Disaster has struck

Martin gaze

Hi Everyone so yesterday was on my way to get MOT done and the gearbox went, Its not worth getting fixed as im currently in a low emission zone so im having strip out the van to try can claw some money back so that i can try and get a newer smaller van.
Im absolutely gutted

Thanks alot everyone im looking at downsizing to a renault trafic lwb for a while and see whta this country does over the next few years towards us vanners as it isnt looking great the minute

When you say the gearbox has gone what are the symptoms?
the clutch pedal has gone straight to the floor, I had a look at the clutch fork and everything inside is just rattling around. I had a new clutch and flywheel 13 months ago and havent done that many miles in it since. But more than that i live in Dagenham so im inside the LEZ so this van costs me £100 a day to drive around so im having to leave it at Stansted, This isnt ideal it is a great van and ive spent lots on it but want something i can drive around and keep outside my house so i can use it more.

That doesn't sound that catastrophic for a gearbox, I'd suggest checking the cable hasn't snapped or come off either end first but it sounds like the thrust bearing retainer clip or the fork connector has come off. I'd take it to a garage, get it repaired then sell it, would be worth far far more I working order.

Have to agree with hamster It could be the clutch fork that has broken or has come detached ,if so that would be gear box removal but not expensive parts if so good diy job for perspective buyer .

Last edited:
Not the gearbox from what you said.Anything rattling around inside the housing sounds like the fork has come adrift,or broken.If you,ve had a new clutch recently with low mileage then the clutch components should be ok.

Release bearing or fork, do you drive with your foot on clutch pedal or hold it in gear at lights, if so 10 lashes and rub some salt in. :(

I agree it just sounds like a clutch issue, something has failed or come adrift. Best to sell it as is really.

I had a car with me years back where a chap had a new clutch fitted, same think pedal to the floor and lots of clattering, turned out the garage had fitted a friction plate but used the old diaphragm and release bearing, yep center collapsed on diaphram and the release bearing pushed in and was running on the pressure plate and bits from the cover, and yes he had paid £500 for a sub standard half job, werent to happy when I showed him the old bits.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back