Diesel van heater

Update on post 45

God save us from youtube experts. These two obviously do not know how natural convection works. Try turning the heater on its side glowpin to the top and have the upper pipe into the top of the tank.

Last edited:
God save us from youtube experts. These two obviously do not know how natural convection works. Try turning the heater on its side glowpin to the top and have the upper pipe into the top of the tank.
Heater dont work on its side,i would use a very small pump would work well.

Hmm, wondering if I could splice one of these in to what I have now. Already have a Hydro5 that works with ignition to heat engine block and domestic hot water via my 22ltr calorifier. This may be a backup to both water and my D4 air heating. Depends what they work out at when they start shipping them I guess and how much buggeration would be involved with plumbing as don’t want to change calorifier to a twin system.

Next to none.....
We head off all year round so often have the eberspacher on nonstop ( I don't do cold)
And I've yet to be able to notice any appreciable increase in fuel consumption.....
Certainly couldn't be bothered (and smell) of a separate.... Let alone filling it up and spilling it inside the vehicle.
I have been on a site with mine running for around 3 weeks none stop... its used over a quarter of a tank of fuel...... when running it touring it goes from 25 mpg to 16 mpg, as summer 25, winter 16 ,it's a webasto.... but we are nice and warm.....dont have a house so it's used regularly.. I keep looking as I think it must be leaking fuel but no leak

Last edited:
LOL - he got quite a few people telling him that in the comments!
Does seem iffy design to have air in and out on the same side as water in and out.

Heater dont work on its side,i would use a very small pump would work well.

The standard air heater can be side mounted according to the installation instructions and I can see no reason why these wouldnt work on their side its only a water chamber on the bottom of what is a standard heater

The standard air heater can be side mounted according to the installation instructions and I can see no reason why these wouldnt work on their side its only a water chamber on the bottom of what is a standard heater

I think Trev was meaning the thermosyphon effect....
I suspect you'd be requiring a pump whichever way the heater was mounted....
There's not really a large enough body of water to get decent thermosyphon circulation.

I think Trev was meaning the thermosyphon effect....
I suspect you'd be requiring a pump whichever way the heater was mounted....
There's not really a large enough body of water to get decent thermosyphon circulation.

If that's what Trev meant i would have thought he would have said so when he responded to my answer.
You could always buy me one for me to prove it would work. ;);)

Hi folks. I realise that this thread has now moved into a parallel galaxy, but I thank you the information that I can understand, sadly now though I cannot afford to do the update due to other demands on our spare bit of brass. So my friends keep up your search for planet Zog, but Sue and I will have to cuddle up for yet another season.
Thanks again though
Peter

Last edited:
Hi folks, I realise that there have been many conversations regarding heating in our tin tents, so as a born again numpty, I'm jumping in with both feet. Our Carver is just about dead and I keep reading about these diesel powered thingies and folks extolling their virtues, so-----------------If I rip out the carver, are they fairly easy to fit and where does one place the plastic fuel tank?
Thanks
Peter
They are very easy to fit, tighten the 4 mounting bolts down even as it helps eliminate the noise. Try to get the inlet and exhaust pipes at 180 degrees with the exhaust to edge of body. Mine is underneath as most are, very bad fitting by builders in my opinion.
I fitted them years ago when I had trucks but our motorhome came with it fitted.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back