Cleaning metal parts

st3v3

My brother now has a vapour blasting machine. Larry's cab steps were looking a bit crap, so gave them a quick going over. Didn't spend ages, but looks a lot better :)

20220720_192051.jpg

Screenshot_20220724-153220_Gallery.jpg

20220724_152758.jpg

20220724_152803.jpg

Some other stuff he's done....

IMG-20220724-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220724-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220724-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220724-WA0005.jpg

He'll do stuff for beer money if anyone needs anything?

I’ve heard of this type of cleaning, looks really good. Do you know the machine spec?

I’ve heard of this type of cleaning, looks really good. Do you know the machine spec?

I've asked, but I think it's this:

The smaller one, with legs and the rinse thing.

Ok for small bits and bobs, try doing a set of garden gates or wheels, steel shot for big jobs, vapor or soda for small engine bits. (y)

Last edited:
My brother now has a vapour blasting machine. Larry's cab steps were looking a bit crap, so gave them a quick going over. Didn't spend ages, but looks a lot better :)

View attachment 110828
View attachment 110830

View attachment 110829

View attachment 110831

Some other stuff he's done....

View attachment 110832

View attachment 110833

View attachment 110834

View attachment 110835

He'll do stuff for beer money if anyone needs anything?
He could make a fortune from Transit owners....oh didn’t realise it is a cabinet type.

Last edited:
That’s on my shopping list. I have an industrial hot ultrasonic machine for pre cleaning prior to wet blasting. Just the £12k bill standing in the way.

No not really, I wonder if this a more sophisticated vapour dipping tank when I was on the tools. Which was basically heated up tricoethylene , or trike as we called it back then. I’ll do a Google search for more info Steve. Thanks for sharing. 🍻

No not really, I wonder if this a more sophisticated vapour dipping tank when I was on the tools. Which was basically heated up tricoethylene , or trike as we called it back then. I’ll do a Google search for more info Steve. Thanks for sharing. 🍻

This is you hold a nozzle that has an air supply and a water/glass bead mix. Push the pedal and point at the workpiece.

Ah ok, I have never heard of this being “vapour” blasting. Basically a sand/bead blaster. When using you should earth yourself, as static electricity jumps from machine to your body, normally glass window area onto your face, ouch!

Ah ok, I have never heard of this being “vapour” blasting. Basically a sand/bead blaster. When using you should earth yourself, as static electricity jumps from machine to your body, normally glass window area onto your face, ouch!

Static - will let him know.

I think the difference by adding the water is no dust 👍

I used both, one compressed air and sand, the other high pressure water with sand, with the latter the sand will always return to hopper, with the former used to boot around the hopper to have the sand returned to where it was sucked back up to the gun.

You should never use sand in a blaster.
Steel or j blast, there was a silicate free sand but must only be used outdoors and only once, j blast is what we used on outside jobs and steel in our cabinet.
blast b.png
blast pot.png
oil tank.jpg

Aircraft parts and inside skin fittings are lightly blasted with ground down hazel or coca nut shells, some stuff is blasted with ice.

Have always used glass bead for aircraft parts.
Some restoring of oldies use ground down shells for skin work, Balintini glass beeds to as you say, I had the contract for Martin Baker ejection seats based outside Crumlin in the old ww2 Langford lodge lockheed assembly plant. (y)

I’m calling it sand, as I can’t recall correct title, silica?
Called silica free sand, its the silica which kills you, we lost a council job in Carrickfergus cleaning the old harbor walls, a cheap chap got the job but when I found out he was using beach sand the health and safety were called and he was stopped and forced to use J blast, I have no idea who phoned the H & E. ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back