electric bikes

BusyLizzy

hi I used to scoff at electric bikes... thinking lazy ....... Im just being honest there. Following a horse riding accident , mountain biking is not for me. I do want to cycle roads and also easy off road trails. Not on a professional level by any means but more of a weekend user. Any one got any reviews for a ladies hybrid type bike, more road than off. Anything helps, ease of transporting, charging, weight to ride unassisted, mileage, ease to charge, comfort factor .... it all helps thanks in anticipation of replies
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

colinmd

I have a Decathlon hub drive full suspension hybrid, gf has a Cube crank drive step throu hybrid. I'm now looking to get a Cube crank drive hybrid. The only downside to Cubes are their soft paint which tends to chip off very easily.

trevskoda

Local facebook market place and gumtree full of them with 100 miles use selling at a fraction of new price,just another must have gimmick.

colinmd

Local facebook market place and gumtree full of them with 100 miles use selling at a fraction of new price, That will probably be those that brought cheap and/or didn't understand you still have to pedal just another must have gimmick. Bet they said that about horseless carriages.

Robina

We each have a Gtech city bike. Step through model, weighing 16.5 kilograms. It is an absolute dream to ride an e-bike and makes the difference between being able to ride around on a bike and not riding a bike at all. This is most definitely not a gimmick but, together with other personal e-transport devices, is the future. And I don't just mean for oldies - imagine cycling to work and not being hot and sweaty when you get there! They are particularly good for the less strong cyclist as they really help setting off from a standstill - especially at lights and roundabouts when you need to get going fast. My bike developed a problem with the connection between the battery and the bike and it was repaired for free under warranty. I did have to take it to the Leeds shop though which would have been a problem if we lived further away. I cannot offer any comparison to other makes as I have only had this one. I have only done up to ten miles between charging and the battery seemed to...

runnach

Bought a couple of these a year past April from our local Halford, got an excellent deal, certainly the way forward. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaOas_glPmU

Robina

hi I used to scoff at electric bikes... thinking lazy ....... Im just being honest there. Following a horse riding accident , mountain biking is not for me. I do want to cycle roads and also easy off road trails. Not on a professional level by any means but more of a weekend user. Any one got any reviews for a ladies hybrid type bike, more road than off. Anything helps, ease of transporting, charging, weight to ride unassisted, mileage, ease to charge, comfort factor .... it all helps thanks in anticipation of replies Here are a few more details I missed in my last enthusiastic reply: - they go on the cycle rack the same as any other bike and are liftable (by Neil) at 16.5 kg - they are pedal-assist which means you have to pedal to get the e-boost - there are two modes - low assist and high assist - with no assist at all they are a bit heavy to ride - have no gears - charging is fast enough but I have not measured it and easy as the battery clicks off easily. - the battery...

harrow

Do take care if you buy one to use on public roads that they comply with the law which I think is as follows, If an electric motorbike is restricted to 15mph, has a motor of 250 watts output or less, and has pedals, it is legally an electric bicycle and can be ridden by anyone aged 14 or over. They require no registration documents, number plates, tax disc or MOT. The rider does not need to be in possession of a licence. There has been at least a couple of people killed on them and the police have confiscated some of the electric scooters used on public roads, its been shown on TV

trevskoda

Police would have a full time job here if they stopped all the kids on lecy and petrol scooters,some of the housing estates sound like a nest of wasps after school.:scared:

harrow

Electric scooter rider killed in Battersea lorry crash - BBC News Electric scooter crash: Boy fighting for life after second London accident in days | The Independent 100 e-scooter riders stopped in a week as cops FINALLY crack down on drivers after death of YouTube star Emily Hartridge – The Sun Just before you buy if its to use on a public road, make sure its legal.

argoose

I use the GTECH sport and GF has the GTECH city (step through, sit up dutch bike style). very uncluttered, just two brake levers on handlebars. GF is waiting for knee op, to give example of how useful Ebikes are. We did 20 miles from Barmouth to Dolgellau on the Mawddch trail, didn't use the battery for more than ten minuets on inclines. We also rode 20 miles from Weymouth to Dorchester, I had 25% battery left GF had flashing red (less than 6 miles). First ride We would have had to get off and walk inclines, second ride would be a non starter. As said before the GTECH's have no gears, so steeper hills can be a problem. I have put the Swytch system on the GF's bike to 1) increase range 2) more assist on steeper hills. If you have a bike at the moment the swytch system mighty be for you. Swytch eBike Conversion Kits - ANY bike Electric

colinmd

Electric scooter rider killed in Battersea lorry crash - BBC News Electric scooter crash: Boy fighting for life after second London accident in days | The Independent 100 e-scooter riders stopped in a week as cops FINALLY crack down on drivers after death of YouTube star Emily Hartridge – The Sun Just before you buy if its to use on a public road, make sure its legal. It's advisable to buy a pedalec from a reputable dealer such as Evans, Rutland Cycles, or even our local one Transitions, they will sell you a road legal pedal assist bike, all those in the news are electric scooters which aren't road legal and probably nothing like the OP is looking for.

colinmd

I use the GTECH sport and GF has the GTECH city (step through, sit up dutch bike style). very uncluttered, just two brake levers on handlebars. GF is waiting for knee op, to give example of how useful Ebikes are. We did 20 miles from Barmouth to Dolgellau on the Mawddch trail, didn't use the battery for more than ten minuets on inclines. We also rode 20 miles from Weymouth to Dorchester, I had 25% battery left GF had flashing red (less than 6 miles). First ride We would have had to get off and walk inclines, second ride would be a non starter. As said before the GTECH's have no gears, so steeper hills can be a problem. I have put the Swytch system on the GF's bike to 1) increase range 2) more assist on steeper hills. If you have a bike at the moment the swytch system mighty be for you. Swytch eBike Conversion Kits - ANY bike Electric Are you saying you added an extra motor to the GTECH?

iampatman

Ignore all the posts about electric scooters. I’ve had an ebike for a year - Cube Cross Hybrid One 500, (which has now been updated for 2019). I don’t ride every day but it’s just clocked up 1,000K without missing a beat. I bought it from an independent bike shop and did a fair bit of research before buying. I’m not sure what your budget is and there are certainly some second hand bargains to be had but I’d recommend calling in to a reputable independent bike shop and having a chat with them even if you don’t buy a bike from them. Let them know what you want the bike for and have a list of questions to ask. There are so many options. Bit like buying a motorhome eh? Since I’ve had mine I’ve cycled further and laughed at steep hills. Pat

colinmd

I plead the fifth Won't do you much good if (in the unlikely chance) the bike comes to the attention of the police, driving a untaxed, uninsured, vehicle with no type approval, MOT or helmet, could well lose you your licence.

trevskoda

Halfrods were selling them her last year until they found out they were not legal in N Ireland,they had to take them back and refund folk,then the law got changed to same as mainland,they have a few in stock but folk bitten once twice shy.

Robina

I use the GTECH sport and GF has the GTECH city (step through, sit up dutch bike style). very uncluttered, just two brake levers on handlebars. GF is waiting for knee op, to give example of how useful Ebikes are. We did 20 miles from Barmouth to Dolgellau on the Mawddch trail, didn't use the battery for more than ten minuets on inclines. We also rode 20 miles from Weymouth to Dorchester, I had 25% battery left GF had flashing red (less than 6 miles). First ride We would have had to get off and walk inclines, second ride would be a non starter. As said before the GTECH's have no gears, so steeper hills can be a problem. I have put the Swytch system on the GF's bike to 1) increase range 2) more assist on steeper hills. If you have a bike at the moment the swytch system mighty be for you. Swytch eBike Conversion Kits - ANY bike Electric The problem I had started with the flashing red after no real distance and developed to flashing red almost immediately. I would take it back to be...