Cornwall - Overnight car parking.

ehoughton7

Free Member
Hi, so i was thinking of travelling down over the coming weeks and was going to stay in the back of my car. I was just wondering how easy it is to find places that allow overnight stays (Cant really afford campsites), or how easy it would be just to find laybays or the such to stay in?

Your not even allowed to park a motorhome over night in a Cornwall Council car park let alone sleep in it and that includes a car with a 70£ fine .

and there's not many public toilets left either

Your not even allowed to park a motorhome over night in a Cornwall Council car park let alone sleep in it and that includes a car with a 70£ fine .

and there's not many public toilets left either
I’ll be honest I’d rather go to Kent Cornwall lost it’s lister for me as soon as the yuppies took over back in the day and it hasn’t improved.

Cornwalls a fantastic place. If you try to stay near the coast I think you might have problems. It's very busy and touristy. I'd travel inland every evening and park up late and avoid any tourist hotspots.

If you like going in the sea make sure you take a wetsuit. It's cold.

For motorhomes a nightmare (pun intended).
About the same for cars
On the plus side not a motorhome
But sleepinng in cars is sometimes penalised
The motorhome argument has been done to death . But if you were 'caught' sleeping in a car what do they charge you with ?

Regarding Cornwall . It appears you can pay and park in council car parks - we all know that . In the car parks in which one can pay and park a motorhome overnight - it seems the regime ( county council ) forbids anyone sleeping in the legally parking paid for motorhome. So is it OK to be in the Motorhome and awake overnight , is only sleeping banned or is occupying your own legally parked and paid for motorhome forbidden . Do you have to be awake , what if you doze off in the early hours . Does everyone in the motorhome have to be awake all night what If there is - say a baby, does the babe need to be wide awake ar all times .
The amount of total control that local authorities aspire to is unacceptable - but then Scotland and Wales are seeking Nationhood - so why not Cornwall or for that Kent, Kent if devolved - could flex its geographical muscle over its control of 90% of European Goods traffic and 100% control over illegal incoming rubber boat traffic.
Just let us Motor-homers sleep in peace in our vehicles, the Motorhome occupied or empty occupies the same space , why do officials delight in tormenting their fellow citizens so !.

Regarding Cornwall . It appears you can pay and park in council car parks - we all know that . In the car parks in which one can pay and park a motorhome overnight
You are not permitted to leave it there overnight motor homes are banned between 11.00 hrs till 08.00 hrs see the Council web site

Overnight sleeping​

Overnight sleeping is banned in all of our Council car parks. There is also an overnight parking ban (11pm - 8am) with a £70.00 fine for motorhomes in these car parks:

You are not permitted to leave it there overnight motor homes are banned between 11.00 hrs till 08.00 hrs see the Council web site
Not sure of technicalities but there are carparks in major hotspots where there is no mention of motorhomes .
As I said earlier , re sleeping in cars , what exactly are they going to charge you with ?

Not sure of technicalities but there are carparks in major hotspots where there is no mention of motorhomes .
As I said earlier , re sleeping in cars , what exactly are they going to charge you with ?
Not all Cornish carparks are Council owned see their list of carparks in link above to see if the ones your referring to are Council owned.
As for the cars the council says any vehicle converted to sleep in will be classed as a motorhome and get the £70 fine

A motorhome is defined as any vehicle constructed or adapted for use as a mobile place of sleeping. This ranges from a custom built motorhome to an estate car with a mattress in the back.
Also from the link

See the Visit Cornwall website for details of caravan parks, campsites and holiday parks suitable for motorhomes

Have you set off yet ...................................................................................

Not all Cornish carparks are Council owned see their list of carparks in link above to see if the ones your referring to are Council owned.
As for the cars the council says any vehicle converted to sleep in will be classed as a motorhome and get the £70 fine
Just curious about the legal side .
Has there been people prosecuted for this or is it just a meaningless deterrent ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back