Cowbar at staithes are trying to ban camping again

Well get used to it, the new criminal justice bill will effectively make wild camping a criminal offence in a lot of cases. I know a lot of people keep saying it won’t affect them but I think it probably will. Never mind, laws are there for breaking, hey ho :)
AFAICT, conditions for the offence are only satisfied if those wild camping do not leave as soon as practicable when ordered to do so by the land owner or a police officer; or having been previously so ordered, return within a certain period. There is also a requirement that "significant damage and/or distress" has or is likely to occur. The current draft of the bill can be downloaded at https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/44739/documents/1259 and the relevant section starts at the bottom of printed page 76.
So, those who currently take nothing but memories, leave nothing but tyre prints, and move when a land owners asks them to are not going to be affected. For that, there is a possibility that the ability to move people on without having to obtain a court order might make land owners and local authorities less inclined to spend money on height barriers -- allowing us to use car parks during the day even if overnighting is banned.

AFAICT, conditions for the offence are only satisfied if those wild camping do not leave as soon as practicable when ordered to do so by the land owner or a police officer; or having been previously so ordered, return within a certain period. There is also a requirement that "significant damage and/or distress" has or is likely to occur. The current draft of the bill can be downloaded at https://bills.parliament.uk/publications/44739/documents/1259 and the relevant section starts at the bottom of printed page 76.
So, those who currently take nothing but memories, leave nothing but tyre prints, and move when a land owners asks them to are not going to be affected. For that, there is a possibility that the ability to move people on without having to obtain a court order might make land owners and local authorities less inclined to spend money on height barriers -- allowing us to use car parks during the day even if overnighting is banned.

I've been saying that all along 👍

Must have been very controversial as my post has been removed

Must have been very controversial as my post has been removed
FWIW, on taking another look, I suspect that the first and last phrases in your post might be taken the wrong way. Unfortunately, your post lives on as a quote in my response and the system no longer allows me to edit my response to remove those phrases. So it'll be up to an admin to carry out that edit if required...

Article today on BBC northeast news regarding wildcamping etc at Cowbar.
The usual, motorhomes getting all the blame. Mind you going off the images shown I wouldn’t stopover there, loads of motorhomes and campers parked up nose to tail. There was also a large frame tent shown in the article.
Apparently roadside campers are on occasions rude, aggressive and often behave appallingly. A local resident was interviewed stating motorhomes dump their human waste, rubbish etc along the pathway. Also residents say people park up for days on end leaving their vehicles and spending the day in Staithes.
The article will probably be on again tonight for anyone in northeast England who wishes to watch it.

Article today on BBC northeast news regarding wildcamping etc at Cowbar.
The usual, motorhomes getting all the blame. Mind you going off the images shown I wouldn’t stopover there, loads of motorhomes and campers parked up nose to tail. There was also a large frame tent shown in the article.
Apparently roadside campers are on occasions rude, aggressive and often behave appallingly. A local resident was interviewed stating motorhomes dump their human waste, rubbish etc along the pathway. Also residents say people park up for days on end leaving their vehicles and spending the day in Staithes.
The article will probably be on again tonight for anyone in northeast England who wishes to watch it.
13mins into this clip:

One local resident hit the nail on the head IMO -- the council are trying to prevent people from parking for free and so they've modified the verge on the approach road so that people can't park there and have to use the main car park, with charges to be introduced; and the locals aren't happy that something they've enjoyed for years has been taken away. However, while I can understand issues with those in day vans, I still can't see why motorhomers with full facilities and space to store their own rubbish would even consider littering the environment or dumping 'human waste' next to where they're parked up...

As expected, one 'local' resident who opposed campers had an accent that was more Home Counties than Yorkshire. These refugees from the South cause trouble wherever they go.

A 'local' with a local accent was the one who disagreed with what the Council were doing re parking on the verges.

One local resident hit the nail on the head IMO -- the council are trying to prevent people from parking for free and so they've modified the verge on the approach road so that people can't park there and have to use the main car park, with charges to be introduced; and the locals aren't happy that something they've enjoyed for years has been taken away.

It'll pee off the local farmers, cause they hold ploughing competions in the adjacent field. Surfers and anglers won't be very happy either.

Whatever the right and wrongs we are likely not to stay in such places !
Too many others
Maybe aggro and a summons (which could be defeated)
Simply not comfortable (for us) and so nogo (well NoStay).
The same is for places like Mayfield (KelsoWe also stayed near Pontypool in what seemed good at 4pm.
Later several boy racer type care pulled up and we suspected drug dealing/consumption
Not problems but as i say "uncomfortable"
To be fair in now 9 years (-1 ..covid) of mainly wild camping we have had very few problems
Namur Citadel and Dinant and Boblingen come to mind
Some other places not that nice but Hey Ho

Never knew you could surf or fish in a field, will look into that.

You probably can't ( unless there's a lake with a wave machine in the field). But the surfers and anglers do like to watch the farmers ploughing.:)

As expected, one 'local' resident who opposed campers had an accent that was more Home Counties than Yorkshire. These refugees from the South cause trouble wherever they go.

A 'local' with a local accent was the one who disagreed with what the Council were doing re parking on the verges.
Just had the same report on look north.
Your right about the "local" being an incomer. Looking at the ploughed up verges, they won't need any parking orders....all parking has gone.

Just had the same report on look north.
Your right about the "local" being an incomer. Looking at the ploughed up verges, they won't need any parking orders....all parking has gone.
Just viewed that report.

I don't believe the claims about human waste and rubbish emanating from motorhomes and campers. From the emotive descriptions given it sounds like most were doing this which is ridiculous.

As you say the banked up verges are all that is needed to stop use; however the car park is small and local residents will also be affected.

There is a layby just off the main road which is perfectly feasible if visiting the village. It's just a bit further to walk.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back