Campervan deliberately set alight by local.

Are arsonists normally released on bail? :unsure:

There are lots of crimes where people are released on bail.
I suppose they make some kind of assessment as to whether the accused is likely to go straight out and commit the same or a similar offence.

This could be down as attempted murder? Depends whether the van was occupied at the time. Not enough info yet.

Stuff like this happens all over. Sign of the times post-Covid lockdowns, general state of affairs, etc.
Increasingly dysfunctional society and a rise in the number of mentally disturbed individuals?

Arson with intent can either be with intent to endanger life/being reckless as to whether life is engangered, or with intent to damage property - thanks to the usual abysmal reporting standards these days we don't know which.
As bail was granted I would expect that he/she was arrested on suspicion of the second less serious option, although we don't know whether he/she was actually charged. It may be that bail was granted pending a decision as to whether to charge, in which case it would be police bail rather than the court.

We live near Plymouth, and our usual trips to both Cornwall & on to the MOORS have been abandonded.
There were people in Cornwall on the main roads holding placards up for motorhomers saying “Idiots go home”
One of local mechanics has a pal in Newquay and told him to take his van out just to give it a test run and he got
shouted at & he lives there!
We used to drive up on to Dartmoor have a walk and we would be mostly the only ones there, now because of the damage from litter & fires we are not allowed to stay overnight.
We had one trip to Scotland & back in 2019 with our new van, did about 1200 miles been , 150 miles x twice for
Warranty checks and after 3 years our total mileage is 2127. Our insurance ( lv) said we note you said 6000 a year,
I said “ that was then not now so they knocked £30 off premium.
It is a shame if a lot of new motorhome owners who don’t join clubs etc & don’t learn how to camp in a way
which fits in with local rules spoil life for those of us doing it for many years .
Hope we can all get back to as near normal as the weather & inflation allow.
Good touring folks.

Arson with intent can either be with intent to endanger life/being reckless as to whether life is engangered, or with intent to damage property - thanks to the usual abysmal reporting standards these days we don't know which.
As bail was granted I would expect that he/she was arrested on suspicion of the second less serious option, although we don't know whether he/she was actually charged. It may be that bail was granted pending a decision as to whether to charge, in which case it would be police bail rather than the court.

I agree much of this is down to the biased lazy reporting from all sections of the media. How often do we read of poor behaviour from us when the blame for most of what goes on has nothing to do with us. Our biggest crimes are over populating the honey pots, and having the income and the freedom to do what we do. Envy is a terrible thing, and in these times of financial decline, I can only see it getting much worse.

I agree much of this is down to the biased lazy reporting from all sections of the media. How often do we read of poor behaviour from us when the blame for most of what goes on has nothing to do with us. Our biggest crimes are over populating the honey pots, and having the income and the freedom to do what we do. Envy is a terrible thing, and in these times of financial decline, I can only see it getting much worse.
Agreed, the UK has never been motorhome friendly and in recent times with the growth of unscrupulous companies hiring out vans to people who have had little or no instruction or abuse the countryside, it's difficult to see it getting any better in the near future. As you say, envy has a lot to do with it, but there is a minority of owners and hirers whose behaviour tars us all with the same brush

Must say I have never had any problems anywhere I have been and it’s very rare I am on a site or meet. You get arseholes everywhere though and even other parts of the world.

Just jump in the van and get some use out of it, life’s too short 👍

Must say I have never had any problems anywhere I have been and it’s very rare I am on a site or meet. You get arseholes everywhere though and even other parts of the world.

Just jump in the van and get some use out of it, life’s too short 👍
Spot on (y)

I wonder what the full story is here. If its where I think it is in Newquay we were there a month or so back and there was a big line of what looked like full timer self builds parked along the roadside where this happened out towards the point. They looked like they were there for the summer. I think they were defying no overnighting rules. If it's the same place and same vans I'm surprised they havent all gone up as they were packed in bumper to bumper.

Having lost a vehicle to fire I hope the owners get better treatment than I did from the insurers, they effectively made the assumption that I had started the fire to claim for the car and basically left it to me to prove otherwise, even though I was out of the country and the BBC covered the fire which took out half of an industrial estate, and took 4 hours to get to our premises.

I had to supply my bank statements, phone records, emails, business accounts etc.

In the end having supplied the BBC footage, Police report and Fire Officers reports I still had to get a solicitor involved.

I wouldn’t want him allowed bail, he shouldn’t be allowed out of intensive care if caught by the owner

They wouldn`t need to deviate to intensive care if i caught someone attempting that to ours, just take them straight to the mortuary.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back