Cadac cleaning?

Clunegapyears

OK, so I keep reading about how people love using their Cadac Safari Grills. We have one. We’ve had it for years. But much prefer the Webber kettle barbecue with real charcoal. The main reason being - the cleaning. Are we doing something wrong with our Cadac that it is a nightmare to get the fat and grease off the different cooking layers when we barbecue? With the Webber, we just use the stiff brush and chuck it back in the garage. Essentially self cleaning.
We are currently in Corsica and all the campsites have communal barbecues and you’re not allowed to barbecue on your own pitch. Not something we want to do, so actually wondering if we have brought the Cadac with us and put up with the messy and greasy cleaning.

Yes can be a pain

No 1 take care when cooking lots of oil.
No 2 use a spray of water and washing up liquid as soon as cooking is done.
Then leave it work while you eat.

Ps wr mainly use the flat side.
Never bother with the open grill.

Those mats are really good. I have one in the bottom of the Motorhome oven. As it’s non stick you can just wipe the bottom of the oven out if anything spills. To stop it getting to near the flame I folded the front over and tucked it into the gap between the bottom and the casing.

I've just bought 5 mats the lower link mainly for our oven.

We use a portable Weber and as I understand it the principle is that the juices should drip down to the tin which is over the charcoal so that the juices evaporate off rather than vapourise and ignite. Whether using a mat will enhance this or spoil it theres only one way to find out. I have a double metal scrubber I use for our grill part and with some soapy water, and a little scrubbing it's pretty easy to clean but then its not very big either as the grill is about the size of two shoe boxes. Great barbie though.

B2

OK, so I keep reading about how people love using their Cadac Safari Grills. We have one. We’ve had it for years. But much prefer the Webber kettle barbecue with real charcoal. The main reason being - the cleaning. Are we doing something wrong with our Cadac that it is a nightmare to get the fat and grease off the different cooking layers when we barbecue? With the Webber, we just use the stiff brush and chuck it back in the garage. Essentially self cleaning.
We are currently in Corsica and all the campsites have communal barbecues and you’re not allowed to barbecue on your own pitch. Not something we want to do, so actually wondering if we have brought the Cadac with us and put up with the messy and greasy cleaning.

I know exactly what you mean. The Cadac is a fantastic piece of kit, we use it all the time on holiday, but it was a pain to clean.

I bought a degreaser liquid used in the catering industry, and find it is much easier cleaning the Cadac when I spray it with that.

I clean mine with a wire BBQ brush first then wash in soapy water, I find it cleans easily enough but it can be messy and disposing of the greasy water after is a pain, I do like to cook on it though

I clean mine with a wire BBQ brush first then wash in soapy water, I find it cleans easily enough but it can be messy and disposing of the greasy water after is a pain, I do like to cook on it though

I take it the non stick coating has gone then Tel lol

I have never had a problem with my Cadac or any of my other barbecues, be they charcoal, gas or cobble stones (for the Cobb). The secret is either immediately after cooking (although I prefer to relax and have a few glasses of the red stuff with my meal) or later on, heat the BBQ up again until really really hot then simply use a wire brush on it. It must be very hot though. All the fat, grease and food debris simply brushes off. When cold just knock out all the debris.
Enjoy your travels.

Tony

Did wonder that myself, so after owning one for 6 years and only used it once.:), may try some of these tips

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back