Best WiFi booster ? Advice please

Shockingdog

Free Member
Q. What is the best WiFi booster ? Of the many available on the market. What’s would members of this forum recommend. .
Thanks in advance.

Hi Thanks for your comment but it’s for a fixed non mobile application.

In that case can you be more explicit on what you want, i.e. do you want to expand your own wifi network, or do you want to pick up wifi.

I use a few different options, in the van I use a motorhomewifi setup which although not cheap is good and easy to set up
only reason I use that is I bought it when it first came out and I didn't know you could buy the same set up cheaper if you knew what you were doing

At my MIL's if we are not in the van I use a wifi usb directional aerial that works very good, picking up FON signals from a few KM's away, I use it with a 12v usb router if I want to connect more than my laptop otherwise I just plug it in to a usb port

I also have a Solwise Patriot, omnidirectional which I don't need but Maggy does because it is easy

I bought a solwise kit and it is very good at picking up remote wifi,e.g. free site wifi.I,ve not used it for a while now because as before phone date is sufficient.
It is good enough to use with an amazon firetv stick while abroad using one of many free apps to get live tv stations etc.
solwise

Hi ST3v3.To be more specific. My son runs a business from a 40ft shipping container that is on a farm.There is WiFi on the farm but reception where his container is situated is poor. He is wondering if he we can find a WiFi booster to improve his reception. Any suggestions welcome.

Lots of stuff out there if you go look for van or fixed location.

Attachments

• booster.png
    booster.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 135
  • booster a.png
    booster a.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 142
  • booster c.png
    booster c.png
    34 KB · Views: 128
  • booster d.png
    booster d.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 117
  • booster e.png
    booster e.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 141
  • booster f.png
    booster f.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 143
  • boster b.png
    boster b.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 127
I would be trying to put in something like this for the actual link.

That's wired at both ends though, would you be able to hard wire both ends? If not, you'll need a wireless access point in the container as well.

Ive used a lot of Ubiquiti stuff, its excellent. A wifi bridge would be the best solution or they might get away with just using a high power Ubiquiti access point but the devices in the container still need to talk back. Both require a reasonable level of IT knowledge and the ability to mount the external devices. If they dont posses those skills get an IT engineer in. Shouldnt break the bank.

Hi ST3v3.To be more specific. My son runs a business from a 40ft shipping container that is on a farm.There is WiFi on the farm but reception where his container is situated is poor. He is wondering if he we can find a WiFi booster to improve his reception. Any suggestions welcome.

So he gets reception, but it is poor. How many devices does he want to connect. If it's just one laptop(or similar) then the cheap ebay USB ones such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Ran...803588?hash=item2ced2e6c44:g:hDIAAOSwNmddDFvu may well be enough, as an example without one my nabours wifi just shows on my laptop, with it plugged in it shows as max signal, although I've never actually measured the speed, take no notice of it saying XP/Vista/Win7, or it saying use disc to set up, it's 'plug and play' on Win10. If it's more than one device and he has power, then the ones mentioned in other posts will be good, or for a solution at around £50, if he can plug a cat5e cable into router and run that across he can then use a wifi router on end of that, I've done a couple of portacabins like this,

If I understand correctly The problem is if he is inside the container there is very little he can do, personaly I would go for the Motorhome WiFi and have it on a pole high up and pointing at the farm, the modem will then be placed inside the container and he will have a very good signal.
I used one of these for a couple of year and extremely good https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

I would consider replacing Wi-Fi with mobile broadband access.

The cost is now very low and if there is good network coverage that's the way I would go

I would consider replacing Wi-Fi with mobile broadband access.

The cost is now very low and if there is good network coverage that's the way I would go
I'd agree with POI Admin, but if you want to stick with the WiFi then Ubiquiti NanoStation both ends is the best option as long as you have line of sight, we've done this on lots of farms in Shropshire.

Regards,
Del

So he gets reception, but it is poor. How many devices does he want to connect. If it's just one laptop(or similar) then the cheap ebay USB ones such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Ran...803588?hash=item2ced2e6c44:g:hDIAAOSwNmddDFvu may well be enough, as an example without one my nabours wifi just shows on my laptop, with it plugged in it shows as max signal, although I've never actually measured the speed, take no notice of it saying XP/Vista/Win7, or it saying use disc to set up, it's 'plug and play' on Win10. If it's more than one device and he has power, then the ones mentioned in other posts will be good, or for a solution at around £50, if he can plug a cat5e cable into router and run that across he can then use a wifi router on end of that, I've done a couple of portacabins like this,
We have just purchase the one you recommend so let’s hope it does the job.Many thanks for your advice.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back