Coronavirus political and media

mariesnowgoose

Things would be helped if some people set a better example!
Very sad, but not unexpected. Yes, under the circumstances she should definitely resign or, better still, be immediately sacked.
The latter would send out a better message.

Double standards are not new in politics, unfortunately.

One rule ... then another for the rest of us? Nothing new there then:(

Fisherman

Yes her position is untenable.
But it should be noted that she is not a politician.
But none the less who will listen to her now.
Each time she talks this will come back to haunt her.
What in gods name was she thinking off.

channa

I take it people are referring to the Scottish health minister ?

One or two already on the soapbox, but if a second home all council tax is paid I see it no different to a primary residence. I would imagine in a less populated area than the capital one which makes social distancing et easier

Fisherman

One or two already on the soapbox, but if a second home all council tax is paid I see it no different to a primary residence. I would imagine in a less populated area than the capital one which makes social distancing et easier
Andrew every day several times on our TV sets she tells us not to do what she has just done. Her position is untenable.

mariesnowgoose

But it goes bang against the government's instructions which were NOT to travel to your second or holiday homes, full stop.

And judging by the recent backlash from Scotland and places like Wales, Devon, Cornwall etc. it really is a stupid thing to do, especially given the high profile nature of this particular person. She's the health minister. No brainer. Just demonstrates how they think they are beyond the rule of law.

I don't see what is so difficult to understand about that instruction? Lockdown should mean lockdown for all, wherever practical. It does not mean swanning off to another part of the country just because you're lucky enough to own more than one residence.

But then a story like this conveniently distracts people from the real sh*t, both long and short term, going on all around us at every single level :(

channa

Andrew every day several times on our TV sets she tells us not to do what she has just done. Her position is untenable.
No it isn’t if you read what I have written ? Assuming my assumptions are correct

Fazerloz

Hardly a soap box. Its a case of do as I say not as I do.
What makes it worse is the government defending it.

An SNP Government spokesman replied: “Since this start of this epidemic, the CMO has been working seven days a week preparing Scotland’s response.

“She took the opportunity this weekend to check on a family home in Fife as she knows she will not be back again until the crisis is over.

“She stayed overnight before returning to Edinburgh. In line with guidance she stayed within her own household group and observed social distancing with anyone she was in passing in the village."

mariesnowgoose

Hardly a soap box. Its a case of do as I say not as I do.
What makes it worse is the government defending it.

An SNP Government spokesman replied: “Since this start of this epidemic, the CMO has been working seven days a week preparing Scotland’s response.

“She took the opportunity this weekend to check on a family home in Fife as she knows she will not be back again until the crisis is over.

“She stayed overnight before returning to Edinburgh. In line with guidance she stayed within her own household group and observed social distancing with anyone she was in passing in the village."
Aha, thanks for pointing that out, Faze (sic).

Just shows how the press love to sensationalise. BUT there again... wasn't she supposed to have been spotted going for a walk across a golf course with her family while she was there? What was she checking up on at the propety? That it was locked? The alarm system on? Plumbing wasn't leaking? Roof wasn't leaking? No food left rotting in the fridge?

I bet there's loads of people with second homes who daren't travel to 'check up on' their distant properties.

Sorry, the press may be cashing in on what makes a good story for them, but at the same time I don't entirely believe the health minister's excuse for why she travelled there in the first place either.

Jury's out for now :)

Fazerloz

Hung drawn and quartered for me. There are no excuses. Especially in her position.

Fisherman

No it isn’t if you read what I have written ? Assuming my assumptions are correct
Sorry Andrew but I don’t understand what you mean by no it isn’t.

This is Scotland’s health minister she is in the advert on tv put out by the Scottish government. In that add she tells us to stay at home and not go do what she has just gone and done. Also Andrew when you travel to rural communities were your second home is you are potentially putting very limited resources under even greater pressure. Her act was stupid, selfish, and completely contradictory to what she instructs us to do. She should go. I think she will be forced out soon.

channa

My point is Bill ,if she pays her council tax in Fife and perhaps even on the electoral register there. She is chipping in as much as other residents there. Assuming a less populated area one less family to social distance in Edinburgh and easier to achieve in Fife

I don’t honestly know asking the question for the purposes of debate. But perhaps another consideration my mp had a flat in London for obvious reasons, the second home in time spent was her local residence in Dewsbury wher she still worked with constituency workshops

So when I mention soap boxes do we know the real facts or trying her through media coverage which may not be accurate.

I’m neither defending nor prosecuting here but asking are we being told the full facts

Fisherman

My point is Bill ,if she pays her council tax in Fife and perhaps even on the electoral register there. She is chipping in as much as other residents there. Assuming a less populated area one less family to social distance in Edinburgh and easier to achieve in Fife

I don’t honestly know asking the question for the purposes of debate. But perhaps another consideration my mp had a flat in London for obvious reasons, the second home in time spent was her local residence in Dewsbury wher she still worked with constituency workshops

So when I mention soap boxes do we know the real facts or trying her through media coverage which may not be accurate.

I’m neither defending nor prosecuting here but asking are we being told the full facts

Police have issued a warning to Scotland's chief medical officer for visiting her second home in Fife during the coronavirus lockdown.
Dr Catherine Calderwood is facing mounting criticism after pictures of her family trip to Earlsferry were published in The Scottish Sun.
She apologised "unreservedly" and said she would continue to focus on her job.
The high-profile medic has been among those urging the public to stay at home to save lives and protect the NHS.
Some MSPs have said her position is "untenable" but the first minister said Dr Calderwood's advice and expertise were "invaluable" and she should stay in post.
■ Follow live updates on the coronavirus in Scotland
■ 'Stay at home' plea as Easter holiday looms
Chief Constable Iain Livingstone confirmed that local officers spoke to Dr Calderwood on Sunday.
He said they reiterated crucial advice and issued a warning about her future conduct, all of which she accepted.
"The legal instructions on not leaving your home without a reasonable excuse apply to everyone," he said.
"Social distancing is the key intervention to curtail the spread of coronavirus and it is essential the instructions are followed to protect each other, support key workers, take strain from the NHS, and save lives.
"Individuals must not make personal exemptions bespoke to their own circumstances."

Fisherman

Andrew at the risk of sounding arrogant, and I hope you don’t think I am being arrogant, there is nothing to debate. She is responsible for advising the Scottish government. The Scottish government have taken her advice part of which forbids you from going to any second home. She has ignored her own advice, and breeched the instructions given out by the Scottish government based on amongst other things her advice. A fair analogy would be a traffic cop being done for doing 50 in a 30 zone.

Debroos

It's not o.k to go elsewhere even if you have paid council tax on your second home. Chances are that a second homer will be coming from a city to a rural area therefore the chances of them introducing the virus to that area are high.

Those rural areas only have enough ICU capacity for their resident population not for holidaymakers.

They also buy food from small shops who are struggling to provide enough for their elderly residents (one parish council near me has agreed for the local village shop to only serve local residents as many of them have no means of travelling to the town)

I also heard from a trusted source (though admittedly not independently verified) that well over half of the people admitted to Cornwall's only hospital with covid are second homers.

Last edited:

Fisherman

She has been removed from all tv appearances.
But she is to retain her position as chief medical officer for Scotland.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)