Cameron McNeish on inverters and his E bike

Our 3000W inverter is connected to three household style plug sockets, already in place when we purchased MH. EBike charged same Cammy, while on the go. Cammy needs to look at Jackery, we have been charging both bike batts via Jackery, then recharge Jackery via solar, if stationary, or like today, Jackery on charge via MH engine. Great bit of kit is the Jackery.

Perfect timing. Will be doing much the same.
Shame, looks like Bosch used to do a 12V charger for their bike batteries, but haven't found out much about it and most info out there is 2015ish.
Anyway, got until Oct to sort it out.
Cheers for posting.

Watched the first 4mins and gave up, I wonder if he knows his arse from his elbow, as he clearly know f all about charging from a invertor.
I've been happily charging our Bosch ebike batteries from a cheap Aldi invertor for years, and having a 650Wh battery doesn't have any bearing on the size of invertor needed, it's all about how much the charger draws, not the capacity of the battery, in our case roughly 100w, in his case with the 650 battery he might have the larger charger which could draw up to 150w (but I've not tested that).

Our 3000W inverter is connected to three household style plug sockets, already in place when we purchased MH. EBike charged same Cammy, while on the go. Cammy needs to look at Jackery, we have been charging both bike batts via Jackery, then recharge Jackery via solar, if stationary, or like today, Jackery on charge via MH engine. Great bit of kit is the Jackery.
When I set up ours Bosch had stopped selling 12v charger, but couple of years back a 3rd party manufacturer was selling 12v charger for Bosch, not sure if they still do.

Ring RINVC150 Compact Can Inverter, Single Socket https://amzn.eu/d/4zBfl5H
Obviously limited but I have used it.
1 to power a laptop
2 to recharge a shaver
3 to break an electric toothbrush..Aaargh
However I only paid £20 for it 10 years ago and it still works.
I use it mainly off alternator but also off Leisure batteries/solar taking care that it is sunny.
Given the previous posts it MIGHT recharge an ebike

Unfortunately there is this fixation about pure sine wave inverters being the bees knees I have used modified sine for years to charge the ebike battery with no problems and phones, laptops run tv etc however I do believe electic tooth brushes not keen on modified sine but I manage with the manual version.

The inductive chargers for electric toothbrushes don't like modified sine wave invertors, that's when you do need a pure sine wave.
Yes thanks ..I know
New Toothbrush now charges off USB

No way all my devices charge off USB.
I love cables/wires.
Except when moving photos from my camera to tablet (wifi)

He has struggled a bit with that video and made the incorrect assumption the batteries capacity equates to the load on the inverter which I have mentioned in the comments.

I wonder if the bikes manglefacturer makes a 12v trickle charger i.e. preferably one that isn't drawing 20-25A because I think that would be a far better idea when off grid charging, then maybe his solar panel might be able to match it!
@shortcircuit in some cases it really does not matter if the inverters pure or modified sine wave, it for example makes virtually no difference with any form of resistive load, lights, kettles, toasters etc.

However as soon as you use an inductive load e.g anything with a motor or in my case the compressor in my fridge then the inherent inefficiencies of modified sine wave becomes apparent specifically in a noticeably higher current draw from the batteries.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back