CU Torpoint -- best to avoid for now?

GeoffL

POI CU Torpoint (GPS 50.378711, -4.206395) is right next to a field that has been taken over by travellers (Cornwall Live article linked below). The group has refused to move to the dedicate site for travellers near Liskeard about fifteen miles away. Cornwall Council say they are to review their position on Monday (26 July 2021) but, as there are currently several unauthorised encampments in the county, I suspect they'll take action to evict and any motorhomes at the CU are likely to be cited.

Links:

Apparently a local transit site, built at great cost by the council, has been offered but the group have refused to go there. It seems that since it was built, it has only been used by one group of three people. Why build these sites if the Irish travellers refuse to use them? Why not build the same facilities for people like us to use? Its just so ridiculous, it beggars belief....

Apparently a local transit site, built at great cost by the council, has been offered but the group have refused to go there. It seems that since it was built, it has only been used by one group of three people. Why build these sites if the Irish travellers refuse to use them? Why not build the same facilities for people like us to use? Its just so ridiculous, it beggars belief....

We can't blame them really most of us hate sites
To be honest, I can't blame them either since the transit site is just across the road from the Lean Quarry mixed landfill site. Although the landfill site stopped accepting waste a few years ago and is now covered over, it's still not the nicest thing to have on your doorstep.

That said, and somewhat ironically, the field where they are camped is itself a historic landfill site -- and from a time when the disposal of toxic waste was much less regulated!

To be honest, I can't blame them either since the transit site is just across the road from the Lean Quarry mixed landfill site. Although the landfill site stopped accepting waste a few years ago and is now covered over, it's still not the nicest thing to have on your doorstep.

That said, and somewhat ironically, the field where they are camped is itself a historic landfill site -- and from a time when the disposal of toxic waste was much less regulated!

Well at least the likely left over detritus from their visit won't have too travel far to be disposed of.....
Unless the 'traveller' occupants are those of the rare type that actually don't leave a mess and treat their areas of stopover with respect (ring a bell with us ' wild campers')?

Just a quick update to say that the travellers have now gone and the field they were on doesn't look too bad. I have no idea whether they left of their own accord or were evicted nor whether the council had to clean up after them (hopefully not). At least, the welcome mat should be back out in Torpoint for wild campers...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back