Cornwall

A warm welcome from Cornwall Gov. NOT
A few years ago Cornwall Council where raising their Carparking charges which didn't go down to well by the car park users. I emailed every councillor suggesting they allowed motor homes to over nite in some of their suitable carparks to raise some funds, Only 4 replied favourably A lot didn't reply at all but some did even suggesting that they had family paying a lot of money to run campsites and would never support my suggestion one had even seen a motor homer tipping a cassette into a storm drain in Fowey. So they will take advantage of the CV now to stop any unauthorised overnighting

Yes, it's such a shame. There are a few carparks you can overnight..Tintagel and maybe Fowey...
Tintagel is privately owned I can't comment on Fowey haven't been for 30 yrs. Cornwall Council now have a NPR camera car for parking offences justified the cost saying it'll pay for its self in a couple of years as it can ticket more cars than 3 foot patrols

Tintagel is privately owned I can't comment on Fowey haven't been for 30 yrs. Cornwall Council now have a NPR camera car for parking offences justified the cost saying it'll pay for its self in a couple of years as it can ticket more cars than 3 foot patrols
Yes I think Fowey is private too. Definitely no council ones and some car parks you can't even overnight when the motorhome is empty.
They must be one of the worst councils. I wonder if they know about other councils like the Devon one who owns Appledore etc and allow overnighting...
As you say, lots of vested interests...

Wild camping can cause problems with litter, sanitation, trespass and may create conflict with landowners and residents.

If ever a sentence summed up the pathetic attitude towards wild camping in this country of ours, then the above sentence would surely be it.

In the same memo we are told that what we do is dangerous, how patronising are these idiots.

And the really sad thing is they can print rubbish like this with no one there to reply to it. No one to ask why does Cornwall then not do something about providing some spaces, and some waste disposal. Doing this would be forward pro active thinking. The fact is we don’t spend enough money for them, and that’s really the crux of the matter.

Ok I am of now to some poor village to dump all of my litter, throw my cassette contents into a Bush, and upset the locals, whilst parked in a flood plane, cant wait to get out there and enjoy myself again. :)

Last trip to Cornwall we had to use campsites it was packed everywhere nice place, probably wont go again, wanted to say I had been to lands end.
I found lands end was very commercial and expensive to park and not that spectacular, I got wrong for trying to grab a quick selfy at the post by a security guard.
The spot was reserved for the official photographer.

Last edited:
Wild camping can cause problems with litter, sanitation, trespass and may create conflict with landowners and residents.

If ever a sentence summed up the pathetic attitude towards wild camping in this country of ours, then the above sentence would surely be it.

In the same memo we are told that what we do is dangerous, how patronising are these idiots.

And the really sad thing is they can print rubbish like this with no one there to reply to it. No one to ask why does Cornwall then not do something about providing some spaces, and some waste disposal. Doing this would be forward pro active thinking. The fact is we don’t spend enough money for them, and that’s really the crux of the matter.

Ok I am of now to some poor village to dump all of my litter, throw my cassette contents into a Bush, and upset the locals, whilst parked in a flood plane, cant wait to get out there and enjoy myself again. :)

There was a spate of communications with the council from members on here a couple of years ago when they started banning motorhomes from some carparks.
Rest assured that lack of communication due to covid is no problem at all!
Every one who wrote got exactly the same letter back saying there were plenty of campsites so no need to wildcamp. Never did they reply to the issues in the messages.
I replied to them several times pointing out that they were ignoring my questions and comments to no avail.
Cornwall used to be a lovely place to live but now not is the playground of the wealthy and the Cornish who are left really do want you to drop your money off at the bridge and sod off home!
If anyone is thinking of coming though don't do it July/August. It's hellish on the roads especially for motorhomes. And NEVER go to Lands End.

There was a spate of communications with the council from members on here a couple of years ago when they started banning motorhomes from some carparks.
Rest assured that lack of communication due to covid is no problem at all!
Every one who wrote got exactly the same letter back saying there were plenty of campsites so no need to wildcamp. Never did they reply to the issues in the messages.
I replied to them several times pointing out that they were ignoring my questions and comments to no avail.
Cornwall used to be a lovely place to live but now not is the playground of the wealthy and the Cornish who are left really do want you to drop your money off at the bridge and sod off home!
If anyone is thinking of coming though don't do it July/August. It's hellish on the roads especially for motorhomes. And NEVER go to Lands End.

You see Debroos there lies the rub.
Individuals have no power, no influence, and no say in what happens.
Individuals can be ignored, insulted, and patronised by councils.
Its only when individuals get together to form a union with a central goal that they are taken seriously. Councils like this get away with this because no one is there to stop them. I applaud everyone who wrote, but the sooner we get organised, the sooner we will be listened to.

Last trip to Cornwall we had to use campsites it was packed everywhere nice place, probably wont go again, wanted to say I had been to lands end.
I found lands end was very commercial and expensive to park and not that spectacular, I got wrong for trying to grab a quick selfy at the post by a security guard.
The spot was reserved for the official photographer.

My Aussie sister in law wanted to see Lands End [she is a real box ticker] and it had been 50 years since I'd been, I was shocked to see a barrier across the road and you had to pay to get through. I just turned around, just a pile of rock and lots of sea at the end of the day.

[
did Cornwall 60 years ago when I was a kid....... wont be going back .
will spend my money elsewhere.

Ok I get your drift but what happens if Dorset, Suffolk, Somerset, Cumbria, and most of England do what Cornwall is doing. What’s required is not us heading elsewhere because of what they have done. What’s required is for them to justify their ridiculous actions. And that won’t happen until things change. What we need are rights, and what’s required in the rest of the uk is something similar to the land reform act we have in Scotland, but giving us equal status to cars and other road vehicles. No one is asking Cornwall to build aires just deal with the issue in a reasonable balanced manner. Take down the biased signage and the barriers. Make provision for Motorhome owners who have paid all of their taxes and who are decent law abiding people.
They and others are getting away with this because we are law abiding, decent, and considerate. If we were as they portray us their parking bans would be ineffective.
Anyway I drove a car in Cornwall years ago, and that was bad enough. The thought of driving a 2.35m wide motorhome terrifies me. :)

the Cornish who are left really do want you to drop your money off at the bridge and sod off home!
There arn't many Cornish left and they arn't taking your money your giving it to the English who live here. To be classed as Cornish You and Both your parents have to have been born here

There arn't many Cornish left and they arn't taking your money your giving it to the English who live here. To be classed as Cornish You and Both your parents have to have been born here

Wonder how Cliff Richard must feel.
His dad was English, his mother Welsh, and he was born in India.

Also what happens if your grandparents were not born in Cornwall.
That would mean by that definition you would be Cornish but your parents would not.
Saint Piran has a lot to answer for :)

I found lands end was very commercial and expensive to park and not that spectacular, I got wrong for trying to grab a quick selfy at the post by a security guard. The spot was reserved for the official photographer.
Another example of The Cornish holding out the hands for money.
In 1987, Peter de Savary outbid the National Trust to purchase Land's End for almost £7 million
Another nice sounding Cornish name :LOL:
0_aardman-experience.jpg

Actually I have to take issue with that, having known a lot of Cornish folk.

You have to have been here at least since the 1800s!!
And the Padstow folk might even take issue with that.
Trouble is they have been fleeced by the English for hundreds of years so who can blame them for feeling resentful...

They are certainly in the minority in Cornwall though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back