, we charge them while travelling, they are plugged into an inverter. If you charge them daily if you can, they don’t take long to fully top up.

barge1914

How far or how long on average do you have to travel to get a full charge. We travel max 1.5hours in a day, I wonder whether that would be enough?

Snapster

We travel a lot, probably 2 or 3 hours on average per day and they seem to charge fully. We have 2 90ah leisure batteries and a 100w solar panel. I’ve also been able to charge the batteries ( one at a time) on a sunny day. we have a third battery ( it was left in the bike when we bought it, and they gave us 2 new batteries as well! Result). It usually means we can rotate the charging so we always have at least one full battery.

colinmd

How far or how long on average do you have to travel to get a full charge. We travel max 1.5hours in a day, I wonder whether that would be enough? I recon on getting at least 10 miles on the bike for every hour of charge, if not on EHU we only charge 1 bike at a time, so that would be 15miles in your case, so for every two days driving we could do 15miles of cycling for the pair of us, but with the extra 60ah of battery we are adding the charger can be left on longer than the 1.5hrs and not interfere with our other power usage. As I posted before, you can charge a bit each day and not wait until the bike battery gets flat

paulhelenwilko

Free Member
Can I suggest you go to one of the big retailers such as Rutland Cycles. They let you have a ride around and I have found their advice and knowledge sound. It's worth a try when you are unsure. Some of their centres are on cycle trails and they have an e-bike hire fleet.

argoose

How do folks go on with charging ebikes when wild camping...is hook up essential? you'll need an inverter (pure sinewave, not modified)

colinmd

you'll need an inverter (pure sinewave, not modified) Why would you need a pure sinewave? Many of us don't.