BT FON network mobile WIFI

Shockingdog

Free Member
Our home broadband is now supplied by BT. I note they are offering the BT FON mobile network that can be used for Mobil WIFI on the go. Have any forum members used it in their campers, in the UK and in Europe. Any comments appreciated.Thanks

Our home broadband is now supplied by BT. I note they are offering the BT FON mobile network that can be used for Mobil WIFI on the go. Have any forum members used it in their campers, in the UK and in Europe. Any comments appreciated.Thanks
I am not aware of a BT FON mobile network. There are BT FON hotspots all over the UK and Fon hotspots in other countries (most notably Europe) provided through Fon's partners in those countries. See https://fon.com/maps/ (and move the map and/or zoom out to see the worldwide offer).

Its done by piggybacking on peoples broadband so you will have a much better chance in urban areas :)

Have had a Fonera router for several years, by having one it gives me similar to having BT FON, when my internet played up t'other week I logged in to next doors BT connection, but speeds are limited.

I,ve got a fon box which I paid for years ago_Once registered you can use your email and password to log on to fon hotspots home and abroad.I found it a bit iffy in France and non existant in spain.As @Fisherman said it's had it's day as mobile data is readily available.

Have had a Fonera router for several years, by having one it gives me similar to having BT FON, when my internet played up t'other week I logged in to next doors BT connection, but speeds are limited.
I,ve got a fon box which I paid for years ago_Once registered you can use your email and password to log on to fon hotspots home and abroad.I found it a bit iffy in France and non existant in spain.As @Fisherman said it's had it's day as mobile data is readily available.
I also have a Fonera router, I have used Fon for a lot of years in France/Germany and the UK and it is worth for you if you are a BT customer, it is free after all so you have nothing to lose, my MIL's next door neighbour is with BT so for the last four years I have been able to get online there, I now have unlimited WiFi with 3 so no longer needed but it is still useful as a back up especially in Europe to cut down on the 4G used

I have BT at home and it's fine although expensive!
When away I don't live on the phone...it's pay as you go anyway. (and I'm a Yorkshireman).
If needed I can access internet via BT Fon using the iPad ....just park up on a housing estate or even a village. If no signal move further down the street....it usually works.
Most pubs have internet access anyway.

Yes, used to use it all the time in France before i got the unlimited package with Three on my phone which i now just tether to.

The one you need to connect to in France is SFR Wi-Fi Fon then log in with your usual log in BT details.

Yes same as as Wooie1958 above I use it all the time both in the UK and in France via SFR. I used it all summer up on Flamborough head but for it to be effective in the van you need a wifi booster like the iBoost. On the farm we were staying on I had mine pointed at the farmhouse about four hundred yards across the fields and thus we had unlimited wifi all summer. Its not as important these days I guess with mobile data being so cheap so I generally try to find a BT Fon or SFR hotspot with the iboost first and if that doesnt work I just turn on the hotspot on my phone. I only get 18gb of data a month with Vodafone though so for streaming etc wifi is better if possible.

Same as last 2 posts,
Log out of bt when going to Europe and log back on when you get there seems to work better,
We now have unlimited use on Vodafone.... works well

Used it for many years but found that free wifi is getting more available in Europe anyway. Daughter has BT broadband so use her logon details. Found many supermarkets, DIY shops, restaurants , shopping centres etc have have free wifi, often you have to sign up to receive emails so before you go travelling set up a email account for this. Its easy enough to set up a gmail account & have a simple email address just for this. Found using your van reg number handy as not likely anybody else will be using it unless its a private plate, also a simple password so you can sign up for free wifi. Sure we had a thread a few years ago where people listed where wifi was available.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back