EHU mains inlet socket cover

Caz

For 30 + years I have struggled with opening the cover on the mains inlet socket when I want to connect to EHU. On every caravan, folding camper, campervan and motorhome I have ever owned they have been a struggle and have removed skin and flesh from my fingers, broken countless fingernails, and I've even broken a couple of the flaps 'cos they seem to have two attachments and rip in half if you pull too hard on one side.

I can't believe that in all these years no-one has come up with a better system - or does anyone know of one? All I can find online are like for like replacements. Help, please!

😂😂 we should swap mine doesn’t close and when I drive it’s flapping and i can see it in the wig mirror.

Last edited:
😂😂 we should swap mine doesn’t close and when I drive it’s flapping anti can see it in the wig mirror.

When travelling a short distance between sites using EHU I have been tempted to not close it properly to avoid the grief when I arrive at the next site - but am scared it will fly off and smash the windscreen of the vehicle behind!

I once lost a kitchen window from a caravan somewhere on the A38 because I hadn't latched it properly when packing up.

For 30 + years I have struggled with opening the cover on the mains inlet socket when I want to connect to EHU. On every caravan, folding camper, campervan and motorhome I have ever owned they have been a struggle and have removed skin and flesh from my fingers, broken countless fingernails, and I've even broken a couple of the flaps 'cos they seem to have two attachments and rip in half if you pull too hard on one side.

I can't believe that in all these years no-one has come up with a better system - or does anyone know of one? All I can find online are like for like replacements. Help, please!
Mine clips down very hard - and so hard in fact that it has split between the two clips (same as two of yours broke by the sound of it?)

Suggestion for you ... using a nail file, run away at one of the clips a little and see it you can make it give up a little easier. bit of filing, the testing, then filing, etc. if that worked, repeat on the other side. Just enough so the wind won't catch it but you can pull it up.

No bother with mine and easy to open and close, it did catch and hold some water behind the flap even though the seal is ok, so 3 small holes drilled at a 45% downward angle to let it drain saved the day

When travelling a short distance between sites using EHU I have been tempted to not close it properly to avoid the grief when I arrive at the next site - but am scared it will fly off and smash the windscreen of the vehicle behind!
I wouldn’t worry about that. Nine times out of ten. I forgot to close mine. It’s always been there when I arrive at my next stop.

The refrigerated vans electric sockets are not down low, but shoulder hight situated by drivers door . Ugley but much more assessable. Some evan have screw sockets with caps that screw on. Larger type

I've always left ours on all vans open, never lost one or had a problem until this last time away when the wind kept flipping it open and closed, it'll stay closed til I need it then leave it open until it becomes annoying again.

The refrigerated vans electric sockets are not down low, but shoulder hight situated by drivers door . Ugley but much more assessable. Some evan have screw sockets with caps that screw on. Larger type
Mine's easy enough to get to - providing I don't park too close to the garden wall, it's just getting the thing open that causes problems.

A screw cap would be much more sensible, like the one for the water inlet. Put it on the dashboard to remind people to disconnect EHU before driving off - I've seen and heard of so many people doing that.

Just need someone to make one and I'm sure it would be popular.

Mine's easy enough to get to - providing I don't park too close to the garden wall, it's just getting the thing open that causes problems.

A screw cap would be much more sensible, like the one for the water inlet. Put it on the dashboard to remind people to disconnect EHU before driving off - I've seen and heard of so many people doing that.

Just need someone to make one and I'm sure it would be popular.
Try spraying some WD40, I found that helped.

Reactions: Caz

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back