Dodgy character wanting to buy van

Debroos

I seem to remember a thread on here where people had had someone coming to the door wanting to buy their van.
Just happened to us. My OH answered the door to a kid who asked if we wanted to sell it. On saying no his, presumably, dad who was sitting in a flash car started asking weird questions like 'if we did want to sell it what would we want' and how much did we think it was worth.
Had English accents.
Very unsetting, especially as we live in a close which is, itself, on a dead end road and you can't see the van from the road...

Same here, one Irish sounding, one English sounding. Pished me off because we have a sign similar to this.
1726935329748.png

Fat lot of good that is!

Should replace it with FECK OFF.

Simple security steps needed here.

Fact is you simply cannot stop your van from being stolen, but you can make it hard to steal and if it’s hard enough and risky enough they will look elsewhere.

The longer it takes them the more they are at risk, the more they can be seen the more they are at risk.

The more noise they have to make the more they are likely to be heard and again at risk.

You have reason to believe you may be targeted so block the van in with a car or two, park it to protect the habitation door, move the keys ideally to another address and inform the Police of your concerns, check if neighbours have cctv camera, ring doorbells etc and ask them to look for the car.

It’s highly unlikely that these people will be back to nick the van, but you need to have piece of mind so play safe.

I wonder if they were touting to sell on commission or just hoping to buy cheap for profit? We once had a smart dressed fella with an Irish accent, driving a posh car, knocking asking how much, but a firm no sent him on his way. Just a chancer I guess? Another time someone placed a note on our MH windscreen with their phone number if we wanted to sell. There's no harm in them just asking, is there? 🤔

I wonder if they were touting to sell on commission or just hoping to buy cheap for profit? We once had a smart dressed fella with an Irish accent, driving a posh car, knocking asking how much, but a firm no sent him on his way. Just a chancer I guess? Another time someone placed a note on our MH windscreen with their phone number if we wanted to sell. There's no harm in them just asking, is there? 🤔
They know the score when they ask, they're not looking to offer a fair price, if anything thing at all 😔. Take precautions as advised above.

Where I am, if someone knocked asking about the motorhome, I would know they must have not just stumbled across it!
Away for a few days from it, so got the steering wheel thru' lock on, the front wheel clamp on and the front seats swivelled and locked together with a D-Lock just in case

To be honest ....
your average scrote vehicle thief ISN'T going to knock on and ask before spiriting your vehicle away ....
Those types will just remove it silently in the dark of the night ...

The ones knocking and asking are likely just trying to flip a unwanted/unloved/undervalued vehicle for a few quid .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:167)

Nesting Zombie, Jo001, TJBi, Pudsey Bear, ewen, TeamRienza, The laird, mistericeman, Tonybvi, colinm, Heppy, Charlynch, Gerry Attrick, rambrose, Neckender, n brown, Scotia, Fisherman, alcam, bartman, guerdeval, molly 2, jeffmossy, jann, Herbenny, trevskoda, Alberto, Rod, runnach, SimonM, barryd, Tezza33, edina, denmar, MartinFife, saxonborg, 2cv, Boris7, izwozral, NSY, RichardHelen262, mark61, Dowel, r4dent, Drover, Nabsim, Gadabout2, campervanannie, kingfisher1, merl, Topmast, DAVEY, korky, GeoffL, Dezi, DTF, Bigshug, Phantom, bobemmo29, oppy, andyjanet, yeoblade, wildebus, Wully, Canalsman, groyne, Andys, yorkslass, Lee, RSD7a, number14, bazil, Greengrass, AllanD, exwindsurfer, Glandwr, Tim120, Obanboy666, zzr1400tim, jeanette, peejay, Wooie1958, lizard, gypo, AdriaTwin, ricc, tribute11, helmit, Quiddle, Budgie, DaveH, davep10000, GMJ, marchie, Gerti58, Fazerloz, winks, Linca, Steve and Julie, mariesnowgoose, belbri, V1nny, iampatman, s4x4c, Robmac, Johndoris, chrishunter, TissyD, Benylin, marsden, caledonia, Lizzie, Headlight, Val54, Bouydog, clarkpeacock, witzend, longtoedsloth, Windy6, kevlakes, Chris Evans001, Mossystone, dbean, freebird, tobym, carthago, BOTCANU, Sharon the Cat, Polar Bear, ajb70, Rosehip, flying kipper, Clunegapyears, iandsm, noah and nelly, centerman, Ted, Martin P, DSR, sandya, Thistle, jagmanx, calvo, Salvage1, BigD003, Gasdave, Tartarus, Harrers, REC, Cass, murthat, KevinW, vtwinner, AndyJL, eddie5060, TonyandJo, Eric The Viking, Lovelace, barrypat, mick n jules, Bazza1509, dvla3336, Hogweed, sludgesurfer, Wardy73, roddew, sueb,
Back