Dometic Fridge problem

Toffeecat

Well just when alls going well, something goes wrong. I have a big Dometic fridge freezer. All was fine then noticed today on hook up the fridge wasnt cooling stuff. Freezer not working wither. The power is on, the lights working in the fridge, fuse is fine but no coolling. Battery power works, gas works but no cooling via hook up. Any ideas?

Is it detecting 240V?
If not - or not sure - maybe check MCB for the fridge circuit is up. Is fridge plugged into a socket which has a switch or is a Fused spur that could have a blown fuse?

Hi to be honest im no electrician. I checked the yellow fuse it was fine the one for the fridge. The powers on in the fridge as the lights are on so i assume its getting power. The main box hasnt tripped.

i know im a tit but Im parked on a slope Its a lot more "slopey" than I thought, Could this be the problem? Googled it so if it sounds daft blame Google.

the fuse and the light on the fridge will be a 12V supply one I would think, so that power wouldn't be a factor.
I am no fridge expert and my limit in that area is checking if the fridge has got the 240V input (so stuff like AC breakers and 240 spurs (for example in my MH, there is a breaker for the fridge circuit in the main consumer unit and the fridge itself is plugged into a socket in a cupboard under the fridge which has a switch - so I would check the switch was on and the fuse in the plug was ok))

Ah. I think Dometics are ok up to 6 degrees? Thetford 3 degrees apparently?

Put your hand or nose to the top vent while it is on 240v, if there is no warmth coming from it then it could be the 240v element has failed, if you detect heat then it could just be because it isn't level enough although if it is working on gas that is doubtful

i know im a tit but Im parked on a slope Its a lot more "slopey" than I thought, Could this be the problem? Googled it so if it sounds daft blame Google.
Yes.

Worth bearing in mind the orientation of your fridge in the vehicle.

Tilt left to right when facing the fridge is much more of a problem than tilt front to back.

The process relies on evaporation and condensation. If the fridge is tilted left to right this process will stop working once a certain degree of tilt occurs.

Park the vehicle level and see if it comes back to life.

If it works on gas and 12v then the refrigerant is OK. If OK on gas but not cooling on 240v then it suggests the 240v element may have blown. An electrician is needed or at least someone handy with a multimeter.

Keith

Most fridges plug into a 230v socket just like the ones at home.

Some simple tests to help identify the problem.

1) Do other 230v devices (e.g. microwave) work

2) Is the socket switch on?

3) Does the socket work ? (plug a socket tester into it, or a 230v device)

4) Is the fuse in the fridge 230v plug OK?

Remember it takes hours for a fridge to cool down to operating temperature. Use a fridge thermometer to monitor the temperature.

Good Luck

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back