Burnt saucepan - help needed

delicagirl

Hello all - i have some Stellar saucepans which are stainless steel and REALLY thick bottoms..... i left one on accidentally when out yesterday and i came back to an utterly black hardened mess inside the pan. in the past i have done this once or twice and have simply soaked it in water and used a non-steel pan scrub over a few days and it came off. But this time it seems to be irremovable...... i have had them 30 years but they still look as good as new and are the best kitchen equipment i ever bought.

any ideas from our culinary experts please ? thank you

Put water in the pan put on heat as it warms up gently scrape with a wooden spoon
Alternatavly
Scrub with a non-abrasive sponge to remove the stains. - If you don't have Barkeeper's Friend: Fill the bottom of the pan with water, then add 1 cup of vinegar and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda as suggested by Yorkieowl

Alf

Hello all - i have some Stellar saucepans which are stainless steel and REALLY thick bottoms..... i left one on accidentally when out yesterday and i came back to an utterly black hardened mess inside the pan. in the past i have done this once or twice and have simply soaked it in water and used a non-steel pan scrub over a few days and it came off. But this time it seems to be irremovable...... i have had them 30 years but they still look as good as new and are the best kitchen equipment i ever bought.

Leave it to soak for a couple of days and if is still no good the off to the charity shop and get a new one.

It could have been alot worse you could have burnt the house down.

:idea::idea::idea:

I just use a scraper ... stainless steel therefore I assume it doesn't have a non-stick coating

Wire brush on a electric drill gone in minutes,Any deep scores polish out with fine wire wool

sounds a bit excessive !!! i dont love it that much...... lol !!

being an idle layabout the various "soaking " options sound like my first port of call... !!!

Burnt saucepan

Did you go out or were you get distracted by a DVD, be honest :rolleyes:
Put some washing powder in pan half fill with hot water leave for couple of hours, then normal wash works a treat

If you decide to use a scraper or a drill powered wire brush, they must be made from stainless steel or you'll introduce iron molecules into the surface & the base might start to rust!

So I recommend the washing powder or vinegar & baking soda methods already mentioned.

Happy christmas, Phill

Baking Soda(bi carb) is probably your best bet, check the base of pan for distortions, last time gf did this the stainless 'bubbled' where the ali core had expanded.

Put some washing powder in pan half fill with hot water leave for couple of hours, then normal wash works a treat

I would suggest this and maybe boil up and leave to soak with washing powder

Baking soda ideas normally work, Never heard Hairydogs solution before but seems viable to me

Alas don't chuck the pan out, fashion a little trivet for the bottom and a lid that fits, pop in a couple of split teabags and you have tea smoked trout and salmon beckoning ...

Silver lining to every cloud and all that (allegedly )

Channa

You had my attention at the "REALLY thick bottoms" bit. :p

Another vote for dishwasher tablet method.

I'm with Hairydog hot water and a dishwasher tablet if it's really bad leave it overnight to soak and the a nylon pan brush should remove the burnt material.
It's always worked for me.
Good luck.

If you decide to use a scraper or a drill powered wire brush, they must be made from stainless steel or you'll introduce iron molecules into the surface & the base might start to rust!

So I recommend the washing powder or vinegar & baking soda methods already mentioned.

Happy christmas, Phill

Please don't use stainless steel on stainless steel you can weld it together, as from past experience stainless can cold weld.

Another vote for baking soda and vinegar. Just cleaned my glass oven door this morning with it. Granted it wasn't baked on gunge, but I had it clean in no time.

What's a saucepan?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back