DIY waxed jacket

hextal

I've always fancied a Belstaff or Barbour jacket (the Merlin are nice too).

The problem for me was that it was for off the bike rather than on it, plus I always found the fit (at least with Belstaff) to be really boxy. Even when I tried them in in exactly the right size, I looked like I was wearing a hand-me-down from a fat older brother.

Fit aside, I love the look of them.

So, out of boredom I decided to get a cheap normal cotton jacket that was a good fit and wax it myself.

First time i tried rubbing solid wax on it then using a heat gun. I then put it on with a grey long sleeve short underneath and got our lass to spray me with the hose, so I could highlight any wet patches. Evidently I was over confident (there was a solitary dry patch under one arm - likely from having that arm down).

So 2nd time I opted to melt the wax in a pot (sitting in a pan of boiling water) then sponge it on whilst using the heat gun to preheat the areas I was waxing. Bingo!!!

Problem now is that I keep wondering what else I can wax. Might do some "tin pants" next, well, waxed jeans.

I know waxed stuff needs maintaing, and doesn't breath etc, but I do like the way the waxed cotton looks and the patina it develops. Plus, cos it was predominantly beeswax, it smells nice too.

Tookey

I've always fancied a Belstaff or Barbour jacket (the Merlin are nice too).

The problem for me was that it was for off the bike rather than on it, plus I always found the fit (at least with Belstaff) to be really boxy. Even when I tried them in in exactly the right size, I looked like I was wearing a hand-me-down from a fat older brother.

Fit aside, I love the look of them.

So, out of boredom I decided to get a cheap normal cotton jacket that was a good fit and wax it myself.

First time i tried rubbing solid wax on it then using a heat gun. I then put it on with a grey long sleeve short underneath and got our lass to spray me with the hose, so I could highlight any wet patches. Evidently I was over confident (there was a solitary dry patch under one arm - likely from having that arm down).

So 2nd time I opted to melt the wax in a pot (sitting in a pan of boiling water) then sponge it on whilst using the heat gun to preheat the areas I was waxing. Bingo!!!

Problem now is that I keep wondering what else I can wax. Might do some "tin pants" next, well, waxed jeans.

I know waxed stuff needs maintaing, and doesn't breath etc, but I do like the way the waxed cotton looks and the patina it develops. Plus, cos it was predominantly beeswax, it smells nice too.
That is surely one of the most bizarre starts to a thread I have ever read on any forum, liked it though :)

PHOTO PLEASE 🙏

trevskoda

Still have my bel trialmaster outfit in the loft,but its gone a whitish colour,must redo it.

REC

Amazing the skills which are being developed in lockdown!(y)

Obanboy666

Still have a Barbour Solway Zipper waxed jacket I bought when 23 years old, 40 years ago. The first waxed cotton jacket Barbour sold and discontinued 20 years ago.
Its been back to the factory 4 times for various repairs and re-waxing. Heavy, not as waterproof as modern materials and not breathable but I wouldn’t part with it at any price.
I have worn it on all my shooting trips for 40 years and would not venture out shooting without it. The patches, holes and stains bring back many great memories like when I shot my first greylag goose flighting off Loch Ken on a cold December morning, I can picture it now, great memories.

mfw

I bought a waxed coat for walking the dog from newforest clothing - seem well priced might be easier for some

Scotia

Still have my bel trialmaster outfit in the loft,but its gone a whitish colour,must redo it.
I had three trialsmaster jackets being the smallest out of the group of bike friends i inherited them and a pair of leggings, they mysteriously disappeared when we moved house. I'm convinced Christina threw them out but she always denied it.😡

trevskoda

I had three trialsmaster jackets being the smallest out of the group of bike friends i inherited them and a pair of leggings, they mysteriously disappeared when we moved house. I'm convinced Christina threw them out but she always denied it.😡
Been there had the ticket,you try that on them and all hell would break loose.:mad:

caledonia

I had a Barbour international jacket since I was a teenager up until we moved house and Sharon binned it in the de clutter stage much to my annoyance. She did say she would buy me a new one but it’s not the same.🤬

hextal

Ha, yeah, was a fairly random post.

Really like the trialmaster, but it looks like I'm wearing a tent, think I need to get down the gym (or the pie shop).

Will get pic uploaded when I've tweaked a couple of bits.

Robmac

Love my Barbour which I've had for decades. Had it re-waxed a couple of years back and it's like new again.

I recently got a new lightweight Barbour as a present, it really does weigh next to nothing and is very comfortable. I just hope it lasts as long as the other one.

Fazerloz

i like the way the pockets fill up with freezing water in the rain , and more seeps through the zip as you rustle and crackle along the road as you try to get somewhere warm and dry to remove what now feels like a massively heavy old lorry tarp
The perfect description 😂 😂 I fckn hate them especially in winter. Boy was i glad when better gear came along. The only time they were dry was when bin liners were made and you put a bin liner over them. Couldn't throw them out quick enough.
Hextal if you want to smell like a old sideboard when we meet at squires after this crap i will bring some old beeswax for you. (y)

Snapster

I had a Belstaff jacket and trousers in the late ,70s and early ‘80s. Great clothes, but getting pricey now.