Bit of a conundrum

izwozral

Following on from the thread about needing a new airbag module:

1. Finally managed to get a new one and the local garage fitted it for me yesterday.

2. The MOT was due on the 25th November which would have failed due to the defunct airbag.

3. MH tax was due yesterday which required a current MOT.

4. Can't get the MOT in for it's new MOT till the 8th Dec at the earliest, this was booked yesterday.

Question:

1. Do I need to SORN until I get an MOT [hopefully] on the 8th Dec?

2. Do I not SORN, get the MOT then tax on the 8th Dec?

3. Am I likely to get a fine for not taxing until the 8th Dec?

4. I understand that I can drive without tax and MOT except when driving to a pre-arranged MOT test.

5. Am I allowed to drive back with new MOT in hand [hopefully] and tax MH on my return?

Tax will start from the 1st of the month, so which ever way you do it shouldn't make any difference. :unsure:

Yes, you need to SORN.
No problem driving to and from MOT station without tax.
Obviously (I hope) you need to be insured to drive to and from MOT station.

It is easy to sorn online and just as easy to tax it once you have the MOT, if you want peace of mind sorn it, either way you cannot drive it except to take it for the test or for taking it for repair.

The following is from the Government website, it states even for a short time for insurance
GOV.UK said:

You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:

• your vehicle is not taxed
  • your vehicle is not insured (even for a short time, for example because there’s a delay renewing your policy)
[\QUOTE]

Thanks guys.
What's annoying is the fact that the garage that fitted the airbag was supposed to do the MOT at the same time, their website states they are a class 7 garage. They have had the MH previously to do the tyres on two occasions and remembered the MH when I booked it in for it's MOT.
Yesterday, they tell me it is too big for ramps. Aaarggh. Had it all gone to plan, I would have had the MOT in hand and the taxed would not be an issue.

Will you be using it or is it parked on the road ? If no , Put tax on it in the same month 1st or 31st all start from 1st back dates
why have them both in the same month ,! tax it for 6 months and then 12. You then get upto 18 month from 1 mot. And if it's fails mot its still taxed.
As long as it's tax you can park it any where if you drive it it has to be insured in it's own right. No insurance that covers for other vehicles, covers a uninsured vehicle.
Good will used to be 14 days. But now any one can look them up on tinternet and busy themselfs.

Unless you plan to drive it other than to a prearranged test in December I would sorn it and save £25, not sure I'd bother with the MOT until you plan to use it again either.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back