Crossed the border.

Tim120

I'm not exactly on the ball with this track and trace app stuff. On my phone I have the NHS app which is world beating so I'm told, however it appears not to work in Scotland. It allows me to scan a QR code and log my presence at a venue in England. First time I was denied access in Scotland a very helpful young lady (P.C. person) helped me muddle through and register with my phones camera which I have subsequently used. Should I put on my phone the Scottish equivalent for the time I am here or just continue with the camera option?
Does Wales have their own version does anybody know?

It’s certainly very confusing. We found that the Scottish app did not work in England and even the English one didn’t when the Scottish one was on the phone. They may have improved things since, but certainly one app for all would have been better.

In the last Linux mag I read it done tests and found the apt useless, they did the own one for other countries which did work, uk did not take it up.

You would ideally install both and swap apps when you swap countries.

I have both installed and can use either one as I require it (as I am physically under 1 mile from the Border I have a good reason to want to have both available).
A problem with them co-existing might exist with some versions of Android or with Apple OS, but I have not had any problems myself with them.
While maybe it would be good to have 1 app for the UK, there isn't, but it is the action of moments to swap which of the two apps to make active and is no hassle.

Some Screenshots of the Apps...

Both Installed and in a "Covid" Folder
1623704611890.png

Open up the NHS Protect Scotland App ...
If not active, there are various steps listed on what to do. You may have to do these the first time you configure it (I can't recall for sure) but once it has worked before, you just click the "Turn on" button at the bottom of the screen
1623704669817.png

You get the warning message after you do that. Go ahead and click "Switch app"
1623704886845.png

And the NHS Scotland App is live (y)
1623704957441.png

Change to NHS Covid-19 (England) App .... Start App and you get the warning message that contract tracing is paused
1623705024693.png

Click "Turn back on" and you get the same warning message as before
1623705082556.png

As before, click on "Switch app" and you are running the NHS England App
1623705225166.png

That's it :)
(PS. If you check the clock top left, you can see the time incremented by a total of 2 minutes from loading the first app, activating it, switching to the 2nd app and activating that, AND taking screenshots of all the windows on the way :D )

weve been out bit in the last few weeks...without the ap weve been asked to write a name and phone number on a bit of paper. no confirmation of id, or phone no required. no time on the scrap of paper thats then stuffed in a wee box presumably along with all that days luddites. so i cant see track an trace actually being of much use.

The scheme is only any good if the people use it properly. A lot of people don't give a monkeys about anyone or anything but themselves these days. That is why any scheme was doomed to failure.

The scheme is only any good if the people use it properly. A lot of people don't give a monkeys about anyone or anything but themselves these days. That is why any scheme was doomed to failure.

I'd like to disagree with that.....
Unfortunately I can't.

As a Paramedic we were told last year not to load the app on our phones as we may inadvertently forget to disable it when at work and then we would get track & trace phone calls or app warnings that we had been near a COVID19 positive person and as they won’t tell you the date and time of proximity you can’t make an informed decision that we were in full PPE as it was at work! so hence I can only use the pen and paper recording that venues have 🙄

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back