Best way to sell our Motorhome?

Hi Katherine - big change from setting up a base in Devon to becoming Greek, but totally understandable given how the new restrictions impact your on-the-road lifestyle. How easy was it to get Greek residency?

I understand that many manufacturers have already sold what is coming off their 2021 production lines. Therefore there should be a good market for quality used vans like yours, which could improve what a dealer will pay you as there is strong demand from customers. As others have said selling through a dealer will be less hassle, maybe the one you bought the van from.

Best wishes, hope it all goes smoothly.
Just getting an idea of value now. Ty
Greek residency was a PROCESS! Was prepared with all and more than needed documentation. Some apostille stamped. Greek tax number, tenancy agreement etc. But went smoothly.

Thank you for all your imput.
So we have decided to hold fire for the time being. Too difficult to swap batteries out etc when not around to do it. The financial loss we would have plus what we'd have to pay in Greece, where motorhomes are super expensive. And I'd end up comparing current with replacement and hating it ... And when we can get back to the UK, we will use it as a removals truck to bring our clutter over to 🇬🇷.
In the meantime, if anyone fancies a flight to Crete and then to drive our car back to the UK, do shout!!!

Are you paying the costs to get it back fuel/ferry and the flight ?? - Were all stuck until restrictions lift though
We would do ... talking to an animal charity at the moment. They may fly someone out to bring the car back laden with 🐕... if not current freight quote is £1500!!!

If you get stuck you can ask me when restrictions lift i may offer provided transport costs are covered

If you get stuck you can ask me when restrictions lift i may offer provided transport costs are covered
Thank you for your kind offer, if restrictions lift, we can do it ourselves ... problem is come start April when car will have been in Greece for 6 months... facing big fines if it overstay. At least with uk / Irish passports we can transit it back. Then return in the van, transit with greek documents. We can hold fire for a few months and fingers crossed the whole situation improves.

We would do ... talking to an animal charity at the moment. They may fly someone out to bring the car back laden with 🐕... if not current freight quote is £1500!!!

That's a brilliant idea with the animal charity, win win!

If it doesn't come off it may well be worth advertising to see if any body has another business reason to go there. They may well even be willing to split the costs.

Thank you for your kind offer, if restrictions lift, we can do it ourselves ... problem is come start April when car will have been in Greece for 6 months... facing big fines if it overstay. At least with uk / Irish passports we can transit it back. Then return in the van, transit with greek documents. We can hold fire for a few months and fingers crossed the whole situation improves.
Would it not be cheaper and easier to find a Greek(s) to drive it to Calais (possibly England)? In my twenties I would have done it for free if you permitted me 6 weeks or similiar to do it in. Easy to track the vehicle these days

The Lonely Planet forum is called 'Thorntree' and the Greek www will be full of travelling inclined people

Last edited:
If you need it moved by april you wont have a hope in hell getting someone from uk to move it you need someone who is already out there

Another consideration regarding anyone moving the car to UK is that it seems very likely that hotel quarantine is shortly to be implemented, giving additional costs of over £1000. Possibly moving it to a different country may be an interim solution.

Would it not be cheaper and easier to find a Greek(s) to drive it to Calais (possibly England)? In my twenties I would have done it for free if you permitted me 6 weeks or similiar to do it in. Easy to track the vehicle these days

The Lonely Planet forum is called 'Thorntree' and the Greek www will be full of travelling inclined people
Saw your van in Hebden a few weeks ago. Great paint job! What model is it?

Yes, have posted on local forums... a few Brits interested and, in theory, they would have right of transit. But read about a uk couple trying to drive their car back for its MOT ... got stuck in Montenegro.

Another consideration regarding anyone moving the car to UK is that it seems very likely that hotel quarantine is shortly to be implemented, giving additional costs of over £1000. Possibly moving it to a different country may be an interim solution.
And with different covid tests at each border, 3 ferries etc ... the freight cost is starting to look attractive!

Reactions: 2cv
Allowing an "unkown" person or maybe dodgy agency access to your vehicle is (IMO) very risky.
As well as the obvious risk of theft..
Extra insurance for a new driver and what if there is a minor repair needed en-route.
Either drive it yourself or as you now seem to be considering "freight it"..But where to
A port where you will need to collect it
An address in UK
A dealer for them to buy it ?

Not easy !!!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back