CAMpRA…slow but steady progress

Mind you, from that link you kindly gave, it looks, as though it is supposed to replace the Caravan and Motorhome Club which in view of the CMC attitude to off grid parking would not be a bad thing if,
I think its another organisation setting up to advertise the Campra aires they don't appear to have much else to offer but if campra are successful they will have some to offer their members

I'm guessing like any other organisation, there may be good and bad. Our of the 2 big clubs, we use the C&MC easily the most and we have never had any issues: staff are always helpful polite and friendly.

We stayed at a non club site in Malmesbury on Saturday night and will never do that again. Pleasant owner but the place was run amuck with kids and dogs running all over the pace including through your designated area (no pitch marked out). Also excessive noise from 7.00am! Plus the site didn't have enough EHU outlets so the owner ran 40-50m cables all over the place to feed vans!

We normally stop at the C&MC site in nearby Cirencester and so wished we had done so again.

I'm guessing like any other organisation, there may be good and bad. Our of the 2 big clubs, we use the C&MC easily the most and we have never had any issues: staff are always helpful polite and friendly.

We stayed at a non club site in Malmesbury on Saturday night and will never do that again. Pleasant owner but the place was run amuck with kids and dogs running all over the pace including through your designated area (no pitch marked out). Also excessive noise from 7.00am! Plus the site didn't have enough EHU outlets so the owner ran 40-50m cables all over the place to feed vans!

We normally stop at the C&MC site in nearby Cirencester and so wished we had done so again.
Sorry but this has nothing to do with the sites or the staff. It’s an organisation that have “members”who own mohos and give them millions and enjoy wild camping. Not only do they do nothing for them, they don’t condone what we enjoy doing. I know members who were turned away from full sites and refused access to empty their cassettes and get fresh water. Also I have been to some excellent private sites.

Can only speak from experience of the sites and dealings with HO. No issues with either club. Have also stayed on many excellent private sites too.

This is exactly what’s required, large organisations with lots of carparks remaining empty at night being used for ours and their mutual benefit. We don’t need aires, what we need is forward positive pragmatic thinking, not what we have witnessed to often. Hopefully others will follow suit and we will get some momentum. Chemical waste and grey water would be good, but that’s not always what we need. What’s required most of the time is really simple. A physical place to park up in what currently are empty overnight carparks.
Well done national Trust, and we’ll done campra.
Totally agree apart from the bit where you say we don’t need aires. Both would be splendid.

Yes but that
Can only speak from experience of the sites and dealings with HO. No issues with either club. Have also stayed on many excellent private sites too.
Yes I agree, but that’s not what was being discussed.
They don’t condone wild camping.

It’s an uphill struggle but since starting in July last year CAMpRA has brought 87 new certified Aires and service points into being. With those in the pipeline we are on target for 100 in our first year. Can I express thanks to those on here who have joined and given their support.

Hopefully a corner has turned with more Councils taking a more positive approach to Mohos, government is now aware of us, and National organisations such as the British Parking Association and NCC are being supportive and discussions are taking place in some large heritage organisations and other bodies which for the moment must remain under wraps but which hopefully will in due course bear fruit.

There’s still a lot to do. Some Councils sadly are still going in the wrong direction, but Rome wasn’t won in a day.
Doing a great job!

h
Sorry but as the C&MC was being discussed in numerous posts on this thread I thought I'd chip in.
GMG nothing to apologise for.
The C&MC have good campsites, friendly staff, and I have never had a problem when trying to contact them. I reckon most would agree with that.
But they are anti wild camping, they reckon we should only go to camp sites, preferably theirs.

Sorry but as the C&MC was being discussed in numerous posts on this thread I thought I'd chip in.
When it went to CMC it went off topic the link I posted was to the
Motorcaravanners club a club linked with Camra and was I persume mistaken for CMC

Have Wales made similar efforts to attract the mobile£?
Au contraire. Please see my post #5. Powys are generally moho friendly, up to a point, and some efforts are being made around Snowdonia, but only as a reaction to last summer's invasion.

I have campaigned with camPra since the start and it is an uphill battle, certainly in Scotland. I worry also that despite the tremendous work the members have done and are still doing, it is only one aspect of the problems that motorhomers face from height barriers to the ancient laws that affect us. other than the new motorhome consumer association there seems to be no lobby group or 'go to' group to look after our interests. with over 400,000 motorhomes in the UK you would think we would have more influence

The Motor Caravanners' Club have been going since 1960 and don't operate like the big two clubs. They seem to work mainly on area by area rallies where it is possible to pretty much move from one rally to the next throughout the country throughout the year. The downside is it removes a lot of the sponsoneity. With sub groups like the bikers group i am a member of which has worked out well for me over the past few years. Camping usually between £7 and £14 depending on site and facilities. eg Hendra Newquay £12.50inc ehu, Blue Anchor £8 Minehead etc, etc .These prices are only when a rally is on. Far better than some council car park at £10 overnight and more secure.
Unfortunately England and particularly Wales are nothing like as accommodating as Scotland so especially now a different way of doing things has had to be found. The membership fee has been well worth it for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back