Diesel van heater

oppy

Hi folks, I realise that there have been many conversations regarding heating in our tin tents, so as a born again numpty, I'm jumping in with both feet. Our Carver is just about dead and I keep reading about these diesel powered thingies and folks extolling their virtues, so-----------------If I rip out the carver, are they fairly easy to fit and where does one place the plastic fuel tank?
Thanks
Peter

If you take a feed from main tank you'll be using road fuel to heat your van. If you fit the separate tank you can legally use cheaper red diesel for your heating. Fairly easy job to fit & not very big so plenty of options for siting it.

Sorry if you know this but...

If your van engine is diesel, taking a feed off the main tank would be preferable.
Heating oil is 48p a ltr,beter to place a second tank under van,mine is of main tank with a lift pipe 3/4 way down so not to empty your tank,i may change this soon as hard to get at burner and would rather use cheap fuel.

i'd rather have a working carver . silent , uses no battery . diesel heaters are noisy , some worse than others of course, and expensive and time consuming when they go wrong.
on my last van , when the 5kw webasto went wrong i did a quick fit of a carver . we liked it so much ,it heated the van just as much and as quick ,so we fixed the webby and flogged it

i'd rather have a working carver . silent , uses no battery . diesel heaters are noisy , some worse than others of course, and expensive and time consuming when they go wrong.
on my last van , when the 5kw webasto went wrong i did a quick fit of a carver . we liked it so much ,it heated the van just as much and as quick ,so we fixed the webby and flogged it
I have two of them gas type but no space to fit in van or it would have been my choice.

Hadn't considered the red diesel, but I do wonder how much money value it would save for the occasional user.

I reckon for occasional use it would be negligible. Think I read somewhere they use less than a litre a night so probably only save around 3 quid a week if used every night.

Hadn't considered the red diesel, but I do wonder how much money value it would save for the occasional user.

Next to none.....
We head off all year round so often have the eberspacher on nonstop ( I don't do cold)
And I've yet to be able to notice any appreciable increase in fuel consumption.....
Certainly couldn't be bothered (and smell) of a separate.... Let alone filling it up and spilling it inside the vehicle.

Sorry if you know this but...

If your van engine is diesel, taking a feed off the main tank would be preferable.
Steve, I didn't, nor am I able to do this type of job these days

These diesel heaters tend to be a wee bit power hungry to run and if you haven’t got solar or a large battery bank that can be a thing to think about.

Next to none.....
We head off all year round so often have the eberspacher on nonstop ( I don't do cold)
And I've yet to be able to notice any appreciable increase in fuel consumption.....
Certainly couldn't be bothered (and smell) of a separate.... Let alone filling it up and spilling it inside the vehicle.
You can get under tanks for the normal heaters,28 sec is the fuel to use.

Still pointless IMHO.....
Eber uses so little it's consumption is simply not worth factoring in.

You'd probably notice more of a difference from emptying all the useless crap out that we all tend to trundle round in.
Yes I agree with that, it does seem to sip fuel. I had seen posts on the net quoting up to 1 litre an hour but I have never seen anything anywhere close, it may be a litre or a bit more a night/day but not easy to judge when it’s the main fuel tank. Before I move this time I may almost have been stood two weeks and it’s been cold so been used a lot. Will see if I can get an idea of use.

We have one fitted to our van , simple to fit hardly uses any power once up and running ,uses a separate tank of red diesel , about A gallon every 3 days , and also very quiet

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back