BEWARE TV DETECTOR VAN

so two blokes go out get a uniform then buy a nearly new sprinter van,
Then they go out and buy lots of funny shaped antennas for the roof have said van sign written and set up a WiFi network that says TV DETECTOR VAN
Just to come and park behind me on a Sunday night in the middle of nowhere 🤔
Don’t think so

:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 6_Y5QD3eX5vR1p3zv0oaibPRu5B3f_2ZMKgt4qySbok.jpg
    6_Y5QD3eX5vR1p3zv0oaibPRu5B3f_2ZMKgt4qySbok.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 94
i have always believed that no such thing as a Detector Van actually exists... i think they chase addresses where no license has been purchased from the national database held by the BBC

The vans exist but their ability to detect people watching TV was mostly propaganda & myth.
The radiation signal given off was so tiny as to be pointless in trying to detect so they resorted to using high powered directional microphones (like spies use(d)). This allowed them to listen in to the sound & work out which channel was being watched. They then obviously made out it was the 'detector' part that caught you out when they informed you which channel you were watching thereby perpetuating the myth.
These days "TV detector vans work by aiming a camera lens through the windows of a target property. The lens picks up light generated by a TV set, which is focused onto a sensor and converted into an electrical signal that can be electronically analysed. This electronic gizmo gives a percentage probability that the light analysed came from a TV set." (Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yFKKBF5y_kPqJE-dKO0k9ejdRqnZVOgX/view )

In court it was only the admission evidence that ever got anybody a fine.

As you state, it is the database they use to sit outside unlicensed addresses with these pretend detection vans.

The use of the phoney Wi-Fi SSID is just another add on to their scare tactics.

For anybody without a licence, or who would rather not pay for one in future, I strongly recommend reading the info on the website:

i have always believed that no such thing as a Detector Van actually exists... i think they chase addresses where no license has been purchased from the national database held by the BBC

Detector vans are a con, they don’t know if you’re watching the box.
Also, never ever let anyone in to your house.
The BBC don’t call, they put it out to private firms.
If you let your licence lapse, you get a visit from the Heavy Mob, thuggish types who try to scare you.
I expect a visit from these gentlemen in the new year as the beeb has dropped free licences for the over 75s, my telly has recently blown up & I’m buggered if I’m buying a new one, load of crap 💩 on there anyway.
I’m hardly ever at home, spend most time away in the van, let them try & catch me!

Thats not how I read it.

You and anyone who normally lives here with you can:
Use and install TV receiving equipment in vehicles, boats and caravans (except non-touring caravans when someone is watching or recording TV at the licensed place).

I read this as only non touring caravans have the restriction?

Thank you. I stand corrected.

"Your home TV Licence will usually cover you to watch live TV on any channel and BBC programmes on iPlayer on any device away from home.
However, if you’re away from home and plug one of these devices into the mains and use it to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, you need to be covered by a separate TV Licence at that address (unless you’re in a vehicle or vessel like a train, car or boat). It’s the law."
Source: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ129

No one in republican zones here have one as it as they say part of the british war machine. 😂
And the last time a so called detector van went into the loyalist rathcool it was siezed by them and burnt,there were only 3 here and two went up i flames the third one went back to mainland,as others have said it would be difficult to work with two antenna on one chimney reading the back emp signal from set mixers.

Last edited:
When we ran a post office they used to regularyly come and check the register held there for houses with out a licence then visit that address but my mum usualy beat them to it by phoning those without or sent me with a message

When we first became full timers I enquired whether we needed one , at the time I was told that we must have one so paid up etc however at the time whilst trawling through their website I found a separate clause that exempted touring caravans full stop, it didn't matter whether you had a licence for a home address or not ( we didn't obviously ), I contacted them again pointed out the paragraph etc on the website a few minutes later I was apologised to and given a refund.

As mine will not be switched on until im in the irish republic there is little chance of the beb doing anything.

The key points to remember are:
You do not need to have a TV licence to watch a TV; it is what you are viewing on it that may require a licence. Just stick to the billions of hours of content that does not require a licence to watch.
If you do not engage with the "visiting officers" they will not be able to gather enough evidence to convict you. Even if you have been in plain view watching content that requires a licence & you don't engage with them you will be very unlikely to be convicted as they need admissible evidence.

were all concentrating on proof of what is showing on the tv, but to prosecute anyone they have to also prove the watchers identity, as far as im aware theres no legal compulsion to give them any information at all.

So general consensus is it’s a fake
Wonder what kicks they get out of it and I should have taken reg number and reported to police,
Parked in welsh wales tonight so no problem except the noisy sheep

I think the BBC must use the same PR firm as Prince Andrew:

"We have a range of detection tools at our disposal in our vans.

Some aspects of the equipment have been developed in such secrecy that engineers working on specific detection methods work in isolation - so not even they know how the other detection methods work.

This gives us the best chance of catching licence evaders."

Source: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ73

Sure smells like the same BS.

were all concentrating on proof of what is showing on the tv, but to prosecute anyone they have to also prove the watchers identity, as far as im aware theres no legal compulsion to give them any information at all.
The letters that come to my home have my name on them,dont know how they ever got it unless my cat told them cause i did not give him two pouches of food.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back