Chilly night tonight

When I was about 11yrs old we moved into a brand new council house at a market rate rent. There was only 8 houses built on a bit of spare ground in the heart of Harton Village, and we had a better class of neighbour with two master mariners, a postmaster, three shop owners and, the richest of us all, the miner. It had central heating in the form of a tiny radiator in the dining room and the main bedroom. My bedroom was supposed to be heated by the heat off the airing cupboard wall. It was all worked off the back boiler to the living room fire. Like you Marie the house had Crittal windows and was bloody freezing. It's strange that in the sixties even the relatively well off didn't consider it the norm to buy a house in the North East.

And another thing, very few homes had loft insulation, or in the walls, dont understand after the war when building started all this was not factored in to save money and resources as folk had little to spend.

When I was about 11yrs old we moved into a brand new council house at a market rate rent. There was only 8 houses built on a bit of spare ground in the heart of Harton Village, and we had a better class of neighbour with two master mariners, a postmaster, three shop owners and, the richest of us all, the miner. It had central heating in the form of a tiny radiator in the dining room and the main bedroom. My bedroom was supposed to be heated by the heat off the airing cupboard wall. It was all worked off the back boiler to the living room fire. Like you Marie the house had Crittal windows and was bloody freezing. It's strange that in the sixties even the relatively well off didn't consider it the norm to buy a house in the North East.
I've mentioned before on here. Re Crittlal windows.
London, the winter of 1963. Being able to peel a full sheet of ice from the window in one piece. No posh eiderdowns for me. Four or five army blankets. How I wasn't crushed under the weight, goodness only knows. I was almost 15 then, and weighed a massive 6 stone. I was told that, in a shower, I'd need to run around to get wet

I've mentioned before on here. Re Crittlal windows.
London, the winter of 1963. Being able to peel a full sheet of ice from the window in one piece. No posh eiderdowns for me. Four or five army blankets. How I wasn't crushed under the weight, goodness only knows. I was almost 15 then, and weighed a massive 6 stone. I was told that, in a shower, I'd need to run around to get wet
No eider just good old fashioned feathers, but underneath as well as above. Every so often they were taken out of the ticking, fluffed up and sewn back in.

Last edited:
There's something not right about having electricity surging through your bed while you're in it. I still stay away from the microwave when it's switched on having read about the bloke who baked his brain while looking through the door when it had a tiny crack in it. These new fangled gadgets should be treated with extreme caution.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back