Blowing exhaust

Fazerloz

On Friday afternoon my exhaust decided to blow a hole in the silencer about as big as a beer mat whilst on the way to Aberystwyth. Nobody there was in the least bit interested in trying to help in any way. We ended up ringing Crossing garage in Llandrindod Wells. 40 mls away who said they would look at it. We got there at 4 PM and were immediately put on the lift. They went on the ring round and managed to get one delivered Sat morning. They were not due to be opening on Sat but one of them came in purely to fit the silencer. Can't thank or recommend them enough. Great service. If I was local I would certainly use them. They also do car, van, bike, mots.

Glad you got a result.
Just thought of the times i'd patched up a fault like that with a coke can and wire ,previous life of an AA patrol on the M4.

Glad you got a result.
Just thought of the times i'd patched up a fault like that with a coke can and wire ,previous life of an AA patrol on the M4.

Should have been a baked bean tin. What happened to the Gum Gum paste to seal it in place before putting the wire on. My dad used to spend hours lying under his Lanchester fixing the exhaust. Think he got to a point where there was more baked bean tins than steel and it had to be replaced. He managed to get the foreman in the workshop to make him one out of stainless. Remember him taking the engine out and having it all laid out on my bedroom floor while bits were made for it by the workshop. Good job he worked as a design draftsman for an engineering company.

Last edited:
Ha ha I well remember patching with tins and wire,gum gum or fire putty. Well that is unless it made the vehicle sound sporty then I left it for a bit lol.

wasnt that funny when 4 into 1 snapped just as it went into 1 on my XS1100 just into two weeks in France. Luckily I had ear plugs and persevered till I got back to the UK as I coukdnt afford a new one till the next pay day. If memory serves it was knocking on four hundred pound back in 1990 though

Been there and done all that many times but in the end it always ends up with a new one at some point.

I had an exhaust problem a few years ago and needed a complete new one, well not at that exact time but the whole thing was looking pretty iffy, so I decided on a new Stainless Steel one , cost a bit more than an original but hey ho trouble free I thought, So I had it made, the new exhaust was different than an off the shelf one in that it had one less box on it, it was fitted and sounds great, I was told that it would improve the performance of the van too, well I did not believe that but as it turned out it has, it has gone through 4 MOTs since and no problems there so well pleased.

Ha ha I well remember patching with tins and wire,gum gum or fire putty. Well that is unless it made the vehicle sound sporty then I left it for a bit lol.

wasnt that funny when 4 into 1 snapped just as it went into 1 on my XS1100 just into two weeks in France. Luckily I had ear plugs and persevered till I got back to the UK as I coukdnt afford a new one till the next pay day. If memory serves it was knocking on four hundred pound back in 1990 though
Loud pipes saves lives, my favourite exhaust of all time was a second hand four into one big bore yoshi which I put on a gixer slabbie,l played it like a stradisvarius on the roads, beautiful.

Loud pipes saves lives, my favourite exhaust of all time was a second hand four into one big bore yoshi which I put on a gixer slabbie,l played it like a stradisvarius on the roads, beautiful.
That’s what I used to say but it may be a factor in why I am a little deaf in old age. Never dreamt I would make it anyway so it’s all a bonus lol

My exhaust broke earlier this year, the breakdown van that came out, did not have any wire on board and asked a RAC van which was seeing to another car if he had some, and thankfully he did. The breakdown guy said that if he had wire on board, I would have had to pay for it. :/
They both said that they do not wire up exhausts any more, which I thought was strange.
He ended up talking to the RAC guy about working for them.

I had an exhaust problem a few years ago and needed a complete new one, well not at that exact time but the whole thing was looking pretty iffy, so I decided on a new Stainless Steel one , cost a bit more than an original but hey ho trouble free I thought, So I had it made, the new exhaust was different than an off the shelf one in that it had one less box on it, it was fitted and sounds great, I was told that it would improve the performance of the van too, well I did not believe that but as it turned out it has, it has gone through 4 MOTs since and no problems there so well pleased.
If you're ve
That’s what I used to say but it may be a factor in why I am a little deaf in old age. Never dreamt I would make it anyway so it’s all a bonus lol
Many a time I use to say ill never make old bones,earplugs and no tailgating are my mantra now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back