Dead Van

Loretta

My Van is dead :mad1: Went to the storage place to check on it as it has been 3 weeks and wouldn't start.

Reckon is the battery but then again all the dash lights came on, but it wouldn't crank the starter motor and would just give me a beeb that I think was coming from the alarm.
Well!! Got me some jump leads and going to check again. Hope is only the Battery.

It'll be alright

This is most inconvenient. However It'll most likely be the flat battery which, if you can charge it, should be fine. If you jump it, have a run for 20 mins and you'll be back up. In the cold weather, any drain (e.g. alarm and central locking) will exacerbate the situation. If you store in daylight you could put in a dash solar panel and clip it to the chassis battery - This will keep it topped up. Worked for me.

Cheers

Greenid

I made up a lead to charge my car battery via the trailer/caravan socket. This way you can leave the car locked up and just plug in to the trailer connection.

Can do the same with a motorhome i would guess.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/41772-dead-van.html

hi there
I have the same setup and mine will only last 4 weeks to kill the battery to over come this I put a 4 watt solar panel just on the dash . pass cable though the bulkhead and clip on, this only works in warmer months ,, hope this helps
toystory

I have solar panel 40watts and it says that you could connect it via the lighter socket but it seams it was bull. Ho well, Got a set of jump leads, just going to try starting it and take it to my brother-in-law garage to change the battery. Then again if I buy him a couple of beers maybe he'll go to the storage place and change it there and at the same time ask him to connect the solar panel

We had the same problem with ours and had to use jump leads. Had a solar panel fitted and hoping that it will be ok now.

the 40 watts solar charger should have kept the battery well up to scratch, you do not mention the type of van, but the cigarette lighter is NOT LIVE ON ALL THE VANS, my ford was live, my now fiat ducato is NOT hence why perhaps the battery has gone flat.:mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1:

Totally agree with witzend on this one Jose, you must have a cigarette lighter which is permanently live, in other words, live even if your ignition is turned off, only then will you be able to charge your battery through the ciggie lighter.

Regards Rog.

the 40 watts solar charger should have kept the battery well up to scratch, you do not mention the type of van, but the cigarette lighter is NOT LIVE ON ALL THE VANS, my ford was live, my now fiat ducato is NOT hence why perhaps the battery has gone flat.:mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1::mad1:

Yap Its a Autotrail Apache on an Ducado chassis. So that might be the problem:confused::confused::idea:

Thanks guys. Would never think of that. I'll have it checked

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back