Coronavirus now in the UK

Geeky Philip

Administrator
The first cases of Coronavirus have now been reported in the UK, Yorkshire to be exact. I have a bad feeling about this and if it is not controlled it could have a massive impact. My concern is that if a large amount of our population is infected and ill for a period of time it could cripple the country. There would be less food in the shops and the remaining food would go from panic buying. Hospitals, Doctors and emergency services would be overrun. It sounds like the plot for a film. I looked at face masks on Amazon yesterday and they have either shot up in price or are out of stock. I am not trying to scaremonger, but if a large number of people are all sick at the same time services and deliveries would suffer. Worth thinking about?
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

colinmd

In the UK we have suffered innumerable cycles of similar viruses, the headlines usually predict 'the end of civilisation as we know it', the actual results are a small spike in deaths. Remember the 2006 bird flu? Two years ago 15,000 people died of flu, just a few headlines in the papers.

delicagirl

catastrophising at its best........ dont some brits just love a good catastrophe..... Someone sent me a FB message today with an alleged bit of film from China in it - telling the "real story". i refused to send it on.... how the hell do i know where it came from.... Just now FB sent me a message that the film had been photoshopped and it was Fake News... well done FB - if indeed it was FB.... who knows what to believe any more... From now on i am only going to believe positive stuff.....

landoboguy

my company holds thousands of facemasks.....all gone within the last 7 days and people still trying to buy. Lots of suppliers have increased price tenfold and China have also banned all exports of them and disposable suits/coveralls amongst other things. After what imports are due that is already on the water there is nothing for possibly 3-6months by the time bans are lifted and full sailings start again . Lots of products are already being affected with the chinese government banning exports of many things and demanding the "scrubbing" of all export container ships, 30 sailings left guangdong in the last 7 days with UK drop offs completely dry, not just protective gear. I believe they are drawing up a list of prohibited items. Many importers are going to struggle soon.

Geeky Philip

Administrator
I am not talking about the mortality rate, that is not the point I am trying to make. The effect of large numbers of sick people unable to work, borders closing, imports and exports blocked will have a big impact on infrastructure.

Asterix

This virus is a great advertisement for the anti globalisation movement,I completely agree that it won't take much to screw up all the infrastructure and food could become scarce overnight as people panic buy. It should be remembered though that the black death was the best thing to happen to society since sliced with a sharp rock bread. Either way I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole thing.

delicagirl

excuse the pun... but this is really chinese whispers..... within hours the allegedly infected tourists returning home are to be confined for 2 weeks, then hours later, its a month's confinement, then its armed guards on their coaches..... its insanity and hysteria. IF we believe the chinese scientists, when they say folks dont know they have it until a few days after they have felt unwell - then there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop getting it. if the person who is infected does not know s/he is infected - then everyone who they come into contact will be infected. Frankly i just dont believe this.

Sharpie

Believe or disbelieve what you want. Meanwhile more educated people will hopefully try to contain this and develop vaccines. I lost my mother, and nearly my father, to something like this, contacted somehow on their travels which were far and wide, they both became desperately ill on the flight home and were ambulanced straight off the plane into the Newcastle RVI, then later the Freeman. This was three years ago. Which is I think where the two confirmed cases are being cared for at the moment. Dad kept in for two weeks then many months to make a full recovery. Upper respiratory failure, like the worst case of Flu that you could imagine, X10. Mum in for over a month, not really getting better so discharged herself and came home to die, which she did that same night. The RVI did all sorts of tests, every day, but couldn't figure it out, or at least they didn't tell us or the coroner. I lost my mother, before her time, to one of these viruses. She got a full page obituary in The...

Last edited:

Nabsim

When your time is up then that’s it. Doesn’t matter who you are or what age. Yes take sensible precautions along the way but no point worrying about stuff like this. Did enough of that growing up with scares of nuclear war and smallpox etc.

maingate

When your time is up then that’s it. Doesn’t matter who you are or what age. Yes take sensible precautions along the way but no point worrying about stuff like this. Did enough of that growing up with scares of nuclear war and smallpox etc. I have to agree. I also grew up under the Nuclear threat of Armageddon and then could have been killed by a Mohawk warrior. :oops: I got caught up in this. https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/remembering-oka-canadian-forces-vs-mohawks-over-a-golf-course-and-a-burial-ground--Z2ezv3-h0-DrWWiWzKC-A

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:277)

jerrycan, channa, Edina, maingate, colinmd, delicagirl, HurricaneSmith, Penny13, Fisherman, 2cv, caledonia, oppy, fiona68, R0B, Val54, Nabsim, helmit, mariesnowgoose, groyne, TeamRienza, harrow, saxonborg, QFour, Tonybvi, mofish, Minisorella, Clunegapyears, POI Admin, JVG, Monkeybrand, Sharpie, Clummzie, GinaRon, trevskoda, Asterix, Martin P, campervanannie, yorkslass, Allen, The laird, Wooie1958, Obanboy666, st3v3, mark61, ricc, witzend, Biggarmac, Farman, izwozral, Toffeecat, paulhelenwilko, andyjanet, NeilyG, mickymost, timatabsa, scampa, iampatman, vwalan, Wully, DnK, hmssnake, Robmac, barge1914, Geraldine, rugbyken, Fazerloz, wildebus, yorkieowl, Tezza33, londontavern, Debroos, Derekoak, peejay, barryd, Bigshug, smg, in h, Tbear, mjvw, antiquesam, n brown, runnach, ChrisInNotts, Haaamster, ScoTTyBEEE, alcam, jacquigem, John Thompson, blights, martinmartin, korky, maureenandtom, Chrisp955, mossypossy, tribute11, highlandron, Cass, Okta, Skiptonian, paul99, jagmanx, Benylin, Richo, Sharon the Cat, Victor, Telstar, SimonM, Liberty hall, trixie88, Rapido9, Ellendale, yorkscol, walpeter, dochog, newfpark, davef, eurodat, DrivingMsDaisy, roadroamer, aross, arkwright, owlcat, Flatcap, Greenwayjay, Jawbones, campingfun, Servo, Sid, bedonwheels, Robstopaz, Galaxy, REC, Johnnygm7lsi, dane, davidbr, jeffmossy, hextal, Conroy, tripper, spigot, brakers, Default0ptions, moonshadow, Andysm, Jean, Bobtaylor, Nidge, r4dent, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, joe, Hamishhymer, Jayg, Scotia, royh28, Tapfitter, doglover1, bartman, clarkpeacock, britcoms, gypo, Jeff G, daygoboy, Upfish, helen262, yorkshireCPLE, belbri, mikejay, stockcarman, grapework, MarkJ, COCKY, Carrerasax, SCRUMPY BOY, jimbad, reiverlad, Tookey, Old Man Down, Robina, noarlunga, elfish, TR5, sillysuzy, TheCoggins, Aly, kas, Maci, Benjamin, quilkin, Ron333, JohnnysJAX, pilsleyavondale, jennyp19, Subablu, 100 T280, Mark135, peter palance, pete99, Tractorboy, twink, myvanwy, Debs, marymary, Gerti58, Dezi, bjh, Isnbill, barlicker, DaveP, GeoffL, Caz, Jus, wildcampnewbie, 2020Dave, mid4did, 5andy, RoaminRog, NickVanBitz, Sugartits and H, molly 2, macker1, Mick H, number14, Homenaway, Skyeline, Johnnyfavorite, Dex, Greengrass, Taffs, ExRacingRat, Veloman, Harleyboygaz3, bilbo, Herman, painter01, Ted, lands43, Buzzard, grousebeater, StreetSleeper, tidewatcher, FisherFun, Redsky, brugge, Roverdave, landoboguy, Weels, WendyD, linkshouse, pondhoppers, mrs t, Budgie, Compo, BW99, jas900, Lee, Markd, shortcircuit, s4x4c, starfish, sparrks, Linda, Chip, ajb70, angehos, VandA, Larnie, TinTentDucato, bhullock, rugbyreddragon, vtwinner, wrp, alanp, Peter51, dylanbob, Greytop, Pirate, Harrers,