Corona- non essential worker

yorkieowl

My son is being forced into work in a non essential business (they make and supply kitchens), putting him, his pregnant partner, young daughter and both me and my hubby at risk, does anybody know where to report them, been told they'll get no wage if they don't go in.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Val54

Ouch, I sympathise with you. I suppose that until Boris shouts down the construction industry, his employers are going to argue that they supply a trade which is exempt at the moment. My cousin's daughter who works at a garden centre was sent home even though they were closed and had loads of work they could have done, but the employers said it was illegal for them to be working. I guess in the current situation it is a police matter but others may have more info.

GreggBear

Friend of mine has the same issue, his boss says they are working as normal. He fits shop fronts& roller shutters. His boss called everyone into work today, then had every man in the team sweeping the workshop floor all day while he watched them on CCTV. Mate reckons he wants them to walk out, as he won't have to pay them if they leave. Thing is my buddy has a lot of bills to pay so needs an income, but he darent see his 8 yr old daughter now in case he ends up with the virus. His job cannot be classed as essential work, how does he find out weather he should legally be at home or work?...

wildebus

I cannot find a link at the moment, but it was a statement by the chief medical bod (the bald bloke) that the approach being taken by the UK is based on a certain level of work carrying on, and not just in the 'key industries'. So if you cannot do your work from home, and it can be done at the normal premises bearing in mind all the recommended distancing being implemented, then my understanding from his statement (from yesterday or today) is it should be done. If it cannot be carried out keeping appropriate distances, then it should not be requested. There are plenty of responsible business owners who really do need to carry on but will ensure the right precuations are in place or not carry on. The same time there are a lot of crap employers, and not surprisingly they are staying as crap employers. Are these guys building the kitchens always at least 2 metres from the nearest person? Are the 'floor sweepers' a safe distance from each other and is the floor damped (I would think...

trevskoda

Moypark chicken workers here in ballymena walked out today because they stand close in production line,the boss told them they are essential workers but did not offer any protection type clothing or masks.

channa

West Yorkshire trading standards are normally in charge of licensed activities orbpossibly the health and safety executive

caledonia

My eldest son works for a demolition company and was laid off last week before the 80% thing was announced. He’s been to see his employer who’s not interested. Who should he get inform as he’s been to the dole who aren’t interested and is having trouble getting an appointment for citizens advise?

harrow

My son is being forced into work in a non essential business (they make and supply kitchens), putting him, his pregnant partner, young daughter and both me and my hubby at risk, does anybody know where to report them, been told they'll get no wage if they don't go in. Maybe put it on social media, anonymous, of course :)

harrow

My eldest son works for a demolition company and was laid off last week before the 80% thing was announced. He’s been to see his employer who’s not interested. Who should he get inform as he’s been to the dole who aren’t interested and is having trouble getting an appointment for citizens advise? well he will be able to sign on, you cannot apply online, but call Jobcentre Plus. Jobcentre Plus Telephone: 0800 055 6688

mariesnowgoose

Chaos and mayhem :confused: Apparently there have been thousands phoning the DWP, someone on the news earlier today said they were on hold for several hours, someone else that they were number 123,000 in the queue - seriously!!! Everybody should expect these services not to be able to cope with the sudden surge in demand. The systems aren't set up for it and, more importantly, there is insufficient manpower to deal with it. This is a mega emergency situation, the biggest of all our lives - unless you are one of the very few survivors left from world war 2 ! It will take time to sort out and many will face immediate and short term hardship, possibly long term hardship, through no fault of their own. It is truly awful. Be very interesting to see how many people's attitudes change towards so-called 'benefit scroungers' when all this is over. Nothing like walking a mile in another man's shoes to finally get the picture. 👿 PS. All the Jobcentres are now shut as part of the...

Last edited:

jagmanx

My son is being forced into work in a non essential business (they make and supply kitchens), putting him, his pregnant partner, young daughter and both me and my hubby at risk, does anybody know where to report them, been told they'll get no wage if they don't go in. Try the local Health and Safety Office/officer..And your MP And Local government officers Whilst they may not have the legal status it will put pressure on the business owner ! THe business could well be eligible for government support to pay wages and not expect people to work. This could be threatened by unacceptable working practice !

yorkieowl

Maybe put it on social media, anonymous, of course :) Yes that was my thoughts tbh, but don't want to risk causing trouble for him at work, things are tense enough as it is. Listening to the gov.uk then he is ok going to work even though not essential as long as they follow self distancing. They also have some high risk workers that are being made to go in, so I really feel for them. The majority of their orders are being cancelled, one arctic went out with roughly half a dozen carcasses, when it should have been full, so hopefully work will soon dry up completely. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Bouydog

Bill still has to go to work and this is what he has been instructed by his employer to carry in case he is stopped the letter is edited as it has a lot of work related addresses and employee numbers on it but you get the jist of it. I had one of those waiting for me this morning.

MOJO

My eldest son works for a demolition company and was laid off last week before the 80% thing was announced. He’s been to see his employer who’s not interested. Who should he get inform as he’s been to the dole who aren’t interested and is having trouble getting an appointment for citizens advise? JOB RETENTION SCHEME Can't work or have no work to do? The Government will subsidise 80% of your salary up to £2,500 a month - talk to your employer This is officially called the Coronavirus Job Retention scheme, and it allows employers to put staff who can't work on 'furlough' – ie, on hold - and the Government will cover their salary. Think of this like a job being put on standby. The idea is you go into sleeper mode during the crisis, and then when it’s over, they can instantly restart things and get the economy running again. It's up to your employer to decide and define who is furloughed. It could be because you've no work to do, but it can also be as you have to be home to look...

yorkshireCPLE

Was chatting to our sons last night. One works with trains. He ensures all safety features are working and that they are fit for service the following day etc. He had a call from the boss yesterday to say that one of the guys he was on shift with has been confirmed to have the virus and another lad has also gone into self isolation. He has spoken to the managers of the depot and explained that he shouldn't be in work due to living with his Gran who is high risk due to being on oxygen therapy 24/7 and she can't walk or do anything or herself due to her oxygen levels dropping dangerously low. But they have told him that he wont get paid if he's not in at work. He can't afford not to get any monies in and doesn't know what to do. He does take every safety precaution that he can to stay safe and tried to keep away from his gran as much as he can living in the same house. But he's very scared of fetching the virus hear and it killing her, plus there is his mum that is still hasn't been...

GreggBear

Don't think you're being selfish at all, if these guys are in high risk situations they should be covered. Plenty of people in less sensitive situations will be claiming. The 80% should be available to anyone at risk, not dependant on trade etc. No wonder this thing is still spreading, it needs sorting properly. Good luck to you all, hope you manage to stay lucky & get through this...👍

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:170)

Andysm, caledonia, Val54, campervanannie, channa, Bigshug, Jeff G, ChrisInNotts, kevlakes, 2cv, HurricaneSmith, maingate, GreggBear, Asterix, mid4did, harrow, wildebus, jeffmossy, Robmac, Geeky Philip, chairman, Wully, Fisherman, trevskoda, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, NeilyG, Tonybvi, Derekoak, helen262, Edina, stockcarman, runnach, mrwalsh1968, gid7, mistericeman, TeamRienza, landoboguy, flyby, phase3begins, Fazerloz, mark61, andyjanet, tidewatcher, R0B, 955itriple, st3v3, suneye, jimbohorlicks, johnnymac, jacquigem, trixie88, witzend, Lewisparker, mariesnowgoose, Tezza33, paulhelenwilko, tripper, bobj808, AdriaTwin, n brown, 1807truckman, yorkslass, grapework, Boots, fiona68, TJBi, mofish, GinaRon, barge1914, POI Admin, Martin P, petermotorhome, QFour, Rod, hmssnake, in h, highlandron, tobym, Toffeecat, colinmd, Goggles, izwozral, korky, 5andy, Minisorella, mikejay, stonedaddy, jagmanx, Alberto, clarkpeacock, Chip, Budgie, silverweed, Mikael, Steve C, gypo, dunfillin, antiqueman, Mobilvetta, iampatman, Victor, Mandoman, pamjon, Liberty hall, ironman, jeanette, mygrassisblue, CliveW, groyne, guerdeval, Tapfitter, Tim120, Bouydog, Adria home, toasty, Martingrant, lands43, delicagirl, Wissel, ian1950, lthoel2, MOJO, sherry, dalspa, r4dent, Harleyboygaz3, Larnie, zzr1400tim, ajb70, Harrers, justRoamin, Nowego, rugbyken, Chris356, Chrisb1701, alcam, kingfisher1, mike17, Herman, Monkeybrand, GWAYGWAY, Winger, mjvw, Nidge, Akl1973, Wooie1958, yorkshireCPLE, davep10000, twink, Obanboy666, Android, number14, hank, maureenandtom, Biggarmac, Weston, mossypossy, UFO, jas900, hextal, molly 2, sparrks, jann, Neckender, Carrerasax, charlie356, DavidRoberts, yorkscol, ozbit, Moonraker 2,