Christmas Day

martyndh

Anyone know of a pub serving Christmas Day Lunch which allows Motorhome to stay over.
Preferably village location within 100 miles Oxford?

We were on our own last Christmas Day so we took the MH upto Derbyshire. Took the dog for a walk and back to the MH for Cheese and Biscuits Etc. Then drove home mid afternoon and SWMBO did Christmas Dinner in the evening.

@martyndh are you a member of the largest club, namely the Caravan & Motorhome Club, if you are then I suggest you look through their sites guide book at the CL site listings. You will find there are quite a lot of them in Oxfordshire and closely surrounding counties, many of them are open all year and quite a few of them will be in or very nearly in villages that have gastro-pubs which will be serving food on Christmas Day.

It's worth a thought and worth a look

Gastro-Pubs are the worlds worst invention. Our local one was doing Lamb Shanks but with a difference instead of a very slow cook with lots of gravy etc. they had roasted them in the oven. To say they were like leather was an understatement. They also have no idea how to cook a steak and insist that chips are extra and come in a small metal plant pot that is half stuffed with greaseproof paper.

What is really amazing is that the Gastro-Pub chefs never seem to do well on Master Chef. One that springs to mind was the guy from the Fish Restaurant who had to fillet a fish. He had no idea where to start and admitted that everything came pre prepared.

Gastro-Pubs are the worlds worst invention.

I agree with you, they are also a name that appears to encourage a lot of them to charge stupid money for what can only be described as very inadequate food, however, like it or not, sadly it is a name that appears to have stuck and hence the reason for me using it in my post up above.

OK so in the C&MC sites guide, I suggest that any member goes onto their (normally dreadful) website and simply key in the name of the site that takes their fancy and read up the reviews where you will quite often find words that hint about a pub serving good food only a short walk away.

I agree, so-called “Gastro Pubs” use the title to charge silly money for what can only be described as normal pub fare.
Mind you, having said that, I wouldn’t mind eating at Tom Kerridge’s pub...or Heston’s!

Chips in a tin plant pot, wine in a jam jar, food served on a roof slate, bread rolls in a flat cap [I kid you not], prawn cocktail in a wine glass, just some servings we have come across.
But the one that gets my goat, is food presented like a flower arrangement set in the center of a large plate, the outside dusted with what appears to be dandruff or you get blobs of pimple puss or a drizzle of runny poo and to cap it all - it's friggin cold because Mr Ponsypants Chef has spent half an hour playing with my food.
Okay, food should be nicely presented but if the food is meant to be hot, serve it on a hot plate and definitely serve it with a minimum of flower arranging and definitely not half an hour after it has left the oven/pan skillet or whatever.

Bang on Sir Iz
First time the missus had food presented on a roof slate she sent it straight back, and as for the dog £$%^ smear that seems to be so popular......
Used to enjoy eating out but after being overcharged for crap on 9 times out of 10 would rather source my own ingredients and cook them simply.
And yes pet hate is cold plates

Chips in a tin plant pot, wine in a jam jar, food served on a roof slate, bread rolls in a flat cap [I kid you not], prawn cocktail in a wine glass, just some servings we have come across.
But the one that gets my goat, is food presented like a flower arrangement set in the center of a large plate, the outside dusted with what appears to be dandruff or you get blobs of pimple puss or a drizzle of runny poo and to cap it all - it's friggin cold because Mr Ponsypants Chef has spent half an hour playing with my food.
Okay, food should be nicely presented but if the food is meant to be hot, serve it on a hot plate and definitely serve it with a minimum of flower arranging and definitely not half an hour after it has left the oven/pan skillet or whatever.
That deserves a prize for the most humorous/yet serious post of the month.
Made me laugh, yet agree with everything said.

First thing I do when entering a pub for food is look at others already eating...if from slate/ wooden boards...I make quick exit. No way can they be cleaned to be free of bacteria.

Another word of caution, most places that do food in Christmas Day, regardless of what or where they are, will probably be fully booked by now. Yes, I know it's only October, but that's certainly the case around here.

You might find a good spot where you can park the camper, but getting a Christmas dinner served in the same locality? Good luck 😉

Have you considered cooking dinner for yourselves in the van instead?

Like everyone says, you very rarely get as good a meal out as you can cook for yourselves, even if it's in a camper van that might not have the full facilities of a domestic house kitchen! :)

Anyone know of a pub serving Christmas Day Lunch which allows Motorhome to stay over.
Preferably village location within 100 miles Oxford?
I know it’s a bit further north and you would need to become a full member
But we are holding a Christmas meet in Moffat 23-28 dec advertised on motorhomer.com
Bring your own food &drink
Andy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back