BEWARE TV DETECTOR VAN

andyjanet

B0BBC1CE-2BF5-4C72-B0C0-0690027F2CF9.png

This flashed up last night whilst reading motorhomer and sure enough white van with funny antennas parked behind us with engine running, we were in the middle of knowwhere near Malvern hills, we don’t watch tv in van but what would have happened if we were

Last edited:
You would have been fine if you have a TV licence at home. It says on the back of the licence that you can also use TV in vehicles, boats and caravans.

There is nothing their van can detect except volume sound.
The naming of the wireless is just another ploy to frighten people.

As others have said, if you have a home licence you are covered but with the caveat that nobody can be at home watching a live broadcast at the same time as you!

If you don't have a licence just don't watch live broadcasts or iPlayer.
You are now entitled to watch TV without a licence, just not the live broadcast material or iPlayer catch up.
Netflix, 4OD etc. etc. are perfectly legal to watch without a licence.

Last edited:
No license at home because we live in the van,
So would rather not use the tv, think I will cut the plug off just in case they follow us

No license at home because we live in the van,
So would rather not use the tv, think I will cut the plug off just in case they follow us
You dont need to worry,its says caught watching tv,but you still can have it on,how on heavens would they be able to prove in a court that your eyes are seeing a picture,impossable.

I didn't know detector vans still existed. I can remember there used to be adverts on the telly about them.
Can you watch on more than one device at a time in the van, eg I sometimes watch a programme on the actual tv set whilst B is watching on phone etc.?
Is it okay to have tv on in van on your own driveway if others are watching in the house?

` Trevskoda I think I'm probably safe then as most of the time when the tv is on in my house, everyone is eyes down on their mobile phones anyway :)
Mind you I wouldn't trust Alexa not to grass ha
As long as you are not proven to be looking at it,you can listen though. ;)

They should knock on your door at 2 in the morning just to double check ;)

There is nothing their van can detect except volume sound. The naming of the wireless is just another ploy to frighten people.
An interesting remark - so wrong I am afraid. A TV emits a variety of signals - eminating from a component that converts one frequency to another. The typical frequency is an intermediate frequency (IF) which is adopted by all manufacturers. This component is basically a transmitter and so the radiation can be detected quite easily. The frequency that is detected will tell the the listening van what channel your TV is using and so they can determine what you are watching.
As others have said - if you have a TV licence at your home address you should be OK.

An interesting remark - so wrong I am afraid. A TV emits a variety of signals - eminating from a component that converts one frequency to another. The typical frequency is an intermediate frequency (IF) which is adopted by all manufacturers. This component is basically a transmitter and so the radiation can be detected quite easily. The frequency that is detected will tell the the listening van what channel your TV is using and so they can determine what you are watching.
As others have said - if you have a TV licence at your home address you should be OK.

Technically correct but in practice irrelevant.
Tiny radiation detection area therefore they have to be very, very close.
Never used in court as evidence to date; probably because it would be inadmissible as evidence.

Also just noticed iPad clock is 12 hrs out, help is it early hrs of the morning or mid afternoon or possibly the Malvern time warp

i was prosecuted in the 1980's for not having a TV license. i had let the house out to a friend whilst i was travelling and i had no TV at the time - my friend installed his TV. he said he had a license. The license man knocked on the door and i stupidly let him him. i was the only one at home. i was prosecuted for watching and installing an unlicensed set. i defended myself. i proved it was not my TV. But the set was on when the license man was here. "Madam even if you are a baby sitter you are still watching an unlicensed set and still committing an offence." i got a very small fine for watching but not guilty of installing.

As others have said, if you have a home licence you are covered but with the caveat that nobody can be at home watching a live broadcast at the same time as you!

Thats not how I read it.

You and anyone who normally lives here with you can:
Use and install TV receiving equipment in vehicles, boats and caravans (except non-touring caravans when someone is watching or recording TV at the licensed place).

I read this as only non touring caravans have the restriction?

Its a lie to scare you, the only way they can prosecute you is for you to make a statement.
Correct i always tell them to ---- of,in fact the last chap here i caught trying to peep through my blinds where my young daughter was getting dressed,he was lifted by me and turfed out the door,he said thats assult,i said no just removing you but if you cross my gates again it sure will be assult,he just walked away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back