Composting toilet

Bilw

Hi, has anyone out there got a composting toilet in their motorhome/ Camper. I would love to hear of anyone’s experiences and what make they used

I was going to go this route on our next build (but on hold now as we bought a Moho)

Great idea imho even if you don't go whe whole humanure route...
And use bio bags and into dog poo bins etc.

We have a compost toilet outside, at home, or more accurately, a dry toilet that we use when we are in the garden. If we didn’t already have a toilet in our motorhome, or I was doing a self build, I would install one. In it’s most basic form, it’s a bucket with a toilet seat and a compostable/ biodegradable liner. You use the toilet then cover the “product” with a sprinkling of sawdust. There’s no smell.
The only problem I can see is where to dispose of your full bags when on the road. We have a compost bin at home. The bags biodegrade and the waste can be used as fertiliser after a couple of years. We empty our toilet (replace the bag) about once a month or once every one to two weeks if we use it all the time.

@Debs has one but she built her own and it was a work of art , she would be the best to ask for opinions

Yep would never go back to our old loo, limited by how full it is and then the emptying 🤢 Definitely a good upgrade for us.

Yep would never go back to our old loo, limited by how full it is and then the emptying 🤢 Definitely a good upgrade for us.
Further info would be great and appreciated; self build/purchased, capacity, disposal, amount of chippings required etc

A couple had one on our lockdlen site. Had a tour, as you do. Really liked the look of it. Pee regularly emptied. They carried blocks of sawdust, but so compacted, they lasted ages.

When I saw the title - composting toilet - I thought really, how ?

When we were converting a barn in rural France into chez Dezi in 1989 an English friend living nearby had a composting toilet outside his place.
Having looked into it, literally, I decided to get the water connected toot sweet and fit a closed self empying cess pit.
In 25 something years it never needed empying.

Anyway I thought that thing is not going to fit in a motorhome, 36 ft RV or not.

So I looked up the "Natures Head" website to see what you are talking about.
Unfortunately I came over all faint when I saw the prices and got no further.

Dezi

Last edited:
When I saw the title - composting toilet - I thought really, how ?

When we were converting a barn in rural France into chez Dezi in 1989 an English friend living nearby had a composting toilet outside his place.
Having looked into it, literally, I decided to get the water connected toot sweet and fit a closed self empying cess pit.
In 25 something years it never needed empying.

Anyway I thought that thing is not going to fit in a motorhome, 36 ft RV or not.

So I looked up the "Natures Head" website to see what you are talking about.
Unfortunately I came over all faint when I saw the prices and got no further.

Dezi
Agreed, some prices are literally a joke considering the simplicity means a self build of a simple one is possible with reasonable DIY skills

Still running my composting loo, and would never dream of going back to the old cassette system, can't stand the smell of the elsan emptying point, and to be honest, it's too much faff. :poop::ROFLMAO:o_O(y)

Still running my composting loo, and would never dream of going back to the old cassette system, can't stand the smell of the elsan emptying point, and to be honest, it's too much faff. :poop::ROFLMAO:o_O(y)
Any negatives Debs? Sourcing and storing suitable amount of wood chip easy enough?

How often does it need emptying? and where do you dispose of it when not at home?

Any negatives Debs? Sourcing and storing suitable amount of wood chip easy enough?

Lots of folks use the pelleted wood kitty litter....
Moistened before using as a covering material.

This is a great Facebook page for info for those fluent in Facebook.

Further info would be great and appreciated; self build/purchased, capacity, disposal, amount of chippings required etc
Our loo is under a seat in our van. We have a kildwick separator which works really well. Cheaper versions are available but separating the liquid from the solid is a must for a smell free solution . The separated waste goes into a plastic box at the back for solids and another plastic container at the front for liquid. The back box is lined with two compostable bags, doubled just in case! and then we put in a scoop of 1/2 peat from a garden shop or peat substitute and 1/2 wood chips from a pet shop, not sawdust. The mixture needs to be ever so slightly damp but NOT wet, more not bone dry. We keep this under the seat in a container next to the toilet and fill up from a box in the back of the van. This last for ages, much longer than you think. Each time the back box is used you cover the poo with a scoop of the mixture. The urine needs to emptied regularly and can be emptied anywhere you would be happy to go for a pee, it is just urine so can be put straight into public sewers. The bag in the back can be put on a compost heap if you have a garden or tied up securely and put into a poo bin or bin with a lid just as you would dog waste or children's nappies. A large plastic cereal type box of peat/wood chip material lasts about a week for two of us. The pee pot has to be emptied at least every three days but it is easy to find somewhere to tip wee. I think the pee pot would smell if you didn't empty it regularly. Oh forgot about the fan, not sure if this is necessary but we have a little computer fan under the seat too just to move the air but I don't think it would smell without it. Hope this helps. Photos could be available! Clean ones!!

Our loo is under a seat in our van. We have a kildwick separator which works really well. Cheaper versions are available but separating the liquid from the solid is a must for a smell free solution . The separated waste goes into a plastic box at the back for solids and another plastic container at the front for liquid. The back box is lined with two compostable bags, doubled just in case! and then we put in a scoop of 1/2 peat from a garden shop or peat substitute and 1/2 wood chips from a pet shop, not sawdust. The mixture needs to be ever so slightly damp but NOT wet, more not bone dry. We keep this under the seat in a container next to the toilet and fill up from a box in the back of the van. This last for ages, much longer than you think. Each time the back box is used you cover the poo with a scoop of the mixture. The urine needs to emptied regularly and can be emptied anywhere you would be happy to go for a pee, it is just urine so can be put straight into public sewers. The bag in the back can be put on a compost heap if you have a garden or tied up securely and put into a poo bin or bin with a lid just as you would dog waste or children's nappies. A large plastic cereal type box of peat/wood chip material lasts about a week for two of us. The pee pot has to be emptied at least every three days but it is easy to find somewhere to tip wee. I think the pee pot would smell if you didn't empty it regularly. Oh forgot about the fan, not sure if this is necessary but we have a little computer fan under the seat too just to move the air but I don't think it would smell without it. Hope this helps. Photos could be available! Clean ones!!
Thank you for taking the time to write that and it is appreciated (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back